Going Over Your "Other" Nutritional Stats (Sugar, Protein, e

Options
How detrimental is it to go over your other nutritional limits i.e. fat, sugar, sodium, protein, etc? Have you noticed a significant difference in your weight loss when this occurred or was it 'good enough' as long as you stayed within your calorie limit?

Replies

• pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Well, I changed my macros up a bit because the carb to protein ratio MFP had was off for me. I do about 1g of protein per pound of body weight, I have them set at 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein and at these settings I rarely go over on any. If I do go over on protein I am not concerned and it hasn't been detrimental, I try to stay under on carbs because they make me bloat a bit but every one is different. Sugar I tend to not even track due to how many fruits and veggies I eat I go over on it daily, but once again I am not concerned because they are natural. Sodium really is teh killer though. I try to stay way under on it and if I do go over it is almost certain I retain water and weigh more on the scale the next day, as long as I get my butt in gear the next day it goes away, but it still irritates me every time o see the "gain".

So, in short, I suggest you just worry about sodium and not going over it. And maybe playing with your macro settings to hit high protein.

Good luck!
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's good to go over the fat or sugar limits.

That said, I am looking at calcium, protein and iron because I want to focus on general health, and I think that's a good way to make sure I am not eating too much junk food and that my body has enough fuel for my workouts.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find that if I get at least 60 grams of protein in, and am under my calories- I don't care if I'm 5 grams over my fat/sugar/carb intake. Sodium on the other hand, that is an issue
    My weight loss went equally as well as when I made sure I hit my macros so it is just personal preference, I think.
  • ljholmann
    Options
    I'm not sure, I usually try to watch the calories & fat, but I have often worried if I need to pay closer attention to the other things such as carbs/sugars, etc...
  • Natre
    Natre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's a good question and I"ve wondered the same thing but don't have an answer for you.

My doctor has not told me to monitor any of these things for diabetes or high blood pressure reasons, but it does make me cognizant of how much sugar and sodium i'm putting in my body. Sometimes, after breakfast, I have gone way over my sugar! If my sodium is high, I TRY to drink extra water to balance out. There are the guidelines that suggest the levels so you can monitor it and know what you're putting in your body.

14792901.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under calories, but exceed fat (at least 56 grams), protein (118 grams) and fiber (25 grams)...I don't care about sugar or carbs.

BTW...dietary fats don't make you fat...you shouldn't worry about exceeding them. They are good for you.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but...

"The AHA, while otherwise supporting the 2010 USDA dietary guidelines, published its own recommendations for sodium and saturated fat in early 2011. In essence, it recommends that everyone--adults as well as children--limit their daily sodium intake to less than 1,500 mg daily, not just those who are over 51 years of age or suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure."

I've adjusted my sodium setting on here, but what MFP recommends doesn't reflect that.

Also, I've adjusted my carb setting as well...to lose about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds to week, your daily carb intake should only be between 100 and 150 carbs...
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I tend to go over in my sugar and occasionally on my sodium. I know how much sodium intake affects me, personally. But I also consume about a gallon of water per day and hope that it helps to balance out the days when I've exceeded my sodium a bit.
  • hollyinPR
    hollyinPR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this too, because I tend to go over on my sugar daily. However what causes me to go over on my sugars is purely fruits and veggies. I'm doing a juicing program for breakfast and sometimes lunch, and each juice is made up of a mix of fruits and veggies. Some fruits and veggies have pretty high sugar content...but so far I've decided not to be concerned with it b/c my sugar intake is coming from natural raw sources rather than having it come from sugary cereals, sweets, etc. But I'd be interested in any other feedback that might come in on this topic...
  • momofgilliam
    Options
    For me, it is not JUST about losing weight, it is about health. As a matter of fact, I think that I have been more vigilant about sugar, carbs and sodium than I have about calories. You can easily burn calories - but you cannot force your body to process the "working parts" of calories differently than is natural.

I look for "quality calories" - low sugar, low sodium calories. The rest works itself out. I have found that I am more mindful of a low protein or high card day - and I look to make some adjustments.

I think of it this way - sure I can eat McDonald's every day and stay in my caloric goal - is that OK??

Good luck to you... but in my opinion if you eat the right things most of the time (we're not perfect every day...) - you feel better. And as an added bonus you lose weight!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't going to hurt you to go over. I try to cram 260+ grams of protein down me daily. Especially if you are lifting. On days I can't meet my protein goal (Mainly from fasted lifting) I'll chug down around 5g of BCAA's.

Fats and Carbs if you go over a bit it's not going to hurt. Carbs are processed into fat and stored easier on a glycemic diet, so I try to keep them to around 25%. My Macros are set 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% fats.

Remember that you don't want to go way over the limits on things but you still need to get them. Carbs and Fats are needed for brain function and other body functions don't go out of your way to completely neglect them. (Carbs you'll neglect if you go on Keto but that is a whole different topic there. It would also counter momofgilliams claim of you cant force your body to process calories differently than is natural as Keto diets do just that.)

Sodium if you go over you need to be drinking extra water to flush that extra sodium out. It may make you carry a bit of water weight as well.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I also don't worry about the sugar because the recommendation is regarding "Added sugar" so fruits and veggies for the most part shouldn't be included unless you consume them in an amount detrimental to getting your protein and fat. If my fat is low I tend to grab an Avocado. Lol, for years fat people were told to avoid avocados and now they are one of my best sources of fat. So on the sugar and sodium, yeah they do make a difference, processed sugars (like HFC's and added sugar, like when the ingredient list includes a sugar added) not so good. A fresh orange, apple, tomato, that's a different story and since MFP can't separate the sugars I don't really even think about that one in an amount, only what type. Sodium, I have to keep below 1500, higher and I can see the water on the scale, darn.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I also don't worry about the sugar because the recommendation is regarding "Added sugar" so fruits and veggies for the most part shouldn't be included unless you consume them in an amount detrimental to getting your protein and fat. If my fat is low I tend to grab an Avocado. Lol, for years fat people were told to avoid avocados and now they are one of my best sources of fat. So on the sugar and sodium, yeah they do make a difference, processed sugars (like HFC's and added sugar, like when the ingredient list includes a sugar added) not so good. A fresh orange, apple, tomato, that's a different story and since MFP can't separate the sugars I don't really even think about that one in an amount, only what type. Sodium, I have to keep below 1500, higher and I can see the water on the scale, darn.

Another GREAT source for fats is nuts like Almonds.