Carbs and Exercising

Options
Hey all,
I've tried searching for a topic close to this, but I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Okay, am I losing it, or is my carb count lowering (in my food diary), once I log in a workout? :noway:

I could swear that my carb count will be higher after work, but then after I log in my exercise that evening, the count has been decreased by MFP? Is this right or am I just totally hallucinating? :laugh:

Does this happen to anyone else?
I'd like to know either way, so I can adjust accordingly. It can be difficult to keep the carbs down in one day, so if I'm burning those off and they are being eliminated from the overall daily count, that would be good to know.

Thanks for any help! :wink:

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Are you sure? When I exercise and 'earn' more calories - the carbs I'm allowed is higher. As the total calories goes up, so does the overall allowance for each of your macros.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When MFP adds your exercise, your carb, fat, and protein targets go up in proportion to what you have set in your goals. Many people ignore the MFP numbers, which are based on percentages and instead target grams. A very typical setup is in the ballpark of 1g protein and 0.35-0.5g fat per lb of body weight, and the rest in carbs.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    try logging a working out on a day in the future and write down what you have before and after. That is the only way to know for sure.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Are you sure? When I exercise and 'earn' more calories - the carbs I'm allowed is higher. As the total calories goes up, so does the overall allowance for each of your macros.

Right, I worded that wrong. Not only have I "earned" more calories, but I've earned more carbs also. It's like I didn't have all of the ones I had that day. Boy, maybe all this being healthy is messing with me head! HA! :laugh:

Thanks for your help!! :happy:
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You can't eat "calories". Calories are a measure of energy. You get calories from eating Carbs, Fat and Protein. When you exercise, your total calories go up, but that must be accommodated by also raising your Carbs, Fat and Protein proportionally to your settings. That's where the Calories come from.