I HATE BALSAMIC VINEGAR!

Options
Ok, so I'm trying REALLY hard to stick to a healthy diet and I LOVE salads, but HATE balsamic vinegarettes! HATE HATE HATE! I loooove ranch and I know that's probably the worst because of all the extra fat, but I'm picky about dressings.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Like do you think that making some homemade ranch dressing with skim milk or something would be better? I just really want to be able to eat a yummy salad, otherwise I might have to force myself to eat salads with dressings I hate....HELP!!!! :smile:

Replies

• StephanieGabriele
    StephanieGabriele Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You HATE it? You can send me all of it from your kitchen, haha. I have an addiction to it.
  • Mogo2012
    Options
    haha well, truth be told, I don't own any of it, I've only attempted to eat it a handful of times, so I can't help you out there lol
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I do not like balsalmic vinegar either. There are a ton of low fat, low cal dressings. :heart: Bolthouse Farms has several yogurt-based dressings that are tasty. Another called :heart: Litehouse (sp?). Just peruse the dressing aisle. Lots of great choices. Some of these can also be located in the vegetable department because they are kept cold.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I hate balsamic vinegarettes as well, and caesar is my absolute favorite. Do you hate Italian dressing as well? As long as you measure it out and it's part of your calories, a little bit of ranch won't kill you. What about a low fat or no fat option for ranch if you're into that at all? And then beyond all that-sometimes just some fresh squeezed lemon juice and peppper is good as well.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I hate balsamic vinegar myself. There are many other great options. Some that I personally enjoy:

Raspberry vinaigrette
    Light olive oil dressing
    Fat free French (sweet)
    Some light ranches are okay too

Hell, regular ranch ain't bad if you use it sparingly. Dip instead of pouring it all over the salad. I rarely use more than 1 Tbsp at a time.

Sometimes I even just use hot sauce! Most of my hot sauces are 0-5 calories per serving too.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm trying REALLY hard to stick to a healthy diet and I LOVE salads, but HATE balsamic vinegarettes! HATE HATE HATE! I loooove ranch and I know that's probably the worst because of all the extra fat, but I'm picky about dressings.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Like do you think that making some homemade ranch dressing with skim milk or something would be better? I just really want to be able to eat a yummy salad, otherwise I might have to force myself to eat salads with dressings I hate....HELP!!!! :smile:

I dont know why you are limiting yourself to Balsamic varieties... there are several hundred varieties of vinegar out there.

With the right vinegar, olive oil, an emulsifier from the mustard family, some fresh garlic, herbs and seasonings, and fresh lemon and/or lime juice, you can create your own dressing... it doesnt have to be balsamic...

I make a wonderful Garlic Dill vinaigrette using Champagne vinegar... a grainy dijon mustard goes along with it to mix up a great dressing..

You just have to get creative and open your mind up to other vinegars on the market
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to hate anything with vinegar as well.....that's why I just didn't eat salads much. There are lots of other ways to get veggies in! I like making sandwich wraps stuffed with veggies and a lean meat. or tuna! Also, you should try the tortillas with the "carb-balance" or "carb-cutter" if that's what you are trying to avoid. :) They only have 8g of carbs and are 80 cals if you get the smaller size.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Try fresh citrus juice limes: lemonades and yes I have even squeezed a tangerine. If it is just Balsamic you dislike try other flavors. There are plenty of lite salad dressing on the market.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is good on salad as well.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Yes, so try some other vinegars. So delicious and versatile! You won't like them all but you'll never know if you don't give any others a try.

I dont know why you are limiting yourself to Balsamic varieties... there are several hundred varieties of vinegar out there.

With the right vinegar, olive oil, an emulsifier from the mustard family, some fresh garlic, herbs and seasonings, and fresh lemon and/or lime juice, you can create your own dressing... it doesnt have to be balsamic...

I make a wonderful Garlic Dill vinaigrette using Champagne vinegar... a grainy dijon mustard goes along with it to mix up a great dressing..

You just have to get creative and open your mind up to other vinegars on the market

Yes, try some others!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a light ranch (Marketside?) that is really low in cals. Going Vegan, my 2 biggest dreads were giving up bleu cheese and ranch dressing. I occasionally make myself a vegan ranch dip. For dressings for salads I really love Panera breads dressing I get at Target right now.

With any though, no matter what the kind is, the most important thing is to watch the amount. Measure it out and on the side :)
  • Candida1983
    Options
    Plain old lime juice and a little salt and pepper are really good on a salad. You could also try to mix in different herbs for some extra tasty salad. :smile:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Maple pecan viniagrette (spelling??) so so so good!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,868 Member
    Options
    Hey, I learned to love Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinegar Dressing. But I do love ranch on salads that accompany chicken or mexican food. But you could try this recipe I got off Allrecipes.com for a no-mayonnaise Ranch Dressing. Sorry, I don't have the nutritional info on it, but if you enter it on MFP you can get that. It's gotta be a lot less than bottled Ranch dressing which runs 70-80 cals per Tablespoon.

No-Mayonnaise Ranch Dressing

1 cup low-fat sour cream
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

Place sour cream and buttermilk in a mixing bowl. Add seasonings and whisk together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. 12 servings.
  • aquamarine_lady
    Options
    Trying mixing the ranch with the balsamic vinegrettes, or try mixing barbecue sauce with ranch. Both are good combos.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not all balsamic vinegars are the same.

If you can afford it, try Williams & Sonoma Olivieri 25 year oak barrel aged balsamic. There is nothing like it anywhere. One tbsp will do a big salad for 10 cal. And it's tart but not sour. I would have never guessed anything could be so good.

No lie, it's super pricey... $40 for a litre, but ohhh so worth it.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    My boss buys some sort of ranch dressing from Fred Meyer, like in there natural foods sections or whatever. I think it's like fat free and gluten free or something. She was eating it when she was on the HCG diet. She said it's pretty good. I haven't tried it yet though.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Fat free sour cream is killer on salad, as is cottage cheese.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You HATE it? You can send me all of it from your kitchen, haha. I have an addiction to it.

Right!? I LOVE it!!