Is it really necessary to lift weights in order to tone up?

Options
I've always hated exercise, but have always hated my body so my answer to this was losing weight by calorie restriction only. I realised this would never give me a body I'd be happy with so I recently started jogging (thirty-forty five minutes per day) and I actually love it. I don't dread doing it anymore, like I used to when I set myself an exercise goal. But, hearing that my efforts are wasted unless I'm doing weight training everywhere is a bit depressing. I haven't been doing it long enough to see for myself any results, or non-results so I'd like to know about people's experiences with jogging/running, and if it helped you any.

Thanks!

Replies

• chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Jogging and Running will definitely benefit your cardiovascular areas and aid in burning fat, but you will want to do some "weight training" type exercises. Toss in push ups, jumping jacks, etc and you will certainly see your muscles "tone." This will also help increase your metabolism as larger muscles burn more calories.

If you want something simple but effective (and also a favorite of this forum) Pick up Julian's (from biggest loser) 30 day shred. I am currently 12 days into it and it is difficult but effective. All you really have to buy weight wise are hand weights. I use 5 lb weights but had to start with 3lb. I already purchased 7 lb for the next bump up.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    you are not toning with jogging only, except to a limited extent in lower body. But eventually, you will reach a point, where you will no longer improve muscle tone in lower body, unless you start stressing body in new and different ways.

Cardio is great, and has many great benefits, but should be used in combo with a good strength training program, so you not only lose excess fat, but tighten up "tone", prevent "jiggles". Cardio only can only do this to a very limited extent.

Think of the gals at the gym, there year after year after year, always on the treadmill , or aerobic only classes- but never getting tighter, fitter looking, after a certain point. Thats because they are not "using" muscle in a manner to help it stay toned, tight, lean, fit. Unused muscle will get looser and looser with time, and eventually you physically lose muscle tissue, making your bodyfat levels higher - even though you may "look" thin. The fat to muscle ratio is still to high, to look and be fit. This not only effects appearance, it effects your health, your stability, injury rate etc.

See the example here of Stacy from Cardio only - to Stacy from adding on weight lifting, and decide which you would be personally happier with.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero

She actually weighs 10 lbs MORE on the more fit picture, even though she looks tighter, smaller, more fit.

So it really comes back to what you personally are aiming for, in your goals. But generally cardio only, creates higher bodyfat levels, with time, because you will lose muscle mass, and density "tone", with time, if you are not exercising it. So the longer you do cardio only, the "flabbier" you can start to look.

Also a good read here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414956-here-s-why-women-should-weight-lift-peer-reviewed-studies

Adding in lifting, especially heavy (as opposed to many reps with smaller weights, based on your fitness level) will give faster fat loss, faster inch loss, better overall tightness. leanness, and definition, raise your metabolism when you are resting (so you can eat more with less fear of gain) strengthen bones, and make you look much better both dressed and nakkid.

It comes back to finding something YOU like, there are many options that allow one to strength train, you just need to find one that suits you. You do not need to remove the jogging you love, just add strength training in with it, about three days a week, on alternate days.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    In my own experience, cardio was certainly helpful, but it only got me so far. I had been running for about a year, and was finishing up my marathon training at the end of last summer. I had been stuck at the picture on the left (see profile photo) for MONTHS - about 6 months to be exact. I was so frustrated.

Then I started lifting weights. Heavy weights at low reps. Look at my photo - they show me the day I started lifting in August, then in September, November and December. It made a major difference when it came to the end of my weight loss/fitness journey :)

You just have to decide what your goals are/what you want, and balance it with a lifestyle you can life with :) Best!
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    In my own experience, cardio was certainly helpful, but it only got me so far. I had been running for about a year, and was finishing up my marathon training at the end of last summer. I had been stuck at the picture on the left (see profile photo) for MONTHS - about 6 months to be exact. I was so frustrated.

Then I started lifting weights. Heavy weights at low reps. Look at my photo - they show me the day I started lifting in August, then in September, November and December. It made a major difference when it came to the end of my weight loss/fitness journey :)

You just have to decide what your goals are/what you want, and balance it with a lifestyle you can life with :) Best!
    ^This gal has the right idea. You will not become an "amazon". Weight lifting is a huge compliment to conditioning exercises (running, biking, etc).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    By reducing your percentage of body fat you will look more tone. Beyond that, yes you will need to add strength training to enhance it even more.
    To all those women who think they will "bulk up" should go to the gym and find the women just KICKING BUTT in classes and lifting weights to boot! They are not bulky. Such a myth.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Some weight training will be good to add to your routine for sure just as some of the other posters mentioned :)
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I used to hate weight training as well. Add a little here and there and next thing you know, you crave it! I kid you not, its like an addiction!!!! (But a healhty one). Start off slow, no need to run to the gym. I like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.......it combines cardio with light weights, but man will you get a good workout, all that and you dont even have to leave your house. put in 25 minutes and you're done!!!!!

