PCOS

Options
Hello all!

I'm new to this place so i thought i'd introduce myself and while here ask a question...

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and was told that it will be very difficult for me to lose weight and am more likely to gain weight very fast.

So I hired a trianer, have spent waaaay too much money with weight loss programs (Herbal Magic anyone?) and have actually gained 20 pounds (lost 8 inches) since starting with the trainer 3 times a week and following the strict Herbal Magic diet.

does anyone with PCOS have any suggestions on how to get my weight lower? I do not want to give up but am getting tired of the scale going the wrong direction when i'm doing all the "right" things...

I have to hand in a daily journal on what I eat to my trainer and my diet centre - i do not lie about anything i've eaten and I even divulge when i've had a piece of gum because i want this so badly.

suggestions?

Replies

• Collins35
    Options
    I have PCOS also. Losing weight is more difficult but not impossible. I see a nutritionist who gives me a diet plan. I eat 1200 cal a day. I am suppose to limit my sodium intake and fat due to the condition however I don't watch that as close as the calories. The only exercise I do is walking, I have Fibromyalgia and any extensive exercise is impossible for me as it hurts to bad. So, I use Leslie Sansone walk videos they go from 1 mile up to I think a 5 mile. I try to walk as least 2 miles a day most days I walk 4 not always at one time. I don't eat back all my exercise calories always like some say you can Because it is so much harder to lose with PCOS. I have lost 6lbs in about 9 days doing just this. My starting weight was 211, according to the Dr. I should be around 124 -132 I don't know if thats exactly right I cant imagine being that small. So, 1200 cal low fat diet and walking each day and I lose weight even having PCOS for 3 years Ive had it. Hope this info helps you. Good Luck on your weight lose journey!
  • mandiemma
    mandiemma Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Collins35!

I'm glad to meet someon who also has this condition. It's nice to know that it can be done and I know it will be hard, and i'm not afraid of hard work, but its the support that I will need the most!

Thanks new friend!
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Just wanted to say it's really great that you guys don't let any conditions hold you back - says a lot about your work ethic! A lot of people with no restrictions don't try hard, or would stop if they had to try really hard/had extra hurdles to jump over, and you guys go at it full force. Great job!!
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and it is definitely more difficult to lose the weight than it is to put it on. What has worked for me is keeping my carbs & sodium on the lower end...much lower than even MFP has my goal set at. I'm currently at 1200 calories a day, & I workout between 5 - 6 days a week. Everyone is different though, just have to find what works for you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm new to this place so i thought i'd introduce myself and while here ask a question...

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and was told that it will be very difficult for me to lose weight and am more likely to gain weight very fast.

So I hired a trianer, have spent waaaay too much money with weight loss programs (Herbal Magic anyone?) and have actually gained 20 pounds (lost 8 inches) since starting with the trainer 3 times a week and following the strict Herbal Magic diet.

does anyone with PCOS have any suggestions on how to get my weight lower? I do not want to give up but am getting tired of the scale going the wrong direction when i'm doing all the "right" things...

I have to hand in a daily journal on what I eat to my trainer and my diet centre - i do not lie about anything i've eaten and I even divulge when i've had a piece of gum because i want this so badly.

suggestions?

Yes - do yourself a favor and get with an Endocrinologist... You really should get a better picture of your individual PCOS issues through bloodwork done.

From there, the Endocrinologist can work with you.

The one I have has 'unlocked' something that no other doctor was ever able to find, nor think about.... I had gone for allergy testing and discovered food allergies and sensitivities.. ALL THESE YEARS I basically have been poisoning myself...;

That was six months ago.....

Three months ago - my blood work came back PRISTINE and GORGEOUS... I had three doctors call me up the minute they received my labs because they have never seen anyone's triglycerides go from 225 down to 112 in THREE MONTHS TIME!

Ive dropped 70 pounds in six months...

Im telling you - get with an Endocrinologist......

EDIT: Im PCOS, Insulin Resistance and I have a rare metabolic disorder Im battling right now.. and they are all under control with a few scripts and major dietary changes....
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If there is anything I can figure out other than eat less and move more, I'll keep you posted! All my doc ever says is "Lifestyle Change".
  • ck1rugger
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 so I have been living with it for years now. My weight has always fluctuated. The way you live with PCOS is the same diet people with diabetes have. Low carb is the way to go. Its pretty much staying away from all the good stuff in life. I just gave up sugar for a 5 week challenge and feel free to check in with me and I can let you know how that works! Any other questions feel free to ask!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/448281-can-you-get-fat-from-fruit-and-veg?page=2#posts-6184727

I just wrote a whole bunch on this ^^ there.
    I'll put the highlights in a quote below:
    PCOS is related to insulin resistance---which is related to carb intake. So, this is relevant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE <----I really like this explanation of things and highly recommend this 3 minute clip. If you like it, you can watch most of the movie on youtube for free.

