Tofu

Options
Hello Everyone,

I would love to try tofu, any suggestions or recipes? I am totally new to this. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You'd think I'd know as a life long vegetarian, but I have no idea. Will look forward to seeing what others post.
  • cupcake721
    cupcake721 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This sounds a bit gross, but I swear it's not. I put tofu in my smoothies! I get firm tofu and put a bunch in the blender with my OJ and frozen fruits. It literally makes no difference texturally or taste wise and it's way better (I think) than whey protein powder or something. Other than that, tofu completely stumps me. :happy:
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I saute garlic in olive oil. Put in cubed tofu and brown it. I then add some cayenne pepper and add vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The best way to try tofu is to go to the Asian market and buy the freshly made ones, which has a mousse-like texture and is very soft. It has a very short shelf life because there is no preservatives in it, and you keep it in the fridge in fresh water (that you change daily/every other day) It doesn't taste like much but you can eat it straight like that with soy sauce or with soy/sesame dressing. Of course it can be used in many recipes too.

I know a lot of the major supermarkets are selling tofu these days but they are not the same types as the ones they eat in many Asian countries where they've been eating them for centuries! I've had some real hits and misses at the supermarket. The ones I like are the good firm kind that I use in stir-frys and Pad Thai recipes. Yum! Some are unfortunate white chalky hockey pucks. You may luck out but I'd hate for your first experience to be a bad one!

Better yet, go to a good Japanese, Korean, Chinese or even Thai restaurant and try a tofu dish! They are delissh!
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    I buy the Cauldron spiced tofu and put it in stir fry and well...everything! I have tried several time to season the plain blocks of tofu but every time it has been a disgusting failure :frown:
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just posted about tofu somewhere else on here. :^)

My favorite brand is a Wildwood brand of sprouted tofu. I generally buy the firm or super firm. Don't get the silken unless you are going to be pureeing it into something - a dessert or soup or whatever.

How I prepare my tofu is this...drain off the water from the package. I slice the block into 1/2 to 3/4" slices. I cover a cutting board with a kitchen towel, then paper towels and lay my tofu slices flat, then cover with more paper towels and another kitchen towel and add a weight to the top - usually a big piece of heavy stoneware. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Then you can marinate or season and bake it or saute it on the stove. It will pick up the flavors in your marinade.

I have three of my favorite tofu recipes on my blog: http://vegancajun.blogspot.com/search/label/tofu.

What
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Baked tofu is pretty darned good, too. You can find that as well... makes good snacks.

We like scrambled tofu, sauted tofu, and baked tofu. I also use the silken tofu for making "white" sauces (back when I cooked a lot)
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This sounds a bit gross, but I swear it's not. I put tofu in my smoothies! I get firm tofu and put a bunch in the blender with my OJ and frozen fruits. It literally makes no difference texturally or taste wise and it's way better (I think) than whey protein powder or something. Other than that, tofu completely stumps me. :happy:

I do this too! It works and is a great source of protein and you can't even taste it in a smoothie!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    my version is probably unhealthy but I like to get firm or extra firm tofu and fry it in oil until it is crispy on the outside (takes a while). Then put it in orange sauce or hoison sauce.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Make a chicken or veg stock with granules, add ground black pepper (I like it peppery) add beansprouts, some glass noodles & silken egg tofu, boil until the noodles are soft & the you are good to go. Loves me some silken egg tofu don't likes the hard stuff that comes in cartons. puke.
  • beatnikmel
    Options
    http://www.egglesscooking.com/2009/02/21/vegan-pasta-creamy-tomato-sauce/
    I'll be making this at the end of the week, so I don't know yet how it tastes, but it sure looks good! :)
  • ShabokaMegz
    ShabokaMegz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tofu-tacos-recipe/index.html

YUMMY tofu tacos! my meat loving husband adored it! 8o)

oh and it's great in your morning smoothie as well!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/strawberry_almond_smoothie.html