Going out to eat

Options
Hi Friends. I am going out to eat tomorrow for dinner. We are going to a authentic Mexican restaurant. I will have about 500 calories for dinner, and I don't know what I should get.

When I usually go out, I pick vegetarian options because of low calories... but with Mexican food, that is not always the case because of the yummy cheeses and sauces. I looked at Hacienda and their bean burrito is in the 900 range.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Skip the chips and salsa, don't have a drink, and eat a 1/2 portion of the burrito...consider asking them to hold the cheese they usually smother it with.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Fajitas.....just the veggies, salsa, maybe guac if you have enough calories and tortilla. I have a mexican place here that actually makes a fajita salad so its blackened chicken with the peppers and onions over lettuce I use salsa for my dressing and no cheese. Have a great time!!!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    beans and rice? I love el ranchos beans and rice, but they put cheese on the beans so you could ask for it without. and put some salsa on for flavor. Yummy!! You are going to want to stay away from anything with beef, its so fatty.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you want full strict mode
    - don't eat ANY chips and salse. none, zero.
    - order something like fajitas but don't eat the tortillas, or go easy on them
    - or, order my usual mexican restaurant goto-meal: grilled chicken, rice and beans (they will offer tortillas. decline them).

also, try to save up a few extra calories throughout the day so you can afford more than 500.

ALTERNATE APPROACH:
    Call it a free day. Order whatever sounds the most appetizing and enjoy!

Both approaches have their procs and cons :)
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I always heard that Arroz con Pollo is a good option. I haven't tried to go to Mexican, the chip basket is too dangerous or me!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I always vet veggie fajitas at mexican restaurants and you can fill them yourself, limiting the amonut of cheese/ refried beans/ etc. Plus there's always extra veggies to take home :smile:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    tortilla soup? lime soup? oh so good and not as full of calories...
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    another alternative: get in a good workout so that you have more than 500 calories and can enjoy yourself without stressing (overly much)!
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's tough. 500 isn't much for Mexican. That is a type of food I have to avoid. Try fajitas and eat the chicken and veggies, but not the tortillas. Avoid the chips.

Have a great dinner!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Chicken taco salad. no shell, hold the beans and sour cream.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I always get steak tacos. They're the really small soft corn tortillas, with a few strips of lean steak and lots of lettuce, tomato and cilantro. I don't even think they put cheese on them if you get "Mexican style". Our place also has an amazing salsa bar so that's where I get a lot of flavor. A few chips for...2 of those things...and I'm good to go! Just avoid the quacamole, sour cream, and cheese. Good Mexican food is often packed with fresh ingredients.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I always heard that Arroz con Pollo is a good option. I haven't tried to go to Mexican, the chip basket is too dangerous or me!

ACP is usually in a cheese sauce, at least when I've had it (which is why I love it... but probably not on the good side).

Anything grilled should be ok, like fajitas or other grilled chicken or fish.

I haven't had mexican since starting here.. all the "good stuff" like the cheese and sour cream and cheese dip scares me. I love it but I know I can't "afford" it anymore.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a free day. To be honest, even if you cut out the fried foods, tortillas, rice, cheese, etc (which sounds kind of bland at this point) you may be stuck with meat that is VERY high is sodium (I've been places where I had a fajita & the sodium in the meat alone is a day & a half's worth... but I'm also very sensitive to salt & could taste it from the beginning).

You could have a taco salad, not eat the shell, & instead of sour cream & salsa use pico de gallo. That seem's like the healthiest choice to me...
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would go with the fajitas too....you can always do a full order of chicken....or ask if they can give you more veggies and a little less meat and then you would have an ok lunch for tomorrow....throw the left over chicken on salad. Skip the sour cream and just go with guac or even see if they can just bring you avacado slices so your not getting the salt and such that they put in their guac. Peco should be ok considering its just tomatos, onions and jals.
  • determinedsocialworker
    Options
    I'm of the mind that if I'm going to go out, I'm going to prepare for it so I can actually enjoy it. But, I'm also super picky and would rather stay home than not eat something enjoyable just because it's a few hundred calories. I agree with what the others were saying--get in a good workout, or allow yourself to go over a few 100 calories and get in a workout on Saturday.... it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound.. if it's a one time thing, you're not going to gain from it.. just eat in moderation..have a great dinner, whatever you decide! :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ask them to make you a chicken salad with lettuce and veggies and grilled chicken. I have found that some restaraunts have a "menu" that isn't on the regular menu and if I ask if I can get something that isn't there they are willing to serve as I like it. Perhaps your place will be that way, too. Good luck...and I don't cut the chips and salsa....I splurge on that and then order grilled chicken and rice and come out fine with calories.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Get soft tacos (or Mexico City tacos)!

These are a great option, especially the authentic ones.

The should be made with corn tortillas that are steamed or toasted.
    Your choice of meat
    beans (optional)
    cilantro and onions
    salsa

The corn tortillas are low in fat, high in fiber.
    Almost any meat choice is ok: try tacos al pastor if you like pork. It is spicy grilled marinated lean pork!

You can add a bit of guacamole or add more salsa. They are typically 200-300 calories each. After eating one with beans, I am typically stuffed.

If you are lucky, the place you are going may have ceviche. This is very tasty and healthy. It is marinated shrimp or fish or other seafood. Marinated in lime juice, with tomatoes, onions, maybe avocado, maybe some other fruit. Some are served with chips, but you don't need them. The fish is cooked by the acidic liquid.

If you get a soft taco and ceviche, you'll have loads of protein and fiber.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I almost always get chicken fajita or shrimp and chicken and give my tortillas away. But the sodium is probably going to be killer. Make sure you drink lots of water while you're eating it and the next day too, to flush the extra out. I can guarantee my ankles will be like water balloons after a Mexican meal. If I think the chips n salsa are going to be a problem, I have been known to make homemade whole wheat chips from 100% whole wheat tortillas, toasted in the oven, and take a ziploc bag of them with me. A friend asks for a spoon and eats his salsa like a cold appetizer soup! :)
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I travel for work 5 days a week and have had to learn to eat healthy in restaurants. I love mexican food! My two low cal favs... shrimp and/or chicken fajitas without the tortillas or pollo adado. Skip the chips and salsa... have water.. you can easily make it under 500. Enjoy!
  • indiesongstress
    indiesongstress Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out to eat, I try to always remember that I can take home what I don't finish. I get tempted to finish my plate a lot at restaurants, but knowing I can easily cut my calories in half by cutting my portion in half is helpful for me :)