Please read diaries before commenting

Options

Replies

• Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree. Because telling someone way to go, just because they are under their calorie goal, isn't always a good thing. I see people with diaries where they only ate one not so great meal a day, and of course they were under their calorie goal, but they only ate crap, and not enough of it. They definitely need some other encouragement besides "Way to go!" They need someone to ask them if they are feeling alright, or something.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I should add that maybe the OP is misunderstanding her MFP friends. By saying "good job" they may just mean "good job logging on today".
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    They are not just talking about themselves but in general. Their point being if you do not look you may be congratulating someone on being anorexic.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send those lying sacks of shoes to my page lol i need as many "WTG'S" as i can get!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think its nice when people encourage others, so I don't think we should be criticizing them for not looking at diaries.

But what is encouraging or "validating" if the person knows their diary is actually *kitten* for the day but because of lack of logging or lack of eating properly they're "shown" under their calories for the day so people blanket comment..."good job" ? It just goes to show people are not truly taking an interest in the diary and giving empty compliments. At least from my perspective.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly think that posting this to the message boards is going to motivate people to behave any differently? If you personally don't feel you deserve praise for your diary, then don't complete the diary so that it won't post on your news feed.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send those lying sacks of shoes to my page lol i need as many "WTG'S" as i can get!

:laugh: That made me LOL :bigsmile:
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I always read before I comment. I do not want to congratulate people for eating 700 calories. :(

I feel the same. I am not going to congratulate someone for not eating enough calories nor am I going to congratulate someone who is under their calories but has a private diary.

"Congratulations" and "Way to go's"are saved for those who made healthy choice, not because they stayed under their calories.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I think its nice when people encourage others, so I don't think we should be criticizing them for not looking at diaries.

But what is encouraging or "validating" if the person knows their diary is actually *kitten* for the day but because of lack of logging or lack of eating properly they're "shown" under their calories for the day so people blanket comment..."good job" ? It just goes to show people are not truly taking an interest in the diary and giving empty compliments. At least from my perspective.

So then maybe instead of the OP posting a passive aggressive topic about her MFP friends, she should just confront them directly and delete them if she finds their compliments empty... I think we could go back and forth on this subject. If she were my MFP friend, and I stumbled upon this topic knowing it was about me, meh, I'd delete her. No time for that.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No, sometimes when you see somebody is under, that's reason enough to give a WTG!
    We all don't need to know the details - just the general gist, and some do actually take a quick peek when we have time.

I have one friend who is doing the HCG diet, I don't agree with it but I do encourage her to hang in there. I do not comment on folks who keep their diary secret and have deleted friends that routinely eat poorly (like well under 1200 on a routine basis). I am only going to encourage people that I know are doing it right. I have lots of eating disorder friends and they appreciate the honest response to their diary, so do I.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I see the OP's point. Have wondered when I see a friend's diary has fast food for all 3 meals, yet she DID keep it under calorie limit. we all have some crazy-food days, but this particular friend does have alot to learn about healthy foods. If I am her "friend' should I not attempt to give some guidance, and point out: "Hey, why don't you make a sandwich tonight at home?!" LOL.... In fact, i DID finally do that, and we had some great conversations about it. On the other hand, I don't have time to review everyone's diary. Can't win. :grumble:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    MissFit I am aware of that but it's just to make sure I'm doing it. If I just log in I'm not 100% sure if I've done it. By physichally closing the diary and typing 'Not logged' I am making sure I'm logging in :)

You can save notes in your diary without having to hit the "complete" button. All the "complete" button does is post it to your wall and give you an expected weight projection.
  • tamheath
    Options
    [/quote]

So then maybe instead of the OP posting a passive aggressive topic about her MFP friends, she should just confront them directly and delete them if she finds their compliments empty... I think we could go back and forth on this subject. If she were my MFP friend, and I stumbled upon this topic knowing it was about me, meh, I'd delete her. No time for that.
    [/quote]

True that. I wouldn't have gotten cranky at my friends over such a thing. :laugh:
  • ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I always read before I comment. I do not want to congratulate people for eating 700 calories. :(

I feel the same. I am not going to congratulate someone for not eating enough calories nor am I going to congratulate someone who is under their calories but has a private diary.

"Congratulations" and "Way to go's"are saved for those who made healthy choice, not because they stayed under their calories.

And if we can't do that we don't comment, right? I am not one to criticize....I am not a FITNESS EXPERT but I do encourage and feel encouraged when friends post.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    you're seriously complaining about encouragement? *sigh*

Yes.. she has a valid point. When someone has a daily goal of 1200 calories, and they do 900 calories worth of exercise to bump them up to 2100 and then they only eat 500 calories for the day? They do NOT need to be told GOOD JOB for behavior that will make them sick and not help them lose weight. -400 calories for the day is the WRONG kind of deficit. And like some on here could be indication of a eating disorder that does not need to encouraged.

If you want to encourage people to kill themselves, go right ahead.
  • tamheath
    Options
    See.... I don't even know how to quote correctly. Ah, well. Next.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log food or exercise to be counted as logging in daily. You just have to log onto this site is all. I'm with them why enter a blank diary?

I was commenting wtg on buddies diaries without checking them all. To me just logging your food deserves a wtg. If I check someone's diary and they are under 1200, I will check their diary and see if this is normal or just for the day. If consistently below I will speak my mind to them.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I don't think this was passive aggressive at all... just a suggestion she made. A valid one, in my opinion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Yes.. he has a valid point. When someone has a daily goal of 1200 calories, and they do 900 calories worth of exercise to bump them up to 2100 and then they only eat 500 calories for the day? They do NOT need to be told GOOD JOB for behavior that will make them sick and not help them lose weight. -400 calories for the day is the WRONG kind of deficit. And like some on here could be indication of a eating disorder that does not need to encouraged.

It is not your place to decide what eating practices are good or bad for someone. Grossly obese individuals can net below their calorie goals and safely lose weight without health issues. It is not until they approach an overweight BMI that eating calories back becomes necessary. And many people on a VLCD prescribed by their doctors. It is just not your place to wave the ED label around at your friends when you don't know them personally, and have absolutely no idea what their situation is.
  • moniquelessard
    Options

Yes.. he has a valid point. When someone has a daily goal of 1200 calories, and they do 900 calories worth of exercise to bump them up to 2100 and then they only eat 500 calories for the day? They do NOT need to be told GOOD JOB for behavior that will make them sick and not help them lose weight. -400 calories for the day is the WRONG kind of deficit. And like some on here could be indication of a eating disorder that does not need to encouraged.

well none of my mfp friends do that, so I don't encourage people to kill themselves. But thanks for adding that dramatic comment at the end. lol. I'm sure the OP's MFP friends have seen his/her past diary entries, and probably know that he/she is not anorexic. I think the OP should give 'em a break. The intent was good.