Tingling toes on the elliptical???

Options
Anyone else ever experience this? Over the years, and at my heaviest and lightest weights, anytime I workout on an elliptical, or similar machine, after about 20 minutes my toes start to fall asleep. It's such a great calorie burn, but this is really annoying! I've never run into anyone who can relate.

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes very snug? I've never had this happen.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too...happens to me also. I've tried adjsuting my sneakers to be looser and tighter and nothing seems to help.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I've seen this topic come up before- if you don't get any answers, SEARCH that topic and you might find
    some good ideas
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    happened to me several times, but i can't tell you why. i thought maybe because i was on my toes a lot instead of pressing down with my entire foot. don't know. it comes and goes.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Happens every time i get on the elliptical. I have gotten used to it over the years my husband says its because i have poor circulation. I don't know if that is true or not but it is annoying.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It happens to me everytime.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You're putting too much pressure on the front of your feet. Make sure you're using your whole foot for balance and not just your forefoot. If you lean back and put the pressure on your heels for a few minutes the tingling will go away in your toes. :wink:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It happens to me sometimes in my cardio kickboxing class. I assume it is because i am trying to be "light on my toes" so all my weight is there, and cutting off circulation. Could you be doing the same thing on the elliptical?
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me and my friends. So if I wear snug shoes, correct fitting this always occurs. I have a pair of trainers 1/2 size larger than I need and there is no tingling.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. I actually saw a podiatrist for it. She said it is normal with that machine but did have me to to a nuerologist for testing just in case. I am fine.. I guess it is just the way we put pressure on our feet with that machine. I agree... very annoying.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    yes...and I don't know why either! I've tried looser shoes and tighter shoes but I think it's form. I tend to bounce a little and put weight on my toes. If I think about it and try putting my weight on my heels the tingling goes away. Best of luck because I know it is VERY annoying!
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen too. It is usually when I haven't worked out in a while. After a few days it stops.
  • BrandiLynn8064
    Options
    I have this happen on the recumbent bike, but I don't know why. It's weird!
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    This happens to me almost every time! I think that it is because my feet are usually so stationary. When I realize i am doing this and my toes start tingling, I start to stretch and move them and include them more in the motion. With running, your feet are constantly flexing, so try to use those same motions on the elliptical. It's really easy to leave them flat on the platform, but if you move them your feet will feel better! Worked for me!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I get the numb toes too if I'm on the elliptical for more than about 35-40 mins. I've done some reading on the forums here & on google, and all I come up with really is to make sure your shoes aren't too snug and watch your posture. I've tried both suggestions & it seems the posture thing is the key, at least for me. It's tempting for me to want to lean forward a bit, but if I keep my posture strong, my toes are happier.

Will be interested to hear what others suggest.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have had this also - what happens is your feet are planted and not moving around - unlike walking/running when you shift your feet - try shifting your feet, going backward more motion - that has seemed to help me....
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I gave the elliptical up because of this reason~ my feet would fall asleep about 15 minutes into my workout. I do the total gym & treadmill now... no problems.
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not saying this is what it is but might give you more info. Try Googling neuroma. I have the same issue. When I walk long distances also, more than 2 miles, I get that and also on the elliptical and recumbent bike. I try to move my foot from front to back on the pedal putting it in different spots. Seems to help some.
  • prbyjennyd
    prbyjennyd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every time like clockwork, but at the 30 minute mark. Thanks for posting, I loved reading the responses.
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me and I have poor circulation. I think it's bc i put all my weight on the toes. When I make sure I keep my feet flat it doesn't happen.