Tingling toes on the elliptical???

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The reason it happens is because of the CONSISTENT pressure on the ball of your foot. Since you don't get much of a chance to actually lift your feet off and your whole body weight is mostly on that point, it compresses the nerves in that area and causes your foot to feel like it fell asleep.
    You can try occasionally shifting your weight to your heels for a few minutes and lift your toes up off the pedals, then switch back again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The reason it happens is because of the CONSISTENT pressure on the ball of your foot. Since you don't get much of a chance to actually lift your feet off and your whole body weight is mostly on that point, it compresses the nerves in that area and causes your foot to feel like it fell asleep.
    You can try occasionally shifting your weight to your heels for a few minutes and lift your toes up off the pedals, then switch back again.

Yeah, I get this a lot and this helps. If it gets too bad, get off, stroll for 30 seconds or so, and get back on again. But I do what ninerbuff suggests here throughout my elliptical session, shifting about a little, and it doesn't happen so badly anymore.

Also, do check the fit of your shoes. My old asics used to be a bit snug - a better width fitting has helped a lot with this problem, though it didn't make it go away entirely.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me too! I shift my feet and it does help a little. This is the main reason I don't like elliptical!
  • laurenlind
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time, and then I got new shoes and tried being mroe conscious of how I was putting pressure on my feet and it got better. Still happens ocassionally, but not nearly as much.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    That happens to me all the time! I try to actually lift my feet off the pedals every couple of minutes. I'm not sure why it happens. It's still a good workout, so I keep doing it.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't the only one!! What gives? Mine fall asleep too!! I have properly fitted running shoes that I got at a running store (tried on 12 pair, finally walked out with the right ones).

Even my Nike trainer shoes give the same feeling.. and those are great in the gym!

One thing I did to help was redistribute the weight onto the ball of my foot and that seems to be causing less numbness.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I used to get this all of the time. This sounds weird, but what works is to lift your toes in your shoes periodically and wiggle them a little bit while you work out. Basically, your toes will touch the top of your shoes and just wiggle them for a second or two, do this throughout the workout and you won't have that problem anymore.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one! It is right around the 30 minute mark for me as well. I do try to move my feet a bit and wiggle my toes, but I have terrible coordination and just about kill myself when I do this. I love the elliptical so will put up with it. Great post!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    this used to happen to me when i first started using one but not so much now try tip toeing everytime you push down it should move the blood around in your foot more x
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me all the time too. I bought shoes that are slightly looser in teh toes and I wear thinner socks. It helps a litte bit. But i got so fed up i stopped using teh elliptical and I do inclince intervals on teh treadmil instead burnd great als and has totally shapped my butt.

I use a 3.0 pace through out. I begin at a zero incline and increase every 2 minutes to 12.0 or 14.0 the come back down. I weight 215ish and burn about 250cals in 30min doing this.

Good luck!
  • freaky67
    freaky67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem, but mine is due to my foot surgery's and the nerve damage thats occured because of it. I know that if I go do 4 min forward, 4 min reverse this seams to cut down on that feeling. I also stretch before and after getting on to make sure everythings happy after.
  • aelliott0224
    aelliott0224 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get it everytime too, i thought it was the Walk fit inserts in my shoes, glad I'm not alone!
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Happens to me EVERY TIME too… I noticed that if I pick my feet up (like I’m walking) it goes away. So once I start to notice it I just do that for a few beats and it’s all fine again.
    Very annoying though I agree! :grumble:
  • Lillemeddy
    Options
    I had the same problem. What I found is that BAD POSTURE on the elliptical will cause this. Try to reduce incline, speed or resistance and make sure that your weight is mainly on your heels and not the balls of your feet. Like you're doing dead lifts.

Take a look at this link for other causes.. http://www.livestrong.com/article/538077-what-is-the-cause-of-numbness-tingling-in-the-feet-while-on-an-elliptical/
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    You're putting too much pressure on the front of your feet. Make sure you're using your whole foot for balance and not just your forefoot. If you lean back and put the pressure on your heels for a few minutes the tingling will go away in your toes. :wink:

Good to know cause it drives me crazy...i have a bad habit on walking on my forefoot
  • bono
    bono Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Same here! When it starts I switch and go backwards for ten or so seconds and move my feet a little and it seems to help
  • baby72500
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen everytime I'm on the eliptical, bike or arc trainer. I love the arc trainer, but its very annoying that once I hit about 30 mins there goes the toes. I've tried numerous things... tightening shoes, loosening shoes, differents shoes, different positions, you name it. It does seem to help if I lean back for a while, but the best thing I've found so far are those new walking shoes by sketchers. The ones with the big sole with the curve in the middle thats suposed to work out your butt while you walk. After reading some of the other posts I'm assuming it because it keeps the pressure off the ball of my foot. I've found it helps when I'm on the bike too, although I've over heard a few comments from fellow gym goers giggling for using the "walking" shoes while sitting on the bike. But hey if it works... why not?
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    happens to me on my bicycle and running too. Heck, it happens when I'm standing folding laundry barefoot, so I guess I should check my stance and get off my toes so much... LOL!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time! A trainer told me that I needed to adjust my feet and distribute weight evenly. Apparently I was putting too much pressure on the ball of my foot. I now try to push more evenly or from the heel. It seems to work. When I concentrate on foot placement, I don't get the tingly sensation.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You're putting too much pressure on the front of your feet. Make sure you're using your whole foot for balance and not just your forefoot. If you lean back and put the pressure on your heels for a few minutes the tingling will go away in your toes. :wink:

Yeppers... this is it!