NOT LOOSING WEIGHT OR INCHES????

Options

Replies

• babersbh
    Options
    If you have just quit smoking, don't be too hard on yourself. By quitting the habit (did it myself just over a year ago), your metabolism slows down.
    Keep at it, and all of a sudden, the pounds will start to go. Be sure not to starve yourself, because going into starvation mode will only put on the pounds.....Hang in there and good luck...

You CAN do it! :)
  • firefliesmaria
    Options
    well we do have to remember that women fluctuate water so maybe just try and relax and wait thats what im doing but I am going through the same thing as you and it is very very frustraiting I just feel like a cow and I have been working out everyday for the past ten days jogging 3 miles and different types of cardio with some weight lifting and I have not lost nothing!! I hope that it works out for you and if you figure it out let me know.
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well when I initially signed up for MFP I was only eating like 1,000 to 1,200 cals a day and just felt awful. MFP told me to eat around 1,600 and thats normally what I try to stay around now because I know that 1,000 was just too low. Although, the thought of eating back calories I earned from exercise just makes me cringe!! haha
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Well when I initially signed up for MFP I was only eating like 1,000 to 1,200 cals a day and just felt awful. MFP told me to eat around 1,600 and thats normally what I try to stay around now because I know that 1,000 was just too low. Although, the thought of eating back calories I earned from exercise just makes me cringe!! haha

then don't eat them. drink them!!!

2012-01-09_11-44-53_213.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Ohh and sorry I thought my diary was open, must have it just open to friends... will open it to public.

That worked.

Ok. Simple answer - you're under-eating by hundreds of calories. Eat more to succeed.

I was surprised to see a few days back you wrote in your diary that the day was a "cheat day" and you still had 800+ calories remaining. You're cheating in the wrong direction!

Also, check the "Unofficial FAQ": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!

You need to realize that your calorie allotment from this site is your goal and that goal does not include any calories you burn from exercise. Those need to be added and eaten.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Sometimes, you just gotta cringe. You should see me doing squats...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Everyday I log my food and exercise and it tells me that I should be in onederland within in 5 weeks!! I would have to loose 12 lbs in 5 weeks!! I am diligent about my food diary and log things that I eat that I really dont want ppl to know that I ate it. So I'm sure it is not my caloric intake. But I am always under my calorie goal and have only missed like 2 days of exercise in the past 2 weeks. The scale is literally stalled and has actually went up slightly (.4 lbs). I thought well maybe I'm gaining muscle and loosing inches. Well I decided to measure and I haven't lost any inches??? What is up???

Eating back your exercise calories may make you cringe, but your current pattern is not working that well at the moment. So cringe and eat them.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    From what I see, way too much processed food. Lower carbs and sugar. I think you are focused so much on calories, but they need to be the right calories. Fresh veggies and lean proteins, lower fructose/high fiber fruits (berries, apples, kiwi). Whole grains: quinoa, spelt. You can actually eat more with less processed foods, too, as they are lower in sugar, fat, carbs and calories.

And congrats on kicking the ciggie habit! I know it's tough. You are headed in the right healthy direction!

Lucy :)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i don't know you eating or exercise habits, but i'm going to assume you do what many people do when they want to lose weight: they starve themselves and do lots of cardio. women are the worst offenders, but men are guilt about doing this too. being overweight, you need to slowly adjust to this. remember, this is 80% nutrition.

so you set your "loss per week" goal to about 2lbs per week, and it spat out 1200, and you try to stay under that number. you might even be underestimating your daily activity level (without exercise) to sedentary. unless you are truly an office drone that sits at a desk all day, you should be at least at lightly active. remember, that number is already a deficit. you shouldn't be trying to come under it. if anything, go OVER!!

i think that if you are new to this game, you should change your weight loss settings for a loss of 1lb per week, and come as close as possible to the number MFP gives you. heck, if you go over by 200 its in the end of the world. while you're playing with your settings, take a look at what you maintenance calories are. see that number? as long as you eat under that number, you will still be at a calorie deficit. also, check out the tools bar, and check out your BMR. that is the number of calories your body needs just to stay alive if you were in a coma. do not eat less then this number.

while you are eating more, you need to chose healthy foods. however, so many people get into diet mode, and think all they can eat are egg whites and vegtables. fruits and veggies need to be included in a regular diet, but don't exlude foods like beef, pork, chicken (if you eat meat) because it gives you very essential proteins. if you are a vegitarian, you can get very good protein from many sources. btw, check out quinoa. i love it. its a grain that is also loaded in protein. yeah, don't cut out carbs completely. they are good for you.

i know a couple of women on here that were at 1200 calories. i told them pretty much what i told you now: eat more. i also told them to start strength training to supplement their cardio. at first they balked at upping their calories, but now they are like new people. their attitude has improved, they have lost more weight, inches (body fat percentage), and have more energy. i'm actually really inspired by them.

