Over 500 calorie sandwich ....

Options
I just put my sandwich in my food diary for lunch and it was over 500 calories, I am shocked and clearly know nothing about food haha
What can I have for lunch that does not need cooking?
Some days I am at home working, other I am at uni and also weekends home with the kids...
Any suggestions would be great thank you.

Replies

• zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Two slices of bread can really get you (easily 100-120/slice). Try the 100 calorie sandwich thins to help cut the calories and be careful with the condiments like mayo.
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    Two slices of bread can really get you (easily 100-120/slice). Try the 100 calorie sandwich thins to help cut the calories and be careful with the condiments like mayo.
    I had chicken breast, hummus and salad. I will look for "100 calorie sandwich thins" but have never heard of them or seen them. Thanks

Actually just looked and does not look like it something you can get in NZ
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    or sara lee bread makes a 45 cal per slice bread.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Look for the 100 cal buns in the hambuger/hotdog bun section. The ones over here are made by Earth Grains. Yum!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    at the beginning of the week i cook up 3-5lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast and chop it,slice it ect and i put that in the fridge.. then all i have to do is grab some and slap it on bagel or sandwich thins ..sometimes make a wrap .they are only 100 calories .the chicken is about 120.. i put franks hot sauce on it because ive alleviated condiments other than that from my diet for now. or you can make a salad and throw the chicken on it too..
  • MintheWing
    Options
    I like to have a half sandwich (just one slice of bread) with some lunch meat, light mayo, and pickle. Some lunch meats are really low calorie, especially ham depending what you get. On the side I'll have the rest of my pickle and some carrot sticks or something. You could also have a half sandwich with a cup of tomato soup and save the rest of the soup for the next day!

*Edit- oops! I didn't realize you said things that don't need cooking, 86 the tomato soup idea but you get what I mean!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    La Banderita makes whole wheat fajita's that are 80 calories for 2! I make yummy wraps with hummus, veggies, sprouts, cheese and california boca's in strips. It's very filling and on my "hungrier" days, I add a cup of tomato soup, all that equals 300 calories. :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Natures own makes a very yummy full size wheat bread - 35 calories per slice.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    I buy the 35-40 calorie bread, deli ham (25 calories each slice) and 2% cheese (40 calories each slice) and use mustard or ketscup for little to no calories.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I like soup, veggie/egg white/chicken sausage scrambles, salads with lots of veggies and sliced turkey, etc. Lots you can do! When you make a meal carb-centric, like by using bread, calories go up fast. You can still get the carbs you need with veggies and beans and such without making your calories go up so fast!
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    all these ideas are great! =)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in NZ too :) feel free to add me! I think vogels do a light/low calorie version?!
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had chicken breast, hummus and salad. I will look for "100 calorie sandwich thins" but have never heard of them or seen them. Thanks

Actually just looked and does not look like it something you can get in NZ
    I'm in NZ too. I have basically dropped bread altogether, but you can get corn thins (even flavoured ones) which are quite tasty!
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    For lunch, I like soup, veggie/egg white/chicken sausage scrambles, salads with lots of veggies and sliced turkey, etc. Lots you can do! When you make a meal carb-centric, like by using bread, calories go up fast. You can still get the carbs you need with veggies and beans and such without making your calories go up so fast!
    Yea I think I might have to move towards salads, which is fine just a bit harder to eat when you are on the go haha

Thank you for all the suggestions of bread, most I have never heard of and from looking online do not look available in NZ but I will have a look next time I amount and find something low cal :happy:
  • alisonsingh
    Options
    Try a Hummus Veggie-wich and small mixed green salad..From the turbo fire book...

SANDWICH: makes 1 serving
    2 tbsp hummus
    2 slices of whole wheat bread (toasted if desired)
    1/4 avocado mashed
    1/2 cucumber sliced
    1 cup alfalfa sprouts
    1 slice of low-fat Swiss Cheese

Spread hummus on bread. Layer on avocado, cucumber, and sprouts, then top with cheese. Serve with small mixed green salad.

NUTRITION INFORMATION:
    (Hummus Veggie-wich only)
    CALORIES: 398
    PROTIEN: 20g
    CARBS: 44g
    TOTAL FAT: 18.5g
    FIBER: 11g

SMALL MIXED GREEN SALAD: makes 1 serving
    1/2 cup mixed greens
    1/2 medium tomato, diced
    1/2 cucumber sliced
    1/2/ tbsp. balsalmic vinegar

Toss ingredients together.

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
    CALORIES: 22
    PROTIEN: 1g
    CARBS: 4g
    TOTAL FAT: 0 g
    FIBER: 1.5g
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use the Public brand reduced calorie natural grain bread (it's 90 cals for 2 slices). I also buy Hillshire Farms low sodium turkey & ham (4 slices is a serving, so I get creative & do 2 slices of each sometimes). I don't use mayo, so I use a squirt of yellow mustard on each side (no calories, only a little sodium) and a slice of whatever cheese I choose. Without cheese, the sandwich is 160 cals. You can, of course add more meat & cheese than 1 serving and that would up the calories if you want or you can add a slice of tomato, onion, lettuce, etc to "fill" the sandwich for fewer cals.
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    Hey I'm in NZ too :) feel free to add me! I think vogels do a light/low calorie version?!
    have sent request, your profile says Albany, AU? are you in Oz at the mo...
  • peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try not eating sandwiches. When you have time bake boneless skinless chicken breast with your favorite herbs. Or make a lean .beef roast. For healthy low calorie lunches make a salad using lettuce, chopped celery, chopped broccoli, chopped green pepper,chopped carrots, and 2 tablespoons low fat dressing. Sometimes I do not use a dressing and sprinkle vinegar over the salad. With the cooked meat in your refrigerator its quick and nutritious .I eat salads often so I keep small bowls of chopped raw vegetables in the refrigerator. Chop vegetable and place on a dry paper towel inside a plastic bowl that seals ( like Tupperware). Wet a paper towel in cold water and squeeze out as much water as you can. Lay wet paper towel over the top of the chopped vegetables then place lid on bowl and seal.. This should keep for several days in the refrigerator. I have lost 35 pounds in the last 4 1/2 months. I do not eat a lot of carbs and I try to keep fats as low as I can. Hope this helps you.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of lettuce wraps. Just wrap some of your favorite fixin's in a leaf or two of your favorite lettuce. I prefer butter lettuce or Iceberg.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can always make a filling low calorie soup and have a piece of bread with it, even half a low calorie sandwich would make a filling meal!

Or half a sandwich with lots of garden salad :)