Beginner Runner

Options
So, I've been a swimmer my whole life. I love swimming, can't live with out it and I've always hated running.

But lately I've been craving just putting on my shoes and going for a run. I have pretty serious athsma so the sensible part of me is screaming "no no no!"

But.. How do I get started? I've always been a walker, I can do miles on end, but running, How does one learn to be a runner?

Replies

• whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    ooo you totally sound like me lol
    1.well if your top heavy start with a good sports bra./ and an underwire tank for extra support without i get short breathe real quick also baby powder in between to wick away sweat
    2. make sure you have inhaler tucked away just in case
    3. have water handy
    4. make sure you stretch very well
    5. start small . dont shoot for a super long run and what i do is i walk fast, then jobn , then run ...
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    What whtlatina1214 said! And get yourself fitted for a good pair of running shoes and be sure to check out C25K. It's a great way to get into running and the progressive training will give you a chance to evaluate how it affects your asthma. Have fun with it!!!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. It's free online ( http://www.c25k.com ), and it's just a running plan that is designed to get a person from being an absolute couch potato up to running for 30 minutes straight over the course of nine weeks. I'm fairly healthy, but lacked endurance; I'm on the third week of the program and I'm already noticing improvements in my technique and my fitness level!

The website offers a schedule for both running outside and for running on a treadmill, and it really is an excellent resource.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    The great thing about running is there just isn't much to it. Like the pp's said, you just need a good pair of shoes and a good running bra and you're set. Start slow - a lot of people start by some running and some walking - like run 1 min/walk 1 min. Then when your body is ready, move up the running portion a little bit at a time. A big mistake is trying to do too much, too soon, which can lead to injury and burnout.

Another good place to look besides C25k is the Runners World webiste - they have lots of great stuff and really good forums, too - the beginners one would be a good place for info and support.

As for your asthma, I have a minor case myself and I've just had to learn from my body when it's feeling good and when I need to walk a little more. But there's no reason asthma should hold you back - lots and lots of people run with asthma and all kinds of other chronic conditions. As long as your doc gives you the okay, there's no reason you can't enjoy running!

Good luck!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    So, I've been a swimmer my whole life. I love swimming, can't live with out it and I've always hated running.

But lately I've been craving just putting on my shoes and going for a run. I have pretty serious athsma so the sensible part of me is screaming "no no no!"

But.. How do I get started? I've always been a walker, I can do miles on end, but running, How does one learn to be a runner?
    Definitely talk to your doc about it, they can give you advice on what to do to control your asthma while trying to run. I used the C25K program to work up to running for long periods of time straight, although I still have a lot of trouble running outside because it messes with my asthma a lot more than running on a treadmill does. I'm determined to eventually get outside, but I'm taking this winter to up my speed a lot to give me a head start on endurance when I go outside this summer....unfortunatly have to wait until it's at least mid 60s out or my lungs SCREAM at me. :grumble:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Nice Topic - I just printed out the Couch to 5k program, and when I say just printed it out I mean just about 30 seconds ago, lol

I have been trying to do different things as running for one or two songs then walking but I am sure I am doing it wrong just doesn't feel natural.

Good luck... you can befriend me and perhaps we can do this running journey together.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Body glide - very important

no one likes chafing. Remember that bra line. Youch
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks for that.

And thank you everyone on this thread. I think I'm going to give C25K a try before I buy shoes. If I don't hate my life as a runner when it's over then I think it will be time to invest in somethign better than my every day sneaks.