I just do not understand this rationale - i eat (i bleive) very cleanly - always maintaining around 1200 calories - i can't think of a day in the last 3 months i went above 1500. I am ALWAYS FULL, yet i feel that I'm lacking in nutrients also. I have a lot of digestive upset due to celiac and lactose intolerance, and am very sensitive to food - i excersise regular, although not as much as i used to - thats the only reason i can see for gaining rather than losing...?

If you look at my diary - you should note that december was a very odd month as i was on vacation the whole time and not once in my own routine so eating habits (and drinking especially) were very different.

I cannot fathom the thought of having to eat more to lose? I have always just acknowledged that I'm one of 'those people' who always have to watch what i eat so carefully....??? Any advice would be appreciate!
  • Idabud
    Idabud Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely think alot has to do with the food you are eating. I watched a doctor on TV talk and he said people really need to stay away from processed foods. Try to limit your diet to salads (watch the dressings), fresh vegies, fresh fruit, nuts, fresh meat. Check out my food diary. I have been making some awesome salads. Everything in them is good for you. Good luck! Don't give up, you can do this!!
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber? I hate to mention the unmentionable, but constipation can really screw everything up in regard to weight loss. If, right now, the major fiber loaded foods do not appeal to you, take some metamucil - it comes in pills now and taking them forces you to up your water intake at the same time, which is all good.
  • kimrae3
    kimrae3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You need to eat non processed foods and I'm really happy to hear that you have also given up cigs. but, that is also slowing down your weight loss. Don't start them up again! Just give your body time to adjust.
  • Beautiful_Natural
    Options
    Me either and this so sucks! I'm also doing weight watchers and I'm gaining.....wasting money. This shouldn't be this hard....
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options

then don't eat them. drink them!!!

2012-01-09_11-44-53_213.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^Love this^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    i don't know you eating or exercise habits, but i'm going to assume you do what many people do when they want to lose weight: they starve themselves and do lots of cardio. women are the worst offenders, but men are guilt about doing this too. being overweight, you need to slowly adjust to this. remember, this is 80% nutrition.

so you set your "loss per week" goal to about 2lbs per week, and it spat out 1200, and you try to stay under that number. you might even be underestimating your daily activity level (without exercise) to sedentary. unless you are truly an office drone that sits at a desk all day, you should be at least at lightly active. remember, that number is already a deficit. you shouldn't be trying to come under it. if anything, go OVER!!

i think that if you are new to this game, you should change your weight loss settings for a loss of 1lb per week, and come as close as possible to the number MFP gives you. heck, if you go over by 200 its in the end of the world. while you're playing with your settings, take a look at what you maintenance calories are. see that number? as long as you eat under that number, you will still be at a calorie deficit. also, check out the tools bar, and check out your BMR. that is the number of calories your body needs just to stay alive if you were in a coma. do not eat less then this number.

while you are eating more, you need to chose healthy foods. however, so many people get into diet mode, and think all they can eat are egg whites and vegtables. fruits and veggies need to be included in a regular diet, but don't exlude foods like beef, pork, chicken (if you eat meat) because it gives you very essential proteins. if you are a vegitarian, you can get very good protein from many sources. btw, check out quinoa. i love it. its a grain that is also loaded in protein. yeah, don't cut out carbs completely. they are good for you.

i know a couple of women on here that were at 1200 calories. i told them pretty much what i told you now: eat more. i also told them to start strength training to supplement their cardio. at first they balked at upping their calories, but now they are like new people. their attitude has improved, they have lost more weight, inches (body fat percentage), and have more energy. i'm actually really inspired by them.

Hell I didn't even know this!!! I wonder what how I am with this!!! Care to give advice too - Mind you I'm on a really really low budget and there are 2 people in our house - trying to eat healthy and maintain a ton ton ton of bills is insane!!! But advice is very welcomed!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options

^^ couldn't have said it better. It sounds odd but if sometimes
    You need to EAT more to bump up your metabolism. It worked for me! Undereating is not healthy eating. Eat back those cals ladies
  • paulatoca
    paulatoca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try changing the type of exercise you do and remove ALL Grains (and any processed food) from your diet for a week! Works wonders!
  • Candida1983
    Options
    My friend eats back the calories that she earns from exercise every single day, and in the past 5 months, she has lost 33 pounds!! You should be her friend on here, she's very inspirational! :bigsmile: CMmrsfloyd, she's been my best friend for 14 years and has inspired me to use MFP as a weight loss tool! You can do this!! :happy:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends, you may need to eat more, and of the "right" things. typical, fruits, vegetables, plenty water. and you don't have to stress about missing exercise, it's has awesome benefits and aids in weight loss but nutrition is number one.
  • mfpwizard
    Options
    To compensate for your calories you "need" during exercise:

- Eat a little portion of bread or some crabo an hour or two before exercise, depending on level of excercise. For example,if you are going to walk an hour, you eat 100 calories or so.
    - During exercise drink enough amount of water and perhaps sports drink (diluted if your exercise is not really heavy - you do not want to overcompensate but you need to return salt and minerals you lose because of sweating etc. back to your body).
    - Less than an hour after your exercise, you need to eat some protein.

Remember all the 3 items above should not compensate for more than your exercise.

Good Luck!