Anyone out there who...

cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
...makes the time happen to do bulk cooking? Only fresh-made-from-scratch food and pack up the freezer(s)?

Im looking to only hear from the people who cook meals in bulk, or certain food items in bulk for future use... and from home, not the 'make your meals and take them home' ....

I do alot of things ahead of time and break them down into individual meals or for meal planning.

Tonight I just made a fresh batch of marinara

I make bulk meatballs, individual meatloaves, pre-form my burgers, make my own sausage, make my own soup stocks, pre-portion out our proteins and do a portion that is marinated, season-rubbed and left some as-is for making meals on-the-fly...

A good friend who owns an Asian Fusion restaurant was nice enough to sell me their durable plastic take-out containers with lids at a REALLY good price, so everything is portions, stocked, with a label and date...

Its really so helpful to do things this way and is a great way to reinforce cooking at home, portioning things out ahead of time. At this point, Im only shopping for fresh produce, and odds and ends as needed.

The deals out there are INSANELY AWESOME too!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    I do have a healthy mix of home cooking and junk crap premade junk. I do eat at least two thirds homemade I think. My favorite is making soups, chilis, stews, and preportioning those. I just made some fantastic chili spiced chicken and stoplight pepepr soup with avacado relish. SOOOO Good.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It's no biggie - if I cook too much of something, I'll freeze the rest. Tonight was a use up leftovers type meal - and there's leftovers - so that'll be tomorrow's lunch.
  • cramernh
    It's no biggie - if I cook too much of something, I'll freeze the rest. Tonight was a use up leftovers type meal - and there's leftovers - so that'll be tomorrow's lunch.

Absolutely! We do the same thing!!! Thankfully we have very little waste as well!

Last week I had this weird craving for fresh roasted turkey - and they still had a great .59/lb sale, so I bought three birds (yup... you read that right!)...THREE 25# birds!!!!

I roasted two of the birds while the third went to the freezer.... Ive got a gorgeous supply of turkey bones/carcass for making soup stock already in the freezer.... four HONKIN HUGE turkey breasts, kept whole, three are in the freezer while the fourth is in the fridge. The remainder of the meat has been broken up and frozen in 16oz portions.... nice balance of white and dark meat together in each bag.

Tonight I made up a nice batch of homemade marinara... will reserve some of that for tomorrow to make a Garden Vegetable soup with Turkey and Ill add some of the spaghetti squash that I also have left over for a great bulked up homemade soup!
  • katepan
    katepan Posts: 10
    Yup, totally! Let me tell you that we have 2 doubledoor refridgerators and one huge deep freezer. We make a lot of our meals in bulk ahead of time and put them in jars (soups, stews and "soupy" dishes). We make our own sausage from scratch (usually around 60lbs at a time) and use the vacuum pack to pack them and store. We also make from scatch chicken breakfast patties.
  • cramernh
    Yup, totally! Let me tell you that we have 2 doubledoor refridgerators and one huge deep freezer. We make a lot of our meals in bulk ahead of time and put them in jars (soups, stews and "soupy" dishes). We make our own sausage from scratch (usually around 60lbs at a time) and use the vacuum pack to pack them and store. We also make from scatch chicken breakfast patties.

I love the versatility that fresh-homemade foods brings... you can do so much! Virtually no waste, grab only what you need.

We eat about 99% clean here. The other 1% would be whatever my husband brings home to eat on his own.... Thats perfeclty fine, I dont eat junk, processed foods and refuse to - they make me very sick... fresh food rules!
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    There are certain things I always make in large batches and freeze for later, like stocks, soups, chilis, etc. I used to do that with cookie dough but stopped when I started watching my calories. Plan on eventually tweaking some healthy cookie recipes and starting back up (if you freeze cookie dough portioned out on baking sheets, basically oven ready, you can put them in ziplock bags and then bake off just as many as you want at a time!)

I make all my stocks from scratch with all my leftover kitchen scraps - I just keep a big ziplock bag in the freezer and put everything appropriate in it after chopping everything for dinner, another bag for chicken carcasses, and make stock whenever the bags get full. Usually get at least 4 quarts, keep one out and freeze the rest in ice cube trays/bags - tend to run out right around the time the scrap bags get full! Works well.

If food comes in my house, it gets used. All of it. Once we move out of the big city I'll start composting the little bit I do throw out. And I can't wait to have a larger freezer! I buy local antibiotic free meat whenever there's a good sale and freeze as much as I can, but I'm really limited by the space I have. I also chop up fresh in season veggies when I buy too much from the farmer's market and freeze that. For fresh herbs that I grow at home I chop them up small and freeze them in ice cube trays.

When I freeze soup/chili/etc I freeze it in 2 person portions, even if I'm the only one eating it I can use the rest for lunch the next day. Same for when I freeze meat.