Good luck!
    Wendy
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    the girl staci does look better in second pic but my problem with it is the 10lbs heavier part. If i wanted to look like that and my highest weight be 9st 6 I'd need to drop to 8st something then put the muscle on?

I also don't think I'd look healthy under 9st as I'm not sure if I'm medium/large frame and if I can get to 9st 6 yet.. I was aiming for 9st 3 in case I put a few pounds back on as soon as I went into maintenance.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Someone touched upon it in their post, but it is important to remember that women start to lose muscle mass as we age, which effects our metabolism and our weight. If you don't really work to add the muscle, we lose it and pack on the pounds. Also, weight-bearing exercise helps us keep up our bone density, so we don't end up hunched over with osteoporosis.

I had been focusing really just on cardio, and I do love a good sweat! But I realized that I was stalling out with just that. I started "New Rules of Lifting for Women" a few months ago and have been seeing great results thus far. I can't wait to go from stage to stage to see how much stronger (and leaner) I'll get. I'll never give up Zumba, but I'm really loving the free weights now!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this answer will probably confict with most of the others, but I can only give my own personal experience. Which is, that it depends a lot on your age. Younger people are naturally firmer than older people. When I was younger (I'm 50 now) I ran and did little other exercise and I had a great body. No bat wings or saggy boobs In fact, I ran less than you because I only ran 3 mi max and that rarely took more than 30 min. I should add that I was not running to lose weight, but to prevent weight gain. I don't know how much you are trying to lose, but losing a large amount of weight could make a difference. IDK because I never did. Now I have to do some arm strength exercises to keep the muscles toned, but lifting heavy is still not necessary.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    "This can also happens as we age, as the muscle we built by running, jumping, and playing in our childhood and teens atrophies due to under-use with a more sedentary life, so people in their early twenties are seen as having “high metabolisms”, supposedly not having to work to maintain lean body shapes. This “high metabolism” is because the muscle they built in their teen years is burning excess calories and fat, and with the low body fat levels, you can see their “toned” muscle underneath. However, as they take day jobs and do not stimulate their bodies, their muscles atrophy, burning less calories and thereby lowering their “high metabolism” and leading to increased body fat as they age. Usually, people try to do “more cardio” to regain their lean, toned bodies that they had when they were younger. However, since they do nothing to build new muscle or maintain their current muscle, they slowly transition to a thin, but “skinny fat”, look as they age."

and

"Some people keep saying to be leaner they just need more cardio and less strength. Well, yes, if you just do “more cardio”, you will lose more fat, but you would also lose muscle because without anaerobic and strength training, your body burns muscle as well as fat. So, instead of looking more like a Victoria Secret model, you start to look more like a runway model. Then, once you stop doing “more cardio” you will gain fat even faster now that you don’t have the muscle to burn the extra calories, resulting in the “skinny fat” look. You can see this in ex-athletes that have tried to “get leaner” by doing “more cardio” only to result in having more fat with less muscle."

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
  • tangal88
    Options
    the girl staci does look better in second pic but my problem with it is the 10lbs heavier part. If i wanted to look like that and my highest weight be 9st 6 I'd need to drop to 8st something then put the muscle on?

I also don't think I'd look healthy under 9st as I'm not sure if I'm medium/large frame and if I can get to 9st 6 yet.. I was aiming for 9st 3 in case I put a few pounds back on as soon as I went into maintenance.

First scale weight should NEVER be your only tool. It is just one tool, and an inaccurate one to measure actual health, muscle mass vs fat etc. Scales measure fat, water, bone, organs, undigested food, water you drank, or are retaining - but cannot accurately tell you which its fat, which is water. Two girls, same height, and weight - can have dramatically different body fat percentages, one be healthy, one not. Even the special bodyfat digitial scales are not very accurate.

I am 10-15 lbs heavier, then I look for my size. Last time I was at this clothing size, tight fit, I weighed less then I do now. I am a smaller clothing size (good fit), and LOOK better, tighter, leaner - but weigh more.

I have lost fat, lost inches, and gained some muscle - so I look better, dressed or undressed.

Thats much more important then scale weight. How tight are you, how do you look. How do your clothes fit?

So you can use the scale as a rough guide, but better, also use a tape measure, clothing fit, how you look in the mirror. Then just judge how you look as you go. You can easily readjust your weight goals, based on your appearance.

