Do You Track Olive Oil??

Options
1235»

Replies

• Shesabigstar
    Options
    You guys are all so helpful - thank you for all the responses.

The dish is a pasta chicken dish that says to saute the garlic in that much oil then mix the pasta in. That's probably why it calls for so much oil but I am going to cut it in half (at least) and try water or broth. Great suggestion - I've never thought to use that for this but it's a great idea and sounds like it works good.

I know the oil is a healthy fat, but it's hard to see that number when you're in the early stages of losing and counting so strictly.

Thanks again! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know, I was just being silly. Actually if there is some left in the pan after cooking I'll subtract that amount. For instance if I cook a salmon fillet in 3 tbsp of oil and there is 1.5 left in the pan when I'm done, then I only log 1.5.

mmmmmm... what is left is NOT all oil. its the water cooking out of the meat, so if you count it as all oil, you are underestimating your caloric intake.

Well, I press fish between paper towels to remove as much water as possible before cooking in oil because with water in the pan the fish won't brown nicely. Plus, since oil and water separate, it's not hard to see how much of what is left is oil. I just eyeball it when I put it in and when I guestimate how much is left so I'm sure it's not 100% accurate. I don't obsess over little differences like that.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Depends...for example a fried egg already adds some calories for oil/butter so I don't add it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I always track Olive Oil. I like that idea about subtracting what is left in the pan though. I never thought of that.

Hard to do if there are pan juices from other ingredients. Spray pan with cooking spray, reduce amount of olive oil by half or more. A little HEALTHY oil each day is GOOD FOR YOU. By healthy I mean olive or coconut oil, not canola or corn oil.

What is wrong with Canola oil?

Nothing at all.
    "Good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk. "Bad" fats—saturated and, especially, trans fats—increase disease risk. Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. Foods high in bad fats include red meat, butter, cheese, and ice cream, as well as processed foods made with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oil. The key to a healthy diet is to choose foods that have more good fats than bad fats—vegetable oils instead of butter, salmon instead of steak—and that don’t contain any trans fat.
    source: Harvard School of Public Health
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html