Muscles Weight More Than Fat ???

Options

Replies

• Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Muscles don't weigh more than fat, strictly speaking. A pound of feathers equals a pound of gold, equals a pound of hot dog relish, equals a pound of kittens... How much space a substance occupies is called "volume." Muscle tissue is more dense than adipose tissue (fat), so volumetrically speaking, muscle tissue occupies less space. Volume and weight are two different ways of measuring matter. Now, if you're talking about the same *volume* of two different substances, for example a bathtub full of bowling balls versus a bathtub full of packing peanuts, they have the both volume (they both occupy the space provided by a bathtub) but the bowling balls will be heavier, or have greater weight.

Let's say you lose five pounds of adipose tissue, but gain five pounds of muscle. The scale says you haven't changed your weight. However, your body now takes up slightly less space (your skinny jeans fit better) than before, because the muscle is more dense.

Did that help? I hope so. It seems to confuse a ton of people, and I hear this all the time.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    rocks weigh more than sponges...
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So for us retarded people if you had a box that was 12x12x12 and you filled one box up with fat and you filled up the other box with muscle the muscle is going to weigh more.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Visualize a sock with one pound of fat in it. Now visualize a sock with a pound of muscle in it. Does it look different? Yes. Does it feel different? Yes. Does it weigh the same? Yes.

Wouldn't the fat kinda ooze right through the sock and get all over the carpet?
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    muscle takes up less space than fat...not all gushy all over the place like fat. they both weigh the same...a pound of fat = a pound of muscle...it's about volume. some people just will never get it. that's why the scale is not the best indicator of true weight loss...want to lose that fat...keep the muscle. :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So for us retarded people if you had a box that was 12x12x12 and you filled one box up with fat and you filled up the other box with muscle the muscle is going to weigh more.

Yes, but if you filled the box up with fat, and weighed it, then put the same weight of muscle in it, it would not fill the box.

So a body covered with muscle and a body covered with fat could weigh the same, but will look very very different.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    PERFECT!

Muscle weighs more than fat BY VOLUME!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat takes up more volume than a pound of muscle.

Erego muscle is denser than fat. Meaning 20 lbs of muscle takes up X space on a body, and 20 lbs of fat takes up X * 5 space on a body.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, BY VOLUME, muscle will weigh more than fat ... but a pound of anything is the same IN WEIGHT as a pound of any thing else.

Ten pounds of fat weighs the exact same as ten pounds of muscle. A POUND is A POUND.

BY VOLUME a pound of fat will be larger than a pound of muscle (regardless of the vessel) .. but the statement "Muscle weighs more than fat" is misleading and confusing.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If people want to start being picky on the terminology this much, then we could start to talk about how "weight" is a very loosely defined concept and what we should really be talking about is mass and density.

Weight is just a calculation based on mass and gravity.

And Suddenly, you became very sexy to me :love:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually think that a pound of anything weighs more than a pound of anything else? I mean, really. It's a POUND.
    Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

You have not discovered anything new but an old, absurd argument from the unlearned.
    Muscle is more dense, so BY VOLUME it weighs more.

Fat takes up more VOLUME, because it is less dense.

A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.

Get it now?

Volume and weight are two different measurement, though. This could really confuse people more than help, if you ask me... Yes, BY VOLUME, muscle will weigh more than fat ... but a pound of anything is the same IN WEIGHT as a pound of any thing else.

Ten pounds of fat weighs the exact same as ten pounds of muscle. A POUND is A POUND.

BY VOLUME a pound of fat will be larger than a pound of muscle (regardless of the vessel) .. but the statement "Muscle weighs more than fat" is misleading and confusing.

I don't see why it is confusing - if someone says Feathers are lighter than steel, you'd know what they meant, so why don't people get it with muscle and fat?

As far as I can see, nobody has said a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat.

If it wasn't confusing to people, we wouldn't constantly have threads about it.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually think that a pound of anything weighs more than a pound of anything else? I mean, really. It's a POUND.
    Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

You have not discovered anything new but an old, absurd argument from the unlearned.
    Muscle is more dense, so BY VOLUME it weighs more.

Fat takes up more VOLUME, because it is less dense.

A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.

Get it now?

Volume and weight are two different measurement, though. This could really confuse people more than help, if you ask me... Yes, BY VOLUME, muscle will weigh more than fat ... but a pound of anything is the same IN WEIGHT as a pound of any thing else.