I would like to lose roughly 10 more pounds, but really thats not my exact goal. I actually am more focused on losing bodyfat, or lowering my bodyfat percentage overall. As I lower that, to get me to where I want to be appearance wise, I really do not care what the scale says. But I have estimated it to be about 10 more pounds. (based on my estimated lean body mass for my height and size, (which is still only an estimate)

As I get closer to that goal, I may find I only need to lose 5 lbs, or maybe I need to lose 15. Ether way, I will adjust at that time.
  • bcattoes
    Options

This is a great example! I actually think the second pic from the left looks the best. Not knocking your progress, definite kudos to you for reaching your goal. Just saying that different people like different looks.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    This is a great example! I actually think the second pic from the left looks the best. Not knocking your progress, definite kudos to you for reaching your goal. Just saying that different people like different looks.

Thanks! Honestly, my goal is to be strong, fast and fit. Whatever that body looks like on me is what I want. Regardless of the look, in the second to last photo I could only squat 105lbs and now I'm squatting approximately my body weight (140). I want to be the strongest, fastest me, regardless of what that looks like, even if it doesn't fit with the current popular ideas of female beauty :) Yay strength!
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've always hated exercise, but have always hated my body so my answer to this was losing weight by calorie restriction only. I realised this would never give me a body I'd be happy with so I recently started jogging (thirty-forty five minutes per day) and I actually love it. I don't dread doing it anymore, like I used to when I set myself an exercise goal. But, hearing that my efforts are wasted unless I'm doing weight training everywhere is a bit depressing. I haven't been doing it long enough to see for myself any results, or non-results so I'd like to know about people's experiences with jogging/running, and if it helped you any.

Thanks!

I don't think your efforts are wasted, but I am definitely someone who has come around when it comes to weights. I used to do a lot of cardio, between cycling (or spin class), boxerfit, jogging (treadmill) and whatever other classes struck my fancy. I paid little attention to weight training. Then I got a trainer and he has done a lot with me. Other then the physical changes in how I look, my endurance and strength have improved a lot. So now I can work out even harder and better in all of those classes that I enjoy going to.

I just feel fit and strong. I love it.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    I hated lifting weights and didn't do it unless it was part of a class at the gym. Then I discovered all of these cool apps (most of them are free) that basically spell out for you what to do. I use Fleetly (they have P90X workouts and Jillian Michael's workouts on there) as well as Fitness Buddy. On Fitness Buddy it actually tells you how many sets/reps to do if you want to tone, or if you want to strengthen, or if you want to bulk. Takes the guessing out of what to do. Now, I LOVE working out with the free weights at the gym and am no longer intimidated when I go to that part of the gym. Good luck!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    not only to tone, but women especially need weight-bearing exercise to prevent bone loss, osteoporosis and other health complications.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    not only to tone, but women especially need weight-bearing exercise to prevent bone loss, osteoporosis and other health complications.

Running is a weight bearing exercise. Most cardio is.
  • tangal88
    Options

Running is a weight bearing exercise. Most cardio is.

yes it is, to an extent, but you reach a point where you start to get diminishing returns. So depending on your goals, you may find no matter how much you run, you cannot "get there"

Eventually your muscles are able to handle the running "weight bearing" stress you give them. At that point "they" will no longer improve. And if you are at a level you are happy at - thats terrific.

In the case of bones, they actually start to remineralize, when women do heavier load (lower rep) weight lifting for long periods of time. So they get denser, stronger, healthier. Broken hips, and fractures are a big risk as we age, and often can be deadly, because of complications, and inability to heal, related to age.

I read about one lady, who improved her bone health to the level of a 20 year old, even though she was in her 40's. Not sure how running correlates to lifting in that aspect, since you may be talking about bone health only.
    But strength/resistance training, with weights, or bands, has many other benefits vs cardio only.

Generally people find, they want to keep improving in some viable aspect, tighten other areas, lessen jiggle, shave off an inch here or there etc. - and that's where the amount of effort you put into cardio only - for the results you get, are less and less of a payoff.

This is the same reason lifting light weight with many reps only works for a short while, in the short term. Yes you will feel some "toning" and tightening, at first. You will see a benefit. At first.

But, eventually your muscles are no longer challenged, and you will tighten no more past that point. You have reached a place where you are getting stagnant.

That in it self would be okay, if you liked where you are, and if the body 'stayed" there. But it does not. Muscle ether grow or shrink. The body does not keep tissues is deems unneeded. Muscle takes extra nutrients and calories to keep. Fat takes very little to keep.

As you age, muscle loss does increase for all sexes, and if you are not actively doing something to prevent that ( stressing muscles beyond where they are now, adding new challenges, using what you have, in a way that makes it needed, to force the body to maintain, and improve them) then even with running, you will start to look less fit.

Running also only works some body areas, there are many muscles that are worked very little, they will get flabbier as time progresses.
  • JustLena75
    Options

I am seeing this a lot here, heavier weights with lower reps. How many reps do you do per set?