Cabbage soup diet?

Options
Has anyone tried this and had results? I absolutely love cabbage soup so I think t would be a great jumps start to help me lose weight since I heard you can only do it a week at a time with a two week break in between! I would live off cabbage soup if I could!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a normal, lower calorie diet instead? Has the same results, although slower. It would be more sustainable.
  • Janflrn
    Options
    You lose weight by cabbage soup being so low in calories and fill up quickly as it has alot of fiber. Weight watchers has a great tasting cabbage soup recipe. :). I would tire of it after a few days though. There are lots of other low ca/high fiber soups that are also filling for example: taco soup, to add variety.
  • randompatch
    randompatch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is that all you eat? Yikes! That doesn't sound very well-balanced to me. I love cabbage too, but I can't say I would ever do that to myself.

May I ask why you want to lose weight fast? I'm a believer In "slow and steady wins the race".
  • Melissa12012
    Options
    Hi there :)

I just had some for lunch - yum and I'm so FULL! I signed up here and just started watching what I eat. I've added in a touch of exercise. Thought about doing a couple of particular diets, but found just by recording my food intake (never done this before - huge eye-opener), I don't need to follow a particular diet.

I'm having a good breakfast, cabbage soup at lunch, and trying for a sensible dinner and it's working well. Maybe just substitute the soup for a meal and see how that goes for you. Best of luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    This is not opinion this is fact ...Fad diets are a bad idea and are dangerous especially ones that limit you to only a certain food. Cabbage soup, grapfruit, etc...

Eat a balanced diet and exercise
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet is bogus just like the grapefruit diet - however I too love cabbage soup and it's very filling. I do lose more weight when I have it for lunch... it's just so filling that I skip my afternoon snaking. I just have to make sure that I get enough protein at my other meals.
  • kylashealy
    Options
    This is not opinion this is fact ...Fad diets are a bad idea and are dangerous especially ones that limit you to only a certain food. Cabbage soup, grapfruit, etc...

Eat a balanced diet and exercise

agreed.
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could never do that diet. Cabbage makes me have gas. Bad. My boyfriend would dump me. :happy: :tongue:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you like cabbage soup, go ahead and eat it. Don't kid yourself in thinking it's a viable "diet" though.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Are you going to eat cabbage soup for the rest of your life?

The only diet that works is a well rounded one that you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a normal, lower calorie diet instead? Has the same results, although slower. It would be more sustainable.

Agreed. By "jump starting" with cabbage soup you are just setting yourself up for failure. Learn how to eat healthy, reasonably sized portions. There is no magic, that's how you lose weight.
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have this diet listed in my dietpoint ap. after looking it over, i wouldn't chose it because the calorie count is way too low for healthy results. If i was to choose it i'd do it for 2-3 days max. but after that i'd choose something thats more sustainable. I really agree that as a fad diet you should probably stay away from it for longterm success. hope this helps.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    We tried this a few years ago. Tasted like crap the first day, and only went downhill each time I tried to gag it down. There's nothing magical about the soup. There are plenty of tasty nutritious foods out there that you can eat and still lose weight.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I really like cabbage soup too ... but I would never try to kid myself in to believing I loved it so much I could eat it every day. Bless your heart for trying to rationalize this fad diet.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recommend the soup, but NOT the diet. The soup itself is really tasty, like the Weight Watchers one. SO good.

Any weight loss "achieved" on the Cabbage Soup Diet will be regained...and you don't want that.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I really like cabbage soup too ... but I would never try to kid myself in to believing I loved it so much I could eat it every day. Bless your heart for trying to rationalize this fad diet.
    I like a good cabbage soup, but the recipe we had for this "diet" tasted like ****.
  • Countryygirl
    Options
    You don't only eat cabbage soup you add other things into the mix for the day.
    7 Day Plan
     6881Email4175ShareThis11.7K 

Periodically, I will be sending promotional items related to health and wellness issues. You have the option of unsubscribing from my emails at any time.
    I Hate Spam as Much as You Do!

Remember: This diet should only be followed for 7 days at a time, with at least two weeks in between.

Day One:

Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and water.

Day Two:

Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.

Day Three:

Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.

Day Four:

Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.

Day Five:

Beef And Tomatoes: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomatoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for beef on one of the beef days (but not both).

Day Six:

Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart’s content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.

Day Seven:

Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.
  • Countryygirl
    Options
    I feel like I could never do that diet. Cabbage makes me have gas. Bad. My boyfriend would dump me. :happy: :tongue:
    [/quote

Haha I like to make my boyfriend suffer :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    You don't only eat cabbage soup you add other things into the mix for the day.
    I'll spare everyone by not quoting the whole plan... :wink:

If you can hit your caloric and macro minimums each day, not go hungry, and dig what you're eating, then more power to you. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    1. You will be ravenous for that week.

2. People will avoid you for the smell.