Finally. Someone speaks truth.

Pounds are units of measurement for WEIGHT. Volume is a different concept entirely. The OP's question was answered.

I hear a pound of fact weighs less than a pound of blather.
  • Sarahnats
    Sarahnats Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ok...i googled it and OMG ive lost 2 of those 5lb lumps of fat, whilst im so pleased with the loss,im also a wee bit grossed out by it too :)
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The pound for pound thing is correct.

I think what that statement means is that if you get a square inch of muscle and a square inch of fat, the muscle will weigh more because of its denser nature. adipose tissue is loose, while muscle is packed.

Hello and thanks. Just get more of that muscle and reduce some of that fat and things will be okay. LOL
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey everybody,

I have to weigh in here (yes, I said that.)

THOUSANDS of people join MyFitnessPal every day. Many of them are new to the common questions that surround the challenges of weight loss. Part of what we hope makes MyFitnessPal an appealing place to visit is the interaction that happens when members ask sincere questions, and other members take the time and effort to help and support folks in their efforts to better educate themselves.

Because we value these interactions, we have some guidelines in place to help protect them:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

and
    2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting[/]. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

You will note that these are our FIRST TWO guidelines. Clearly, we think they're important.

Consequently, there are three possible ways to respond to an OP like this. And only two of them are acceptable under the guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ).

You may choose one of the two acceptable methods (which I will clearly outline below) or you may choose the one unacceptable method and begin accumulating moderator warnings and eventually strikes.

ACCEPTABLE:

1 - Post a thoughtful and polite answer in a sincere attempt to answer the question posed. Many in this thread have taken the time and effort to do this, and it's appreciated.

2 - Post NOTHING. Clearly, thousands of users have opted for THIS approach. No harm, no foul. If this sort of post irritates, you cut the irritation short by MOVING ON.

UNACCEPTABLE

1 - Post to the effect that you're tired of this topic, that the OP must be an idiot for not using Google, or answer the question but lace your response with sarcasm and condescension. ALL of these tactics are strictly contrary to the posting guidelines, and users who post repeatedly in this vein will find their posting privileges suspended. Period.

Thanks for doing what you can (or, in some cases, wisely doing NOTHING) to keep MyFitnessPal a place where support and encouragement are the norm, not antagonism, snark, and condescension.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to add one little comment to this.

The question of muscle weighing more than fat usually comes in because people trying to lose weight are afraid of gaining heavy muscle and being derailed by the results on the scale.

I have to say that the effort required to build 1 pound of muscle will burn far more than 1 pound of fat.

Not only that, but the more muscles the body has, the higher the metabolism. Effectively the body burns more fat the stronger it gets.

Get fit and feel good. In the end that is all we are really talking about.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Clearly, when people use the statement "Muscle Weighs More than Fat", they are referring to the fact that if someone

1. Loses body fat
    2. Builds builds
    3. Stays the same size

They would have increased their weight.

While it is a statement that is open to misinterpretation, nobody on here to my knowledge has ever used the statement "Muscle Weighs More than Fat" in the context of hacking off part of their body and weighing it in pounds to use as a comparison, so please can we lose the 1lb = 1lb analogy because it's irrelevant and confusing to those who don't understand the apparently too complex idea of density and mass.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    In fact, before posting that a topic has been raised 1000 times, respondents should take a breath and close the window.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
    I'm not arguing with that - but seriously, if the same questions are being asked again and again and again, it clearly demonstrates that this site needs an official FAQ to assist new members.
    Agreed. There are many questions that can have conflicting opinions, but many (like this one) could be included in a helpful FAQ with brief yet concise explanations. I imagine that some members could even help to identify some good topics and resources for substantiating accurate responses. The FAQs could be stickified in each forum.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    In fact, before posting that a topic has been raised 1000 times, respondents should take a breath and close the window.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
    I'm not arguing with that - but seriously, if the same questions are being asked again and again and again, it clearly demonstrates that this site needs an official FAQ to assist new members.
    Some of them are answered here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help But I only happened to stumble upon that a few days ago.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Another that springs to mind is "What does NSV stand for?"

(Answer for any new members reading this, it means Non Scale Victory, in other words a success that is not directly related to your weight as measured on scales.)
This discussion has been closed.