Any one doing half marathon

Options
Is anyone planning or already training for a half marathon this year.

This year my goal is to run a half marathon and ive just started training this will be my first half marathon and it would be nice to add some fellow mfps that are also planning on running this year.

Also can anyone recommend any good apps for training the half marathon I've tried mii coach but this lacks flexibility if I need to swap my days and also tried run coach pro which was a bit hit and miss with the gps and doesn't provide u with updates on your run as you go along like mii coach.

Clare x

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second. Tentatively looking at the disneyland half on Labor Day but I work full-time and am going for my master's so I don't want to commit to a race until I get at least half way through my training....to make sure I have time to do it right.

I am doing the Hal Higdron (sp) novice 2 training plan. I use runkeeper (accurate until I go off on trails) to keep track of pace and mileage. The plan goes on my fridge so I know what I need to do everyday.
  • dbsav
    dbsav Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon in May that I do every year. I'm running 4-6 miles right now but need to begin upping the diatance. I've been playing with LYRFREE, which I like becase it gives you an update every 1/4, 1/2, or one mile. The problem I have with most GPS apps is that I don't find the speed to be that accurate at all. Good luck! ~Dave
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've got three scheduled so far this year, the first one is March 18th. My top runs right now are about 9 miles, time to start inching that distance up. :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper isn't the most accurate - that's for sure.

I have a few halfs scheduled. First one at the end of February. I use a Garmin 205 though and have for years. Garmin forerunners are the best on the market.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have my first Half on 18th March, and bricking it lol I only started running 5 months ago with C25K and now I'm at 8.5 miles on my long runs. I reckon I should be at 13 by end of Feb to start and taper down for the race. Looking farward to it, and hopefully 2 others after that this year too! :)

I use Endomondo on my phone. Its pretty accurate and I'm able to analyse my performance of my runs. Its done me well for last 5 months anyway
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Got one in Feb, Mar or April and May. I neevr really took a break from the half I ran in Oct. Last 2 weekends, my long runs were 13.0 and 13.5. I really need to stop at ten Sat. Stay healthy and have fun.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    why do you need to stop at 10? Are you having issues?

10 is fine for your first one. After that, running past 13.1 has great benefit. When I train for a half, I'll routinely run 13+ long runs.

Got one in Feb, Mar or April and May. I neevr really took a break from the half I ran in Oct. Last 2 weekends, my long runs were 13.0 and 13.5. I really need to stop at ten Sat. Stay healthy and have fun.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ha! Don't need to run equilavent of a half 3 weekends in a row and 5 out of 6 weekends.
    I agree with you on ten being ok for the first one. I never went over 12.5 or 13 in preparing for my first one. I wanted my first time to run 13.1 to occur at the race.
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am planning to run my first half in the fall. I just started running around Thanksgiving. I am currently running 5.5 miles once a week, and 3 or 4 miles at lunch at work another 3 days. I'm going to start bumping up a long run on the weekends soon if the weather cooperates.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I'm running a half on Jan 29th and then a full Feb 19th.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have 3 scheduled in, plus 2 (at least) 10k's, lots of 5k's and I may just die! :noway:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for my first half marathon in October. I am currently using Hal Higdon's plan for a 10 Km and then I'll switch to the half program. I don't have a smart phone so I can't help you with any apps, sorry. You can change any program you find to fit your own schedule. I don't follow Hal's as he has it laid out but I make sure I still get the same number of workouts and same weekly mileage. Good luck!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do one in July :)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am running in a half on April 15th, in NY and then another one at end of august in Wildwood....

I run on average about 25 miles a week....I use a training schedule from runnerworld....
  • spacey1968
    Options
    bump....am planning one for end of April. This would be my first race ever. Using the Hal Hidgomesomething plan. Right now can run 5-6 miles at one time. If you wanna add me to support each other, feel free! :flowerforyou:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half end of may. I've just downloaded a schedule (google'd half marathon training) and found one that works with my timing and adjust it if I need to. I use a garmin for pace/distance. I used to use apps on my iPhone but have found the garmin much better.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I am "running" a half on April 28. Someone on this site recommended Hal Higdon's training program so that is what I am following. I hope it works because the farthest I ever ran non-stop was 4 miles last week - and then couldn't walk for two days my legs hurt!! ha!! I just want to finish my first one...don't care if I have to crawl over that finish line!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first May 6th in Vancouver BC, and run 3 days during the week and a long run sunday or saturday, depending what day works best for it. I run between 3-6 miles each run during the week, and am just starting to work past 7 mile run on the weekend. SLow but steady but that will give me plenty of time to be ready for the Half! I am following Hal Higdons Novice/novice2 program and use mapmyrun on my blackberry when i run...
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have my 3rd half-marathon on April 29th ~ using Hal Higdon training plan...love it! The first race i ever competed in was on January 7, 2011 at Disney (5K) during their marathon weekend. I then went on to run numerous 5K's, a Turkey Trot, and 2 half-marathons. It is so addicting!!! It is amazing to see how far i have come in a year!
  • dianichole73
    dianichole73 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/2 marathon on October 21, 2012. I'm only run/walk 2 days a week and I will pick up the pace in April when the weather breaks.