How can I burn the fat on my thighs?

Options
I have done a great job at building muscles for my calves and I have amazing calf muscles, but I have huge thighs! I weight about 184 and my thighs, next to my stomach, are the worst part about my body. I'm looking for exercise that can burn the fat and build some muscle on my thighs.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks (:

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The same way you burn fat anywhere else. Diet and exercise. No spot reduction, no spot reduction, no spot reduction
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You cannot isolate fat burn. If you do 1000 crunches a day you will not reduce the fat around your stomach. You will strengthen (and probably injure) your abs, but it won't spot reduce the fat there.

Same with legs, etc...

If you want to build muscle on your legs look at leg extensions and squats. It won't remove the fat from there but it will build the muscle in that area.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat unfortunately. It's all down to your genetics but if you keep up a calorie deficit you will lose fat overall, eventually coming from your thighs :)

To build muscle / tone up in that area, squats, lunges and deadlifts are all great exercises
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was lunges. I was afraid that my thighs would just bulk up instead of shrinking, but I've lost about 3 inches from each in the past few months. The dvds I usually do are Jillian's Banish Fat, Boot Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones, and The Biggest Loser Cardio Maxx (this one has serious lunges). At first I could barely do any, but now I can actually go down so low my back knee hits the ground and I hardly feel a burn. Squats will help as well. I still have some fat in the inner part of my thigh, but from my knee to almost 3/4's of the way up looks so much slimmer.
  • claudiainfante74
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!
    Because is a dance based cardio workout, it works maily your legs and buttocks... give it a try, the average calorie burn for 60 miutes of Zumba is 520!!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can't spot treat an area...You can only reduce your overall percent of fat. I think this type of question has been asked at least 5,000 times.
  • DIVATRUFFEL0116
    Options
    squats!!! lunges!!! circuit with the leg extension machine. My lower body is getting there but I wear a size 12 skirt and 12 med junior jeans. Thank you squats you are the love of my life>
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    agree! We need a "LIKE" button!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Fat is like a wet sponge, impossible to dry one part of the sponge out, while the other part remains wet.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Everyone's right--you can't spot-reduce, but running always slims my legs. Gives them that nice inner curve...if that makes any sense.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    jogging/running really helped mine. x
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Fat is like a wet sponge, impossible to dry one part of the sponge out, while the other part remains wet.

Perfect analogy.
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    running- helps to slim them
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    Lose weight. You can't spot train. Also, the first place you gain weight is the last place you lose it generally.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, but they'll look better if you do exercises to preserve the muscles there. Squats, leg curls, leg extensions, and leg presses.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight from specific areas, but I found Pilates helped me tone and strengthen my thighs a lot.
  • finallygettingskinny2013
    Options
    Wow thanks guys :) Yeah, I guess my main question would be how to add the muscle. Wrong phrasing, huh? You guys are all awesome! With dancing, I do Gold's Gym Dance Workout, my calves build muscle more than my thighs.

Thanks so much :) It looks like I'll be doing a lot of squats, lunges, running, and maybe I'll try Pilates. Thanks so much :) If you have any more advice keep em coming!
  • nutrition_nerd8
    Options
    can't spot reduce fat! one legged dips, running, swimming, squats, lunges.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The same way you burn fat anywhere else. Diet and exercise. No spot reduction, no spot reduction, no spot reduction
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Easiest way I have found is to take a match, light it, stick it between your thighs :)