This has to do with insulin resistance and the way the body stores fat. 'Carbs' are considered the bad guy in this video. Are you saying fruits and vegetables are carbs, and therefore not good for losing weight? I'm having trouble understanding why you think this video is so relevant to this subject?

Most people do not eat a strict diet of fruits and vegetables. --And there are even fat vegetarians. The reason that I posted this was because some people have a hard time understanding how a sugar from something as healthy and wholesome as a banana or rice or potatoes or whatever super carby source you choose could cause you to be fat. Monitoring calories alone isn't enough for most people to successfully lose weight or maintain weight loss. At some point, most people have to monitor their carbs as well. Something as minor as eating a very ripe large banana can cause a sugar spike which triggers a flood of insulin. Continuing that pattern (flooding system with sugar than insulin) over the entire day for months will lead to insulin resistance which puts you on the path to diabetes.

I eat a TON of green veggies and a moderate amount of fruit and starchy veggies. Fruit is more of a dessert item in my day to day life, because it's sugar. It's a better sugar for me than a candy bar with the same amount of calories...but it's still sugar. I think that increasing veggies is a great way to lose weight. I also think that it's irresponsible to say 'eat as much fruit as you want' to someone who doesn't know what that will do to their blood sugar and their body's reaction to blood sugar over time. Insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes don't happen overnight. They happen over time and with a lot of floods and crashes.

I think that the video is a great explanation of how sugar affects a body and how it turns into fat.

You might wonder at what I eat. I try to eat meat (fatty and lean...I eat meat), fish, eggs, nuts (watching almonds due to carbs), lots of green veggies, some starchy veg (like sweet potatoes), some fruit here and there, small amounts of unrefined coconut sugar OR honey, extra virgin coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil. I screw up on some days---because I'm human and this is life and potato chips love me...hahaa---but for the most part, I keep my carbs between 40g and 80g a day. This sugar/carb monitoring has successfully helped me lose weight AND corrected my PCOS that caused me no end of trouble for a decade or so of my life. I eat a lot of good healthy fats and a lot of protein. When I say that I eat a ton of green veggies, I mean that my salad might have 4 or 5 tightly packed cups of organic baby greens or spinach. I eat a lot of green beans and zucchini.

I think that switching from a lot of processed foods to a whole food way of being is the best first step, but in my personal pursuit of vibrant health---that wasn't enough. I had to start watching my carbs, too. Even though they all came from fruits and veggies---I simply had too much sugar in my diet. I continued to have PCOS problems and some lingering excess weight as long as I DID NOT monitor my carb intake. I didn't understand fully until I accepted that sugar is sugar is sugar.

If the ultimate goal is to lose weight, then eat whatever you want and stay under calorie goals for the day...you will meet your goal weight with persistence.

If your ultimate goal is to be HEALTHY, then you should know about what you are eating and what it does inside of your body. Not everyone is going to thrive on my ideal fat-protein-carb ratio (loosely: 50 to 55% fat, 30% protein, 15 to 20% carbs), but I have finally gotten to my healthiest happiest weight (107 this morning at 5 feet tall)---have energy like you wouldn't believe---have functional muscles (190 lb leg press and working my way up)---and am living with a health that I never imagined I would. Most of my health puzzle was eliminating food allergens, but some of my problems were also caused/made worse by carbs.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I have PCOS, IR, and hypothyroid. The last few months I have been doing a Primal diet because I love my yogurt and cheese.

Its totally possible to lose the weight..I have lost 40.

I am on meds...armour thyroid, metformin..which have helped with the weight loss
  • NicoleMoya
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS as well and I agree it is harder to loose weight. Last year I was working out and eating right and gained 5lbs...... I was really upsaet and got discouraged and quit. My huband told me that even though that is what the scale said he still noticed a chage in my body shape. I really wish he had told me that before I gave up. Now i have to start all over again and this time i am realizing I just dont care what the scale says anymore..... If I can get down on dress sizes and start feeling lighter then I am happy with that..... Besides you dont wear a scale in public but you do wear cloths and that tells it all. Plus I am hoping that loosing some weight will help reduce the PCOS and maybe just maybe I will be able to get pregnant..... Good luck to you, I hope that you meet all your goals.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, and it is very hard to lose weight.... but not impossible, ur best bet is to meet with a nurtionist and go from there. vitamin B, and D is what we lack of... so I was told. I will inbox u some literature
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, so I know where you are coming from. For me, adding regular activity really did the trick...30-90 minutes of walking 5-6 times a week...and I have lost 70 pounds in about a year. It hasn't been incredibly fast weight loss, but it has been consistent. I haven't changed my diet much, other than staying within my calorie limits.
  • Leanne169
    Options
    Hello,

