Size 6 is a PLUS size model?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    That's idiotic. If anything these models could gain a few. Half of them look like they are withering. It's not even sexy anymore when I see these girls on the run way. They look sickly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    It's FOX News. When have they ever made sense?
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    CRAZY And people wonder why so many have eating disorders now.
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame the news source for telling it how it is. I've seen that somewhere else though.
    It's ridiculous, the media needs to be stopped.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The way she's cradling the super thin model like she's a baby... beautifully shot. It really makes you think about the health of the women forced to starve themselves for their work.

You can see the whole shoot on the PLUS magazine site. it's really well done!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    And yet Marilyn Monroe was a size 12... so they say.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm on both sides. Are today's runway and editorial models grossly thin? Yeah. Does a statistic comparing the ratio of models:avg women 20 yrs ago VS. models:avg women today mean anything to me? No. The avg woman 20 yrs ago wasn't as fat as the avg woman today. We need to get away from glorifying sticks, yes, but that doesn't mean we need to make being obese "okay" either.

Where's all the models who look like they could kick our *kitten*? Bring on the fitness. THAT would be a fine ideal.
  • I'm on both sides. Are today's runway and editorial models grossly thin? Yeah. Does a statistic comparing the ratio of models:avg women 20 yrs ago VS. models:avg women today mean anything to me? No. The avg woman 20 yrs ago wasn't as fat as the avg woman today. We need to get away from glorifying sticks, yes, but that doesn't mean we need to make being obese "okay" either.

Where's all the models who look like they could kick our *kitten*? Bring on the fitness. THAT would be a fine ideal.

I completely agree. The statistic is meaningless unless I know the weight distribution of women 20 years ago versus the weight distribution of women now. Regardless, neither of the models has any muscle tone...which to me is more important than being a size 0 or 6.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    holy crap...i would love to be a size 6 !!!! or even a size 8. (i'm 5'9)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Size 12 then =/= Size 12 now

Also this: http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/the-body-of-marilyn-monroe/

a 24" waist at my height? Bahahahaha, talk to me in a year of working my *kitten* off....and I still won't be that skinny.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    That is so sad...Even if I ever get to my smallest size, it won't be as small as a 6...guess I'll always be plus sized..
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This makes me sick to my stomach for so many reasons!!
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    They are models, not real women, for a model size 6 is chunky.
  • reckless99
    Options
    Yep, comparing sizes are meaningless as well.

Size 6 today would probably have been a size 10 or thereabouts 20 years ago anyway.

The super thin model looks awful but to be honest, the plus sized model does not look good either, not toned and fit at all.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This title, and the first part of the article, seem to be deliberately provocative and deceptive. The model featured is a size 14, which is indeed plus sized, and quite likely, unhealthy. She may be beautiful, and look great, but a size 14 is overweight, in almost any circumstance.

I went back and looked at the NSFW photos. Neither woman looks healthy at all. It's dangerous to promote either as ideal, when neither is.
  • x125x
    x125x Posts: 15
    Options
    More women will get the chance to model now. I was thinking if the models for average size women are size 0, it actually makes sense to me that the models for plus size women are a 6.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    OK, now this gets difficult for me due to international sizings but I followed the feature posted and I don't think that model is very large. I'm in Australia and a size US14 is a AU16-18 which is, to me, larger. So at 5' 7", I'm a US size 8, possibly 10 (depending which chart you go by but most suggest a two step difference so I go with 8). I certainly don't consider myself small so I'm confused ...
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bettie Page's measurements were 36-24-36 1/2. In today's sizes she would be a 6 or 8 most likely.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

In Marilyn's day a size 14 was today's 7. So yes, she was a size "14" then.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My daughter who never wore bigger than a 7 (and generally a 3/5 4/6), 5'7", very "narrow" looking, but with curves, was approached numerous times during her high school years, 2001-2006, by talent scouts and encouraged to persue modeling--as a plus-size model. I was FURIOUS when I found out! Talk about doing a number on a girl's self esteem. Plus, when I look at plus size clothes, I want to see how they REALLY look when worn. I complained to a company (Lane Bryant, I think) once about the models being so small that there was no way to get an accurate idea of how the clothing would look on an actual plus-sized person, and they wrote back and said that the public wanted to see things as they did it, that they got all kinds of negative input if they used truly large models.