Negative responses from others

Options
Does anyone get a negative response from family members(or other people)? Multiple times this week I have been asked if I tried something delicious, and then been told I can't have any because I am on a diet.. or have seen my family eat my favorite foods and deny me even a taste of it since "I am on a diet." It is really frustrating. How do you deal with it?

I am still making sure I am under my calorie goal for the day before wanting to eat something, and I have been exercising, but my family seems to think that watching calories suddenly means I can't eat anything.

Replies

• camayallover
    camayallover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would tell them :

"I won't be soon if you do not support me...those comments do not help."

Just my reaction....
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that's more helpful than the opposite, even if it seems they're trying to be too controlling. Hopefully they think they're being supportive.
  • Miriai
    Miriai Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they are trying to be supportive or not, but they seem to be that way a lot. It seems like they enjoy holding something over my head. Its really dumb because in my family I am the lightest and they all complain about their weight but when it comes to things like this they eat in front of me and point out the fact that I am on a diet.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are getting this negative response, but it is not uncommon. Lots of us on MFP have received the similar comments.
    I don't know why people do this to family members, co-workers and friends. Are they trying to help?
    Think of how you will respond. A response that suits your personality. If you give them the same response every time they will give up. It really helps to be consistent with your message, whatever it is.
    Good Luck!
  • losgan
    losgan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Me too, it's my hubby. He's getting better now that he knows how serious I am but he used to sabotage me every time I started making progress. I would ask me to bake treats or go out to a fancy dinner. I thought he like me fat, turns out that while he doesn't MIND me fat he was more worried that I would be gone as soon as I got all thin and sexy.

Why would I want to replace the man who has wanted me from thin to thick (literally)?

9658254.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yes I got a lot of them and it sucked... but ironically some of the people who had these comments are the same ones asking for help now ;) Just keep your head high :)
  • Miriai
    Miriai Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is all helpful. I am trying to convince my family to do things with me and even convinced my mom to try out some DDR with me tomorrow! I will try to keep my head up. Hopefully this time I will be able to reach my goals!