Sugars in fruit

Options

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do. I can eat an apple on a day I don't workout and I will gain the next day.

Sugar is Sugar. You got to count it.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    count, it is still sugar. Too much fruit is no good for you because of the sugar. Too much and eventually it will be stored as fat, same as any other sugar really :)

Please describe the metabolic pathway by which sugar is stored as fat. Thanks.

Sugar-->Glucose-->Glycogen-->Fat

This is, of course, simplistic.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you have been very helpful!!!
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I was noticing that I was going over my alotted sugar as well. I'll count it and be aware of it, but if I'm over due to fruit, I'm over. Seeing myself in the red lets me know to be more conscious as to where my sugar is coming from. I usually have a banana as part of my breakfast and an apple during the early afternoon. Fruit (in moderation) is good for us. If I saw that my sugar count was really over and it was because of candies, pop, chocolate, syrup, etc., then I think I'd need to take a closer look.

So, in short, I say be aware of where your sugar count is coming from and if you'd like to lower it, remove the refined sugars from your diet (like my Nutella sandwich for breakfast today), but I say keep the 1-2 servings of fruit per day!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    count, it is still sugar. Too much fruit is no good for you because of the sugar. Too much and eventually it will be stored as fat, same as any other sugar really :)

It's also 100% wrong
  • UponThisRock
    Options

why?????? who are you

You said sugar is stored as fat. I'd like to know how.
    whats it got to do with you how i know, who are you god

He is that one guy. He's just trying to say "So what if it converts to fat?" So does protein,and of course fat turns in to fat too.

Protein doesn't turn into fat either
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not necessarily just sugar. There's simple sugars and there's complex sugars. These digest differently in the system and that's what makes the difference. I remember this from a college level nutrition course but here's an article explaining the difference.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/101/nutrition-basics/good-carbs-bad-carbs.aspx

"Fruits and vegetables are actually simple carbohydrates — still composed of basic sugars, although they are drastically different from other foods in the category, like cookies and cakes. The fiber in fruits and vegetables changes the way that the body processes their sugars and slows down their digestion, making them a bit more like complex carbohydrates."

You NEED carbs (sugar) for energy. If you don't have a balance, all work you are doing will not pay off in the long run or your body will start "eating" the wrong sources for fuel.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

why?????? who are you

Just a guess but i think he meant how is it stored as fat, not how you know. Either way sugar in fruit does get stored as fat if not used same as any other sugar. The great thing is that natural sugar from fruit takes longer to convert to glucose where the refined sugar from sweets gets into the system much more quickly, spiking blood sugar and the body panics to produce insulin to convert it. once it is converted (much more quickly than sugar from fruit) you have lots of extra insulin in your system and now feel hungry and "crash". I hope that helps.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

why?????? who are you

I'm just that guy whose pointing out that you have no idea what you're talking about
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Just a guess but i think he meant how is it stored as fat, not how you know. Either way sugar in fruit does get stored as fat if not used same as any other sugar. The great thing is that natural sugar from fruit takes longer to convert to glucose where the refined sugar from sweets gets into the system much more quickly, spiking blood sugar and the body panics to produce insulin to convert it. once it is converted (much more quickly than sugar from fruit) you have lots of extra insulin in your system and now feel hungry and "crash". I hope that helps.

Sugar does not get stored as fat, and does not cause your body to "panic," unless you have a medical condition.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options

It's also 100% wrong

You're right, you can eat all the sugar you want and never gain an ounce of fat....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do not count sugars in fruits, because I'm not diabetic. For a non-diabetic you shouldn't have to worry about it.
    Sugar is not necessarily just sugar. There's simple sugars and there's complex sugars. These digest differently in the system and that's what makes the difference. I remember this from a college level nutrition course but here's an article explaining the difference.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/101/nutrition-basics/good-carbs-bad-carbs.aspx

"Fruits and vegetables are actually simple carbohydrates — still composed of basic sugars, although they are drastically different from other foods in the category, like cookies and cakes. The fiber in fruits and vegetables changes the way that the body processes their sugars and slows down their digestion, making them a bit more like complex carbohydrates."

You NEED carbs (sugar) for energy. If you don't have a balance, all work you are doing will not pay off in the long run or your body will start "eating" the wrong sources for fuel.

^^^THIS^^^
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Too much of anything turns in to fat. Glucose converts to fat when glycogen stores are full. If you eat too much protein, it gets converted to glucose by the gluconeogenesis process and this goes back "are glycogen stores full?" IF yes, then it gets converted to fat as well.

If glycogen stores are full, more carbs are used for energy and fat burning is down-regulated. Very little will ever be converted to fat, because the metabolic pathway necessary for this to happen is highly inactive in humans.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I'm not arguing with you because it isn't worth my time.

Also, the pathway I posted earlier was in specific response to how sugar CAN be converted to fat. IN NO WAY was I saying that all sugar consumed is turned to fat. Just to clarify.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I'm not arguing with you because it isn't worth my time.

Also, the pathway I posted earlier was in specific response to how sugar CAN be converted to fat. IN NO WAY was I saying that all sugar consumed is turned to fat. Just to clarify.

A more accurate statement would be: "Very little, if any, will ever be converted to fat."
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options

Too much of anything turns in to fat. Glucose converts to fat when glycogen stores are full. If you eat too much protein, it gets converted to glucose by the gluconeogenesis process and this goes back "are glycogen stores full?" IF yes, then it gets converted to fat as well.

If glycogen stores are full, more carbs are used for energy and fat burning is down-regulated. Very little will ever be converted to fat, because the metabolic pathway necessary for this to happen is highly inactive in humans.

what a tool...............hahahahahahahah no really an actuall tool..

this link here explains what happens to Excess fatty acids, glucose, and other nutrients can be stored efficiently as fat-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid_metabolism
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    your the guy who needs to get a life :love: hahahaha
  • GrahamBarwick
    Options
    so if this is true and this comes fro a factual source then excess sugar will eventually store as fat

Fatty acids are an important source of energy and adenosine triphosphate (ATP) for many cellular organisms. Excess fatty acids, glucose, and other nutrients can be stored efficiently as fat. Triglycerides yield more than twice as much energy for the same mass as do carbohydrates or proteins

read the full page
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options

what a tool...............hahahahahahahah no really an actuall tool..

this link here explains what happens to Excess fatty acids, glucose, and other nutrients can be stored efficiently as fat-

Really? You're going to cite Wikipedia as a source? One of THE MOST unreliable sites for information?

I don't know which information is right, but you can definitely bet that I am going to go with the guy who DOESN'T cite Wikipedia as his sole reference.

That being said, I would count/log fruits for my sugars (I don't have my sugar displayed at the moment in my food log), but I wouldn't be too terribly worried if I were over due to fruit. Fruit is SO good for you!
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ok, just wanted to put in my two cents.

You should count it as sugar, it is what it is.

However, sugar in fruit is the only sugar I would consume. After all, you need this natural sugar to sustain yourself. If you are really trying to lose weight, DO NOT put any white/refined sugar (high fructose corn syrup included) in your body. Fruit contains "fiber" which helps cancel out the storing of fat process. Its sugars antidote if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM <--- watch this video, sugar the bitter truth. Its very good.