We don't eat 100% home cooked, but we eat a lot that way. We go through phases when I'll cook a LOT and then eat off the bounty for a while, then there will be periods where I don't feel like cooking and we eat a lot of crap. I really think with more freezer space this would never happen as I would be able to stock up more when I feel industrious.
  • cramernh
    We don't eat 100% home cooked, but we eat a lot that way. .

Well, you can always come enjoy dinner here, we only eat meals made from scratch.. While my husband will treat himself to cookies and cakes from the local bakery - and Ill bake it for him... I never eat junk food, nor processed meals - in fact I cant thanks to food allergies and sensitivities... healthier foods made from scratch is definitely the way to go so I dont get sick.. and Im so thankful I have a husband is such a good sport in being supportive and dedicated... thank goodness he loves trying new things.. THAT is a big help, and a sanity check for me being a chef! LOL
  • katepan
    katepan Posts: 10

I love the versatility that fresh-homemade foods brings... you can do so much! Virtually no waste, grab only what you need.

We eat about 99% clean here. The other 1% would be whatever my husband brings home to eat on his own.... Thats perfeclty fine, I dont eat junk, processed foods and refuse to - they make me very sick... fresh food rules!
    Ditto!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    I make 3 gallons of spaghetti sauce at a time. Lasts my boyfriend and I about two weeks.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    In my house, we make ahead so that we don't rely on sodium & calorie laden convenience foods when life gets hectic during the week. One of our favorite things to do is boil & shred chicken breasts so that it's available to us all week long. It's wonderful to be able to weigh out a serving & have chicken & noodles, shepherd's pie, chicken salad, low cal burritos & so on in practically no time through the week. Another thing I do is make ahead breakfasts. I prefer to give the kids a warm, homemade breakfast each morning but I work early & there just isn't the time to bake daily. Breads, biscuits, muffins (usually dairy free, low fat, low cal so that I have no guilt about eating along with them) are all portioned out & frozen. Egg white biscuit sandwiches or breakfast burritos are usually only made a few days in advance & refrigerated.

It's important to me that we eat as a family, no my foods/his foods/their foods so everything has been adapted to my restrictions but is full of flavor & kid friendly. Based on my own childhood of convenience foods, I know that as adults we fall back on what we're used to. I want healthy, home-cooked, delicious foods to be their normal.
  • girlnamedlee
    Oh, and I'm very excited about the organic heirloom (raised) garden beds I'll be starting this spring. Knowing exactly where my food comes from, eating fresh & canning/freezing what we aren't able to use immediately makes me super happy. I know, I'm a geek. ;)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Ok, here's my thing: I would LOVE to do bulk cooking, but I don't have a microwave. So by the time I get the food out of the freezer, thaw it out, and cook it in the oven or whatever, I might as well have just cooked it that night instead of ahead of time.

Any ideas for me?
  • girlnamedlee
    Boil-in-bag meals. One dish meals work best. I also pull things out of the freezer & into the fridge the night (or morning) before so that the thawing is done by the time I get home.
  • ajbeans
    Boil-in-bag meals. One dish meals work best. I also pull things out of the freezer & into the fridge the night (or morning) before so that the thawing is done by the time I get home.

What works with boil-in-bag? I assume soups and sauces, but would there be anything else?
  • ajbeans
    And not to sound stupid, but I'm afraid I'd melt the bag if I boiled stuff in it. :( Do I need to buy a certain kind of freezer bags, or will they all be fine without melting?
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Yes I do my own gardening, canning, freezing and bulk planning for the year.
  • girlnamedlee
    I haven't done it myself but a friend of mine swears by it. I googled & this site has a list of different types of bags you can use. http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101
  • ajbeans
    I haven't done it myself but a friend of mine swears by it. I googled & this site has a list of different types of bags you can use. http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101

You rock. :glasses: Thanks!
  • cramernh
    You have no idea how awesome it is to see real people wanting real foods.... even more so that Im not alone with the preplanning ahead, the bulk cooking, etc...

Canning!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHH I love me a fresh batch of garlic-dill pickles, fresh kimchi and pickled hard boiled eggs!!!!!! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and the salsa.... Gotta have salsa!!!!!!!!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    I make big batches of meatballs or pasties for the freezer. When I make chicken stock, at least half of it ends up in the freezer, too, although we do go through it pretty quickly in the winter. Same for dinner rolls. I've thought about making biscuits for the freezer to cook as the family wants them, but I think they would inhale them as soon as I made them! When I make ham or country pork ribs, we end up with lots of food in freezer bags that ends up as fried rice or other things. I had a friend blanch and freeze a huge box of tomatoes for me this summer after I broke my arm. I like to cook, so the freezer is my best friend!