Calories Burned from Insanity Workouts?

I just got an HRM so I could keep track of calories burned while I do Insanity (and other things too). Today is my first day using it, I did Plyo Cardio Circuit and it says I burned over 800 calories. Does anyone keep track of their calories with Insanity and how do yours compare? Although it is a hell of a workout, this seems like alot!

Replies

• kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    During Plyo I burned about 450 cals. I am 5'4 and weigh about 145. The more fit I become, the less I burn which I believe is unfair :). During Pure Cardio I also burned about 450. I get a better burn from Turbo Fire but am determined to finish what I started. Even if just to say I did it.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    I burn between 400-460 on the max workouts in 55 minutes. I feel like it should be a lot higher!!
  • Phoenix212
    Phoenix212 Posts: 54 Member
    On the hardest workouts that are around an hour I'm lucky to burn 400. For example, yesterday when I did pure cardio + cardio abs I worked really hard and burned about 395. I'm 5'7 and 137 though. Just remember that everyone's different. It makes sense that you'd burn more if this is your first time trying something this intense.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    It really depends on how much you weigh on your calorie burns. I have done the Insanity program twice. When I did it the first time, I had huge calorie burns because I was bigger. Month one was anywhere from 500-700. Month two, 800-1000. The second round when I was more fit and closer to my weight loss goal, month one was 400-500, Month two 600-800. With Insanity, I didn't lose much weight, but inches melted off and I became more toned and stronger. Take measurements if you haven't already. Good luck!!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Surely it's good that you got a nice surprise by how much you were burning...I bet you'd been under-estimating? :smile:

Also, isn't one of the selling points of Insanity "Burn 1000 calories an hour" ...so your burn isn't too far out from that?

I'm at work (and have spent far too much time on here today already) so can't be digging through my workouts so far right now to post actual burns - but I burn between upper 500's and low 700's for each workout (but like you, I'm only just over a week in - so haven't done the "max" ones yet....that'll be interesting!!) I also use a HRM...
  • I'm 5'5' and 136 and in pretty good shape and active, this is my second week of Insanity. I will see what the next few days bring as far as calorie burn!
  • Surely it's good that you got a nice suprise by how much you were burning...I bet you'd been under-estimating? :smile:

Also, isn't one of the selling points of Insanity "Burn 100 calories an hour" ...so your burn isn't too far out from that?

I'm at work (and have spent far too much time on here today already) so can't be digging through my workouts so far right now to post actual burns - but I burn between upper 500's and low 700's for each workout (but like you, I'm only just over a week in - so haven't done the "max" ones yet....that'll be interesting!!) I also use a HRM...

Yeah big surprise! I'll go with it. I did take measurements, I've been trying NOT to measure and weigh myself (maybe i'll have another big surprise!) I'm a little intimidated by the MAX workouts but am determined to go the full 60 days!
  • Rebecca....so happy to see you doing Insanity......
  • WELL figured it out... setting up my HRM I put that I weigh 137 KG instead of LBS. Hahaha that explains alot!:blushing:
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    I just got an HRM so I could keep track of calories burned while I do Insanity (and other things too). Today is my first day using it, I did Plyo Cardio Circuit and it says I burned over 800 calories. Does anyone keep track of their calories with Insanity and how do yours compare? Although it is a hell of a workout, this seems like alot!

Depending on which workout I do determines how many calories I burn. With insanity the most I've burn is 600. I think that was just because I'm starting out. As long as we're burning something:)
  • WELL figured it out... setting up my HRM I put that I weigh 137 KG instead of LBS. Hahaha that explains alot!:blushing:
    That means I weighed about 300 pounds. Dang, wish calories would melt off like that haha
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    The more fit I become, the less I burn which I believe is unfair :).

Agreed!! Unfair how the burn gets lower as I get fitter. But I just tell myself I just need to push more. I'm on the doorstep to month 2, so I'm anticipating the Max workouts...

I average about 500-600 calories per 45 minutes
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    With the month one workouts I burn around 300-350 and with the month two it can be from 325 to 425 I believe (I am doing P90X 2 so I can't remember).
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Hello! My HRM says I burn a ton with Insanity and TurboFire. I have asked this ? Before and they say that you can burn up to 1,000 calories during some of these workouts??? What type of HRM do you own?
  • It is a GSI. after I corrected my weight on it I am burning about 375-450 (month 1) depending on the workout. Then I continue to burn faster for a while afterwords so I usually count that too until I take off my HRM. I think it's fairly accurate..
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Just bought a HRM and tried it while doing insanity. Ive used it 3 times and my average cal burning has been 850.

:D
  • megbreton20
    megbreton20 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm going to start the Insanity workout this week and want to get a HRM for calorie count as well, but I'm not sure what is the best kind/brand to get. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
  • Lis_MG
    Lis_MG Posts: 4
    I always find that my calorie burn is fairly low. In the INSANITY pure cardio workout I only burned 310 calories and was a little dissapointed :(. I'm 5 ft 2 and weigh 121 pounds.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    I have a Bodymedia Fit armband, and it says I have not yet broken through 350 cals doing Insanity.
    Ive heard the second month Insanity videos burn more, but I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt a lot more than 350, or 300.
  • 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    The reason you burn less calories when you get more fit is because you have less to lose! That's a good thing!!! Your metabolism is speeding up and your body is learning to burn them w/out as much exercise.

I have the Polar FT4 HRM and I LOOOOOOOVE it! it's very easy to use!