Weight Loss Q!

Options
Hi, i'm male 24, from the UK. Currently i'm 14st 13lb which puts me in the obese catorgorie?

I have just been using MFP for 1 day now, counting the calories on everything i eat.

My calculated goal is 1580 calories a day i should intake. I want to weigh 12st. Now i'm actually counting the calories instead of just eating whatever i like and not checking.... to achieve my goal it seems like i have to eat more than i have been doing already!

I thought i used to eat alot, but actually counting calories now it shows that i must not have been having alot.

Basically, to put it clear, i seems i'm having to eat MORE now i'm using MFP, than i was having before i didn't use it, just to hit my target 1580 calories a day.

Hope this makes sense, and why is this?!!?!!?!!?!!

Thanks in advance.

My worry is that obviously now i'm eating more than before just to hit my goal, i'm afraid i'm gonna put MORE weight on by using this MFP App.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    your body needs food to function. if you dont eat enough, things slow down and you can actually gain weight in the long term.
    are you eating the same kinds of food as before? or healthier? i know before i started here i felt like i ate all the time (and sometimes i had really high calorie days) but i was just eating junk and so when i switched to eating healthier, it seemed like i was eating so much more food because the healthy stuff doesnt have as many calories.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You wont gain weight eating 1580 calories a day. I eat around 1600-1700 a day and I'm female, 110lb and 5'3" so you should be okay! : )

Maybe you were eating less, but higher cals?

The best thing is to continue for a week, weigh in, take it from there! MFP really does work as a weight loss method.

Best of luck with your journey.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Maybe "before" you were eating less in terms of quantity, but more in terms of calories. For example, if before you ate 1 order of fries, and now you eat an apple instead, it's going to take MORE apples to get the same amount of calories as an order of fries. Probably you were eating less food but more total calories....make sense?
  • mckenzieuk
    Options
    I think the stuff i'm eating is healthier, lots of fish, muesli, salad, etc. It's got me stumped, i know what your saying. I've cut the bacon sarnies out in the morning etc now and replaced with healthy stuff. Like a wholemeal salad sarnie! But, i did eat alot. I could eat a very large portion, possibly first to finish too! lol

but now, i've eaten what i need for today, which is infact,

Alpen Muesli no added sugar
    Heinz Scoth Broth Soup
    Apple
    Quorn Tikka Masala
    8 Chicken Dippers (in batter!! trying to fill the calories out!!)
    2 slices of toast with salmon paste (tastes lovely!)

and i've worked out for 1hr with vigourous exercise! poss 300 calories burnt.

and it tells me i still need to have another 580 calories to hit my goal!!!!!

does this sound right?

Thanks!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

and it tells me i still need to have another 580 calories to hit my goal!!!!!

does this sound right?

Thanks!!

Yep, it does. :)
  • mckenzieuk
    Options
    thankyou all!!!!!! add me as a friend if you need motivation lol
  • Heifort1
    Heifort1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here's one more comment on the eating MORE to LOSE weight. Think of your body's metabolism like a fire. If you don't put enough fuel on the fire and good wood, it doesn't stay lit or burn well. If you don't put good foods in your body and enough of them, your metabolism slows down - it might even shut off if you're not getting enough calories. It's the "starvation mode" you may hear about; your body stops burning the calories because it thinks it's starving. "I'd better hang on to those potato chips. It might be the only thing I get today," says Mr. Metabolism.

Speed up the fire! Burn up lots of good food in there!!