Reasons why no one responded to your topic

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
I have seen what seems like an increased number of topics where an OP has posed a question as a new topic, does not receive any comments after a while, and then posts a comment along the lines of: "well, I guess nobody cares about (me, my question, my concerns, I thought this was a supportive place, etc).

Here are some reasons why no one has responded to your topic:

1. It's something that has been asked and answered many times before. I don't mean this in a negative way. In the past there have been complaints about new users not using the "search" feature to try to find an answer on their own. I am not going there. The search feature is not always that user-friendly and I would expect that many new users aren't even aware of it.

However, that does not change the fact that, if you are the 30th person to ask 'why doesn't MFP give me calories for strength training" in a 24 hour period, it's understandable that those who do know the answer and have answered it 10 times before have decided to pass on the next 20 times it is asked. Again, I am not criticizing new members who ask another common question--just explaining why your question did not get much response.

2. It's busy this time of year--during the week, new topics can roll off the front page of the topic list in 30 min or less. I have had it happen many times myself--spent an hour or so on a new blog, only to see it vanish like an ice cube on an Arizona sidewalk.

3. For whatever reason, your question just might not relate to the majority of members, or it might be something that most people don't feel qualified to comment on. "Calories Burned During Badminton/" might be just too specialized a topic.

Internet discussion groups are a "marketplace of ideas". As in any marketplace, you can sometimes throw your "product" out there and find there is no market for it. Step right up and try it again!

And if you really need responses, just post "What are your gym pet peeves?", "How many calories do I burn having sex?", or "Paleo diets are stupid".....trust me, you'll get all the attention you want...:devil:

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Right.

I posted about improving my vertical jump and it got "crickets". Also posted my lift routine and asked for suggested variations, also "crickets".

Obviously the weight loss is the main focus here with most with not too many interested in the more specialized aspects of exercise
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    All excellent points. Search feature -and / or- google are your friends.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Or sometimes if they are new I'll just let them know to search - there's nothing worse than crickets.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Right.

I posted about improving my vertical jump and it got "crickets". Also posted my lift routine and asked for suggested variations, also "crickets".

Obviously the weight loss is the main focus here with most with not too many interested in the more specialized aspects of exercise

Yeah, the topics come and go so fast this time of year, sometimes those that need a more specialized answer don't stay up long enough to attract the right people.

There's nothing wrong with "bumping" your own topic (reply to your own topic to "bump" it back up to the top of the list) to give it a second viewing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So true! Especially your first point - some days I see the same question asked multiple times in a short amount of time. Even if they don't use the search, simply clicking to page 2 might get them the topic they are looking for.

And -
    "Calories Burned During Badminton/" might be just too specialized a topic.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
    I try to respond to topics people have not responded to as I can
  • untilthesun
    untilthesun Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    True that.

Ive posted a few topics that havent received responses....i aint mad! thats life :P

The last one i posted was a rant about how ridiculous biggest loser was.....so it wasnt important...just thought id get it off my chest!

There are more important things that responding to posts on the tinterweb.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I still think it would've been funnier if no one responded to this topic... :wink:
  • Azdak
    Options
    I still think it would've been funnier if no one responded to this topic... :wink:

That would have been awesome! Too late now.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Yep, and one more to add. Timing can make a difference. There seems to be a lot more traffic during the US' weekday business hours. A topic posted on weekends or at odd hours just doesn't get as many eyes on it as otherwise.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    There are sidewalks in Arizona? I thought there was just sand.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have seen what seems like an increased number of topics where an OP has posed a question as a new topic, does not receive any comments after a while, and then posts a comment along the lines of: "well, I guess nobody cares about (me, my question, my concerns, I thought this was a supportive place, etc).

Here are some reasons why no one has responded to your topic:

1. It's something that has been asked and answered many times before. I don't mean this in a negative way. In the past there have been complaints about new users not using the "search" feature to try to find an answer on their own. I am not going there. The search feature is not always that user-friendly and I would expect that many new users aren't even aware of it.

However, that does not change the fact that, if you are the 30th person to ask 'why doesn't MFP give me calories for strength training" in a 24 hour period, it's understandable that those who do know the answer and have answered it 10 times before have decided to pass on the next 20 times it is asked. Again, I am not criticizing new members who ask another common question--just explaining why your question did not get much response.

2. It's busy this time of year--during the week, new topics can roll off the front page of the topic list in 30 min or less. I have had it happen many times myself--spent an hour or so on a new blog, only to see it vanish like an ice cube on an Arizona sidewalk.

3. For whatever reason, your question just might not relate to the majority of members, or it might be something that most people don't feel qualified to comment on. "Calories Burned During Badminton/" might be just too specialized a topic.

Internet discussion groups are a "marketplace of ideas". As in any marketplace, you can sometimes throw your "product" out there and find there is no market for it. Step right up and try it again!

And if you really need responses, just post "What are your gym pet peeves?", "How many calories do I burn having sex?", or "Paleo diets are stupid".....trust me, you'll get all the attention you want...:devil:

Nice post. People also forget that General Discussion is not the only forum.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use to get insulted when my questions were not answered. Now that I've been here for a while I really don't care to even post a new topic. Guess I know it all now. :happy:
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I started a new topic in the chit-chat section and It was called Time Zone Fun....Didn't even get any response.....:sad:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Increasing one's circle of friends -- especially friends that are active in the forums -- helps immensely. They can jump in to provide comments, getting more exposure among their friends, and so on.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Well dang, I was too slow. What he said ^^^.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Seriously the other day a new girl posted something and literally gave it like 10 minutes or less and came back with a reply sounding all agitated because no one had responded! If you're that insecure....ugh.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Seriously the other day a new girl posted something and literally gave it like 10 minutes or less and came back with a reply sounding all agitated because no one had responded! If you're that insecure....ugh.
    I've seen reactions after 5 minutes. Craziness.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Some of the subjects need a sticky. Everyday there at least 20 or 30 "I want to start running" posts. There should be a "C25K click here to learn about running" tab.

How about calories burned on gym machine vs. MFP vs. HRM posts?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    May I add to make your question specific? I've seen many topics that are very broad or vague and it's hard to leave an answer without writing a book. More people would likely respond if they can just drop a line or two to answer the question.