portion control

Options
I'm struggling with portion control. I seem to feel deprived if there isn't a lot on my plate. I have tried eating on a smaller plate and using a big fork to try and fool my eye, but it doesn't seem to work. What works for you???

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies..fills you up
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Actually I dont use different plates...
    But, portion control is very easy to do if you are willing to devote to this weightloss effort.

You have to be very dedicated to meal planning so you dont have that mentality of feeling deprived.

This morning I made a steak fajita for breakfast.
    5oz Eye round beef
    1oz Sorrento Provolone
    1 serving of my homemade chimichurri sauce (from scratch)
    fresh sauteed colorful bell pepper strips
    fresh sauteed red and white onions
    Chipotle sauce

All sitting on a Joseph's Low carb pita folded over and lightly cooked as a fajita...
    Two glasses (12oz) water

I ate that at 7:00am this morning. Its about 8:15am, and Im still full....

This meal should hold me until about 1:30pm today for lunch...

go to www.calorieking.com and start looking up the healthy foods you will eat.. get the information you need to see what portions should read...

Get a scale and be responsible for portion control.... you have to get a healthy balance in order to feel satisfied... it can be done. And almost 70lbs gone, Im proof that it can be done!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Fill up on protein vegetables and good oils. Drink water.Don't snack. Wait till you are really hungry before you eat at the next mealtime. Have some commitment for a week or two and your body will get used to the new way. You won't look back.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I'd love to see some more tips! I've also tried smaller plates, and drinking water before you eat.. but I still feel like if I don't finish my plate I'm still hungry!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies..fills you up

Exactly. Eat smaller portions of meat and starch type things and load up on the veggies. You will be full. The problem is when you think you "need" 10 ounces of meat, a large pile of rice, etc. Alternatively, start dinner off with a big salad as your first course, then proceed to eat the rest of your dinner.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how low calorie veggies are. Practically free foods! Make whatever your dinner is, then, steam up a zuchini and an italian squash and put them down first, then, some sauteed mushrooms and onions, THEN, your dinner. Meat, rice, etc. Plate is HUGE and the bed of veggies, about 100 calories. Or use raw spinnach leaves, etc.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Oh, and i agree, foods cale food scale food scale.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Pile on anymore that you think of!! I feel like I am really committed this time, so hopefully I will be able to really pull it together.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Oh, and i agree, foods cale food scale food scale.

Unfortunately I broke my favorite scale - the platform wont glue back in anymore... so I have decided to order a high grade food scale from work.... thank GAWD for connections! LOL!
  • photogirl87
    Options
    With me I just divided up my daily calories evenly. It says I should have around 1,600 a day. So my 3 meals a day are 400 each... I am usually a little under. then I have 400 calories that I use for snacks if I'm feeling a little hungry. Try to grab something like an apple and cheese or something else that is healthy. I've read you should never feel really hungry because your body goes into starvation mode and it thinks it needs to hold onto all that fat. I haven't been doing this very long but I find the closer I stay to my calorie amount set for my meals I feel fuller with out feeling like I'm starving just a little after I eat. I hope you find something that works for you!