Sugars in fruit

Options
ashfuse
ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
Do you guys count the natural sugar in your fruits? My daily sugar goal is about 30 g and I keep going over but it's mostly from fruit as the other foods I eat is either sugar free or no sugar added and pretty low in sugar . I'm usually over by like 20 g

Replies

• GrahamBarwick
    Options
    count, it is still sugar. Too much fruit is no good for you because of the sugar. Too much and eventually it will be stored as fat, same as any other sugar really :)
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Totally fine! I asked my doctor the same thing. He said natural sugar is the best sugar to have :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruit, sugars from cotton candy, carbohydrate from pasta or green beans...your body turns it all to glucose.
  • oreoschick
    oreoschick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count fruit Because it's a more natural sugar and most fruits (except melons) have low numbers on the Glycemic index, meaning that they don't cause a spike in your blood sugar.
  • PWanks
    PWanks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think the sugars in fruit are particularly harmful. I know when I did Weight Watchers, most fruit was 0 points because it understands that your body uses the sugar in fruit differently than it would the sugar in chocolate for example. Fruit doesn't make you fat. It's unprocessed and natural and it's good for you!
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    count, it is still sugar. Too much fruit is no good for you because of the sugar. Too much and eventually it will be stored as fat, same as any other sugar really :)

Please describe the metabolic pathway by which sugar is stored as fat. Thanks.
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options

why?????? who are you
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. The difference being that the sugar in fruit actually comes with some nutritional value as opposed to the sugar in a candy bar which is just crap and more crap.

Using vegetables as snacks instead of fruit can help keep your sugar in check.

For me fruits are a morning and early afternoon thing. That way I know I'll burn the sugar.

Why do you want to keep your sugar levels low?
    Because the ingestion of sugar triggers your body to create more insulin. An excess of insulin will then cause you to store fat.
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    at the end of the day i know its a fact that whatever sugar it is the body turns it all to glucose
  • rejoicin
    Options
    I try to limit myself to 2 servings of fruit a day and ones that are lower in sugar...berries, apples, oranges, grapefruit, peaches, pears, plums, prunes and red grapes are considered lower sugar fruits. Berries and apples are probably the lowest. And eat your fruit before 2pm each day as it is also a carb and its easy to burn off if eaten earlier in the day.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

why?????? who are you

You said sugar is stored as fat. I'd like to know how.
  • APHerrera
    APHerrera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If your goals are simply to lose weight, then yes too much fruit is bad for you. But if your goals include greater nutrition and a more whole-foods based diet, then eat as much fruit as you want! I really think eating raw fruits and vegetables is VERY UNLIKELY to make you overweight. I still count the sugars, but I'm not too hard on myself if I go "over" on my sugar intake just because of fruit (which happens frequently).
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    no way in hell Im giving up my bananas. :)
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options

why?????? who are you

You said sugar is stored as fat. I'd like to know how.
    whats it got to do with you how i know, who are you god
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I eat an apple, my blood sugar goes up. When I eat a candy bar, my blood sugar goes up. I'm diabetic, so I pay attention to these things. My body doesn't seem to know the difference between "good" sugar and "bad sugar," as far as my blood sugar is concerned. With that said, I watch my carb intake but don't worry if I go over on sugar as long as I'm under on carbs.
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If your goals are simply to lose weight, then yes too much fruit is bad for you. But if your goals include greater nutrition and a more whole-foods based diet, then eat as much fruit as you want! I really think eating raw fruits and vegetables is VERY UNLIKELY to make you overweight. I still count the sugars, but I'm not too hard on myself if I go "over" on my sugar intake just because of fruit (which happens frequently).
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruit, sugars from cotton candy, carbohydrate from pasta or green beans...your body turns it all to glucose.

^^THIS! Sugar is sugar is sugar. Where ever you get it, its still sugar.

On that note, getting it from an apple IS going to be better for you than getting it from a candy bar because of the other nutrients you are concerned about.
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    +1 agreed with above
  • juliagulia624
    Options

Woops. I meant to write something after that! haha

Anyway this is on point. It DEPENDS on your goals/current body fat/etc. When I get down to low body fat levels and I want to get to the lowest possible, I cut out fruit because it is still sugar. If someone has alot of weight to lose the sugar/carbs in fruit will not totally derail their efforts as it is still healthy and better than most other snack options. But once your body starts getting to low body fat levels, you should limit fruit intake if you are trying to get even leaner.
  • rejoicin
    Options
    "Whether, a person eats monosaccharides individually, as in honey, or linked together, as in table sugar, they end up the same way in the body: as glucose and fructose. This is not to say that all sugar sources are alike, for some are more nutritious than others. Consider a fruit, say, an orange. The fruit may give you the same amounts of frutose and glucose and the same number of calories as a dose of sugar or honey, but the packaging is more valuable nutritionally. The fruit's sugars arrive in the body diluted in a large volume of water, packaged in fiber, and mixed with valuable minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals." Taken from the Curves Understanding Nutrition book.