I also have PCOS and was set on losing weight this time. I have had a steady weight loss for 10 weeks now (taking away the christmas period!) And I am basically eating a lower calorie healthier diet with the help of a slimming club and also exercising as much as I can throughout the week.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • shashmann
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HI!
    I have PCOS too.
    Because such a huge part of PCOS is being insulin resistant I'm trying very hard to eat in a very insulin aware way.
    So basically if it's recommended for somebody with diabetes.
    I also am on the 1200 net calories diet and am seeing results.
    I also try to be very aware of the hormones I put in my body, because our hormones are already kinda wacky without adding to the problem.
    I also try to eat foods that nourish the thyroid and pituitary glands.
    It's really hard, but you can do it.
    Just losing a relatively little amount will dramatically increase your ability to produce/utilize insulin and hormones naturally.
    I've also come across research that caffeine should be extremely limited and to beware plastics because some mimic hormones when in the blood stream.
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, IR and take Metformin XR

The best imput I have is (from doctor actually) 5-6 small meals a day. It's really hard to change your thinking about meals and do this but it helps us to keep our sugars from spiking. Eat every 3-4 hours to avoid getting hungry or letting your sugar get too low.

I lost 25 lbs last year with MFP, but once I stopped 'working at it' I gained 25 lbs right back. That's the sad part of this condition - so easy to gain and you have to work your butt off to lose.

I'm going to take the advice of a previous poster and get an endocrinologist.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am alot heavier and have PCOS and Insulin resistance. I see a health and wellness doctor and a nutritionist who got me on the right path.. Along with MFP'ers (reading other people food diarys) food ideas...

Here is my 2 cents :)

#1 Whey Protein in the morning helps keep you fuller longer. I drink a whey protein shake Body Fortress 2lb tub at walmart 15usd. Start out mixing it with skim milk and then after a week try it with water only. I like it better with water - free's up more calories. Or continue with milk if you like, added protein :)

#2 Keep bread to a minumum. no more than 150 calories for me a day - the less the better. You can find 100 calorie sandwich rounds and occasionally I will have treat of the mutligrain/something different.

#3 Any exercise is better than none, walk and build up to more if you like :)

#4 feel free to check out my diary. Note: Between Thanksgiving and last week were a blur, computer connection and holidays but prior than that I have a years worth of stuff :) BTW - we are also on the cheap so I've had to use white bread....amongst other not so great things but I made it work.

#5 Avoid salt...period.

Add/email me if you like.... You can do it!!!!

You are not doomed!! Feed your body good fuel and it will run like a precisioned vehicle....
  • Raspberrydelight
    Raspberrydelight Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos about 4 yrs ago and yes it is harder to lose weight than other people....I dropped 30 lbs before getting pregnant by doing a 45-1hr walk/hike 5 days a week in the morning, limiting the gluten in my diet and following a diebetic (ish) diet...there is a book called PCOS and the glucose revolution....go to the library and get it...it really helped me with my diet....after 4 yrs of trying for a baby we have a VERY busy baby boy and I am back on the wagon trying to lose my 25lbs of baby wieght...this si what worked for me...everyone is differenct so try a few things and figure out what works best for you!! good luck to everyone!
  • AliR105
    AliR105 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hey, i was disagnosed when i was 13 and ill be 21 this year. i find it hard to loose weight too and struggle with facial hair but i go to the gym and zumba and love it. i try to not let it hold me back to much :) xxxx
  • stacyann1001
    stacyann1001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS - while I lose weight I feel like I never lose it in my stomach, It's always large and bloated looking and am hoping to get rid of that this year.... It is a struggle to lose any weight though so don't worry, you are not alone! I eat the 1200 calories a day and do not eat back the calories on most days that I've burned off by working out, so I usually end up about 400 calories under for the day... I've been doing this for 8 days now and have lost 7 pounds... I know that this will mellow out soon and I will have to bump up my workouts but it has helped to motivate me to stay on track and keep doing it. I went to an endocrinologist a few years ago who tested me on every level. I am really lucky and do not suffer from the insulin resistance at all, he prescribed for me aldactone which I take 100mg every morning. This has helped with some of the issues such as the facial hair (which sucks!!!). When eating I really try to cut out starchy stuff, like the white breads and white rice - i go with whole grain wherever i can... also, i avoid salt like plague! Salt makes me retain water like wooooah so i make sure to steer clear of it.

Hope my rambling helps :)