swimming - just how good is it?

Options
is swimming more for toning or is it good cardio too? is it a good exercise to lose weight or should i lose weight doing straight cardio and then go to swimming to get the toning?

Replies

• mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    that's such a great question. i took a swimming class in hopes of easing back tension. turned out that i got worse neck pains because i didn't use correct form. but once perfected, swimming is realllly good aerobic activity, as well as cardio. i'm sure it works for fat loss too, but you would likely need to do a lot of reps.
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    do you think the toning in itself will help burn fat? i know muscle burns fat faster, but is it actually comparative to straight cardio???
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Swimming will get your heart rate up just as high as running (you can wear a HRM while you swim with most brands to test it). You use your arms, chest, shoulders, legs, back and stomach muscles (obliques) with each overhand stroke. You may not feel it until you get out of the pool, but you will build up a significant sweat.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    all my kids were swimmers and they were all in amazing shape. I think it is among the best exercises you can do.

zero impact
    can't feel the sweat
    refreshing and wonderful on a hot day
    great excuse to have multiple bathing suits- and a great way to look hot in them:wink::heart:
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Swimming is AWESOME!

I've done this before and lost 35 pounds with swimming being my only exercise, and diet of course. It's good cardio and resistance training. I take a water bottle and am thirsty after doing a few laps, and am breathing hard. It does get your heart rate up, if it doesn't, you aren't working at enough intensity.

At my size (214 lbs) a 30 minute swim (butterfly stroke, forward crawl, backstroke) earns me over 500 calories burned.
  • jamieguin
    jamieguin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 days a week for 45 minutes. Until I started following MFP, I did not lose weight. I suspect I may have been in starvation mode. However, I toned significantly (no saggy arms, and thinner through the hips and thighs) and did lose inches. Now, that I am also watching my calories and making sure that I eat during the day, I am losing weight. I like that MFP adds so many calories for swimming although I have never eaten them all. In the end, it depends what you like to do. Personally, it is the one place where I have true time to myself and I look forward to getting in the pool. Good luck.
  • greena
    greena Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise, but just remember it isn't weight bearing. All women should mix in resistance training if they primarily swim for cardio, to get that weight bearing benefit to build muscle and keep your bone density up. I think it's best to mix swimming into a weekly schedule of cardio & weight training, if you don't have joint problems and are otherwise healthy.
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent cardio workout! I lap swim regular....I've found the ending results works your entire body and YES you can and do lose the weight! But for tonning and building the lean muscle weights...weights...and more weights - done with proper form, reps and sets will increase your metabolism, take off inches and increase your strenght and endurance.