tofu. . .

Options
what is tofu really?? what does it taste like??

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Tofu is soy beans. It is really good for you. I find that it tastes like whatever seasoning you add to it. It can replace meat, but it doesn't taste like meat or have the same consistency as meat. I've bought Morning Star brand and that's not really bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    what is tofu really?? what does it taste like??

It has very little taste of it's own, which is why it's so great. It will take on the flavors of food it is cooked with.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I'm not crazy about it. I prefer seitan or tempeh. I'm a texture person and the only way I like tofu is baked, otherwise it's texture is too... blah
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I REFUSE TO EAT TOFU....there are other options for losing weight lol <---MY opinion not a general consensus
  • chauser1022
    Options
    I love tofu! It has to be prepared well though. It takes on the taste of whatever you prepare it with or marinate it in. The best thing to do it to press it first to remove the excess liquid then marinate it. Yum, yum!!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    bleccchh!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I love tofu! It has to be prepared well though. It takes on the taste of whatever you prepare it with or marinate it in. The best thing to do it to press it first to remove the excess liquid then marinate it. Yum, yum!!!
    marinate it in what exactly??
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    280-1T.jpg

Try a sweet and sour tofu
    446243148_153a741390.jpg

or breakfast tofu scramble to start.
    CIMG2368.JPG

Run a search on your favorite search engine for recipes.

Later try it grilled, with rice, with beans, the recipes are endless and yummy!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I'm not crazy about it. I prefer seitan or tempeh. I'm a texture person and the only way I like tofu is baked, otherwise it's texture is too... blah

There is one brand of tofu in some of my grocery stores that makes tofu nuggets. They are good! Nice in chewy. Or tofu skins have good texture too.
  • chauser1022
    Options
  • chauser1022
    Options
    You can marinate it in anything. My favorite is a spicy Korean chile sauce. For this, I like the extra firm. I just cut the tofu into fourths or sixths, put it flat onto a pile of paper towels on a plate, put a bunch more paper towels on top of it, stack a ton of plates on top of that, and put it in the fridge. After a few hours you can take the tofu out and put it in a big baggy with the sauce and let it marinate. Then you can grill it, bake it, broil it, saute it, whatever. Try lots of different things. You can replace almost anything with tofu. I use it in my "cream" soups instead of cream to make it vegan. In that case you use the silken soft kind.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I went to Uwajimaya (large Asian grocery store in Seattle) over the weekend and got three kinds of tofu -- silken, firm and mild Szechuan smoked organic with sprouts. So far I've only tried the silken, which we cut into cubes and had in miso soup. It was delicious -- pretty bland in itself but it takes up the flavors of whatever it's in and has a pleasant texture. Some of the other advantages -- it's low cost, low in calories (170 in 10 ounces of the silken type, and my husband I had less than 5 ounces each) and high in protein (20 grams in 10 ounces). I always like tofu when I order it in Asian restaurants, but now I'm going to try to cook with it more often, mainly in soups and stir-fries.
    I don't really agree with those people who say "life is too short" to learn to like something that's healthy but not initially appealing, whether it's broccoli, tofu, yogurt or oatmeal. I think it's worth at least trying to see if there is a way to make it that you would like; otherwise you eliminate a lot of the healthy choices that are out there. Especially with things like tofu and oatmeal that are inexpensive as well as healthy and low in calories, I say give them a chance. I can think of so many things that I used to dislike that I now love after a little experimentation -- such as artichokes, asparagus, Brussels sprouts and spaghetti squash.
    Also, as some people may have noticed, the February issue of Martha Stewart LIving has a section on tofu, including recipes, along with Martha's own story of discovering the joys of soy bean paste.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Freeze it before you eat it, it will have a better texture
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I use honey garlic sauce, just a bit on the outside, or low sodium soy sauce. I also mix it in with tomato sauce for pasta, basically anything you put it with, that's what it tastes like. I use the Sunrise extra firm. Love it!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian and I love my meat. I also really enjoy tofu! It's great in hot and sour soup or miso soup. I also love it stir fried. You have to add flavor to it or it tastes like... well... nothing really. I don't eat it all the time (the other person in the household won't even try it *sigh*) but I do enjoy it on occasion.
  • chauser1022
    Options
    I just thought of one more thing. There is also Tofu Shirataki Noodles. They are super low calorie noodle replacement.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well you can put it with a spicy tomato sauce and some vegetables.

Put it on brown rice with some vegetables and soy sauce (and siracha if it strikes your fancy).

Replace paneer with it in healthified indian recipes.

Grill it!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can marinate it in anything. My favorite is a spicy Korean chile sauce.

YES! Spicy tofu is awesome!!! I can not get enough of spicy tofu. Seriously it is like crack.

I remember the first time I had tofu, it was soft tofu used as a replacement for chicken in an Italian pasta recipe. No marination, no browning, just slimy, gelatinous cubes. Seriously, GROSS. I didn't eat it for years.

But then I took a cooking class, and we had these little marinated, seared and baked tofu cubes - delicious!

Lately I have been having tofu pita sandwiches for lunch, thusly:

I buy the pre-marinated/cooked smoked tofu, then, I mash it up with a fork (sometimes a pastry cutter) until it's scrambled egg consistency, mix in some finely diced vegetables, such as carrots, onions, celery, peppers, etc.

Next, I drizzle some dark sesame oil on, add then soy sauce or thai peanut sauce or sometimes a chile sauce. OR SOMETIMES ALL THREE! BWAHAHAHA! Then I sort of mix it all together and let it sit for a few min.

Finally, I load the mixture into a whole wheat pita and stuff it to the gills with lettuce.

And for some strange reason I like to eat this with orange juice. That's just weird.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I will still ask the same question again...
    Is Tofu bad for health in anyway???
    Once I had a personal trainer and she told me that its really like a poison for females as it has a kind of protein which is very hard to digest and it gets all stored as fats in the lower body ..
    I am too fat already so I don't want to risk myself hence I stopped eating it :grumble: