Replies

• MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    correction: under 500 cals
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm having a date night with my husband tomorrow - the third one since the baby was born almost a year ago! Anyways, we are going out to eat, and I'm not sure what to do. I would love some suggestions of restaurants/meals that are low-calorie, but I'm also considering it to be a "free day" type thing and just order what I want...But I'm not sure if that will sabotage me or not - I know restaurant meals can sometimes be 1500+ calories. I've already told my hubby no buffets, but I'm still nervous. Suggestions? I'd love to try and eat responsibly tomorrow, but I don't even know what restaurants serve anymore, and I know even the "healthy" foods on the menus are loaded with calories. Restaurants with the nutritional facts on their menus would be awesome!

Eating out is easy..... Stick with lean cuts of grill meat and non saute'd veggies. If you like steak, a 6-9oz sirloin and steamed broccoli is an excellent dinner that's less than 500 calories.
  • ddwillard
    ddwillard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to Applebees for lunch the other day since they have a "Under 550 calories" menu. I had a 7oz steak with shrimp, bruschetta, almonds, and a cheesy sauce with herb potatoes and broccoli. Came home and logged it on here and it was only 500 calories and I was so satisfied, I totally forgot about dinner!
  • amezeez
    amezeez Posts: 26
    Options
    Just from a guy's point of view...if I were married and wanted to take my wife out for a date night, even though I would respect her wishes on the restaurant, I'd probably secretly hope we could put that aside for one evening and just go out and have a good time, enjoy our dinner, and heck, even have dessert...you sound like you are very focused on not sabotaging your diet, so I doubt if enjoying a splurge dinner with your husband will derail you....I say have fun, live and love on your date night out...
  • amezeez
    amezeez Posts: 26
    Options
    I like the way you think...dessert!! Maybe something with peanut butter in it? :-]
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I especially like the guy's point of view...I didn't even think of how my husband might feel if I stress over calories - I think I'll order what I want (which if we go to Friday's is DEFINITELY the French Onion soup, and not because it's low calorie! YUUUUM!) and pace myself and then take the rest home! One of our goals for 2012 is to spend time with just the two of us more often - though a date night certainly won't happen more than once a month, so tomorrow, I'll eat light in the morning, and just have fun. Though I don't think I'll get dessert - at least not at the restaurant. :bigsmile:
  • doctor_mike
    Options
    I like the way you think...dessert!! Maybe something with peanut butter in it? :-]

Have we met?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Though I don't think I'll get dessert - at least not at the restaurant. :bigsmile:

Woohoo! Thinkin' about burning calories already! Great devotion to your plan! :laugh:
  • Virginia90
    Options
    Though I don't think I'll get dessert - at least not at the restaurant. :bigsmile:

Woohoo! Thinkin' about burning calories already! Great devotion to your plan! :laugh:

:laugh:
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    I would recommend ordering what you really want and just asking the waiter to put half in a to go box right away. If you and your hubby like the same desserts, you could split one that sounds good to both of you. If not take half of the dessert home too. This way you get to enjoy the meal (both the first time and the leftovers) but don't end up feeling super guilty later and ruining it.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I especially like the guy's point of view...I didn't even think of how my husband might feel if I stress over calories - I think I'll order what I want (which if we go to Friday's is DEFINITELY the French Onion soup, and not because it's low calorie! YUUUUM!) and pace myself and then take the rest home! One of our goals for 2012 is to spend time with just the two of us more often - though a date night certainly won't happen more than once a month, so tomorrow, I'll eat light in the morning, and just have fun. Though I don't think I'll get dessert - at least not at the restaurant. :bigsmile:

Fridays also has an excellent petite sirloin that is pretty calorie friendly (and yummy!). Just be careful with the sides :)
  • Virginia90
    Options

Fridays also has an excellent petite sirloin that is pretty calorie friendly (and yummy!). Just be careful with the sides :)

I was eyeing that, too! Decisions, decisions!! I can't wait!
  • SouthernCurves
    SouthernCurves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drink water first, make sure what you order is grilled, use little to no sauce, have the veggies steamed if you can and ask if they have wheat dinner rolls. If you can, have them bring your food and a to go container and put half of it away and eat the rest.
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat night is in order for you. But if you really want to stick to your diet you could try Applebee's under 550 calorie meals. Had one of the dinners on that menu on my last date and it was really yummy. Good luck to you.
  • mandirajoy
    mandirajoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how many people on this site are saying to just eat whatever the hell you want!!! When you're trying to lose weight and stay on target there are no "free nights".

I know that I have tried to justify eating badly at a restaurant by just having a "free night" and then I felt guilty afterwards and then one thing leads to another and before you know it I'm eating damned fast food everyday again!

This doesn't mean you can't go out and enjoy yourself, and you definitely don't need to be counting calories (at least until you input the info into your mfp page) but make smart choices about what you're eating and only allow yourself smart portions then take the rest home.
  • giraffells
    giraffells Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also ate at Applebbe's had the Cajun Lime Tilapia ( not a fish eater ) and it was delicious! Comes with some rice and brocolli ....350 calories. That being said, don't go overboard but have a good time and don't worry about one day.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Another consideration is to go for a long walk in the morning or afternoon, that will allow you some extra calories for the day!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If it's only your third date night in a year then don't worry too much about it. Have what you want within reason, watch your portions, and have fun then get back to your regular routine the next day.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you should just have a good time and not worry about it too much. If you're able to access the nutritional information online before going out, do that. If not, it's no big deal. It's only one special night and you should be enjoying yourself, not worrying about the calories in what you're eating. If it makes you feel better, try to eat light during the day, and make healthy choices at the restaurant. I.e., have the lean steak instead of the oversized bowl of fettuccine. Have fun! :)
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    You could try and order fish, or a steak, and have it with veges or a salad. That shouldn't set you back too much. And instead of dessert, go for a skim milk latte.