Too overweight for the gym?

Options
I know it sounds funny but in my past I used to worry so much about what people thought of me that I avoided going to the gym. I felt like I didn't belong and I hated the macho gym atmosphere. I still sometimes get nervous that people are watching me and criticizing me. I wonder if I'm even using the equipment right and if others notice.

In my apartment complex there is a very fit lady who does personal training for a living. She has her business advertised on her car and I see her with "clients" in my apartment gym all the time. I find myself avoiding my gym because for whatever reason I feel like she might be thinking, "this girl has been coming here for months and her body hasn't changed". I feel like she could be behind me just dying to correct me or tell me how to do something.

Before I would go to the gym very infrequently but since finding MFP my life has/is changing. With all the diets, pills, fitness classes, equipment, gimmicks, etc. out there I feel like really no one has the ONLY way to get healthy and lose weight. There are so many ways to be successful if you have the right education. So I guess I feel that since I have the right tools now, I would be really upset if someone tried to tell me my was "wrong".

Anyone else felt this way before or feels this way now? How'd you move past it?

Replies

• Aranda7892
    Aranda7892 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am getting a gym membership soon, I suffer from anxiety and I feel the exact same way. I'm really scared to go to the gym but I'm going to push myself and not worry about what others are thinking because I am only there for one reason and that is to lose weight and be healthy :)
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I started, I was overweight and I thought people were looking at me. But honestly, everyone's just minding their own business. Sometimes, if you're doing it wrong, someone will point it out to you and help you. Most people at the gym aren't ****s and are helpful because they all started at some point.
  • bcressy
    bcressy Posts: 19
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety but have been pushing myself into situations like the gym to try and overcome my fears, i make myself go to the gym as much as possible and now it feels like a safe place for me. a good thing i found was to have Personal training sessions at the gym so i know i am doing things right and feel quite at home there now ! :smile:
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    truth: most people at the gym are so focused on their goals, music, the tv, number of calories being burned, or how much their muscle is or isnt bulging that they are not judging everyone is there because they are in the same boat...trying to improve themselves so dont worry so much go out and be the best you can be and even if you dont see a change in your body you are being more active and making healthy choices which is always a good thing

ps if you have questions about machines etc the gym staff is always willing to help you get the most out of your workout :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym while I was still 500+ pounds.:noway: I don't give a damn what others think of me!:angry: I'm there to fix me & have no time to concern myself with what others may think. Good luck in your gym workouts!:drinker:
  • ipinchuk
    Options
    What you are feeling is nothing to be ashamed of -- it's natural to feel as if everyone is staring at you, but as other have said, most are preoccupied with themselves. Also, think of it this way: everyone has to start somewhere. It's amazing how many "skinny" people started off in your very same position, afraid of the gym.

But most gyms are nothing to be afraid of. If anything, most people will encourage you for taking a positive step in your life because, at the end of the day, that's why we all go to the gym -- to improve ourselves and our health. Like nnyish said, most gym goers will be more than happy to lend a hand if you are doing something drastically wrong, so go nuts! Strike up a conversation with a personal trainer or some members and you'll realize how harmless people at the gym are :)
  • JammyJae
    JammyJae Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok... I had the same problem I had to lose 10lbs before I went but NOW I know that was silly. I love the gym and when I see other people their no matter how over weight I think good for them!!! Every time you step in the gym don't think about what other people are thinking, be proud that you are walking through those doors because nomatter what you are lapping everyone on the couch!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like I had to get in shape to go to the gym. I'm completely over that, I love going to the gym, and if people watch me who cares what they think? I'm doing this for me, and I'm doing what works for my body.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Im the biggest person at my gym everytime I go and I still get numbers!!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about everyone just do it :smile:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i dont mind going to the gym for cardio stuff, but im nervous about doing weight lifting stuff there. i have a bench in my garage that ive been using for a couple weeks, but for some reason i cant bring myself to do the same exercises at the gym where people might be watching >.> its a small gym, and its kinda hard not to at least notice other people ;/
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i feel self-conscious but then I have to remind myself that if anything people will respect that you are there doing something. Most times I just don't give a damn what people think. Some of the gym gorillas at my gym are too busy admiring themselves in the mirrors to notice anyone else. I actually saw one guy take a photo of his abs in the mirror. I just 'bout fell off my bike laughing. But hey, maybe if I had his abs I'd take a picture too.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even if you're right and people are looking, I'd much rather people look at me at the gym and think "She's got a looonnnggg way to go" than look at me at KFC and think "She's stiiilllll eating!"

:tongue:
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    When I first started going to a gym years ago I had the exact same thoughts like people were judging me thinking "wow he obviously doesn't know what hes doing he should leave" even now to this day I have some insecurities even though ive been going to the same gym for about 7 years now,

I do the P90X workouts at the gym and quite a few of the exercises are very unconventional and may look kind of stupid/weird to someone who doesn't do the program but every time I step into the gym I think to myself screw all these people I'm here to work hard, kick my *kitten* and improve myself, honestly who cares about what they think because in the end I'll be better than them because im not afraid to work hard and do what needs to be done (whether the exercises are weird or not) to reach my goals.
  • ButtercupIII
    Options
    Even if you're right and people are looking, I'd much rather people look at me at the gym and think "She's got a looonnnggg way to go" than look at me at KFC and think "She's stiiilllll eating!"

:tongue:

So true! I would rather go to the gym and look like a gumby any day over going out in public eating a huge fatty meal...

I feel good going to the gym.. I sometimes think I am actually doing the fitties a favour by reminding them why they are there :laugh:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have really big social anxiety/getting past it.... I was scared at first, but now it is like my home.

There is this guy there who must be close to 400pounds on the treadmill and some 70 year old who does weights every day. They amaze me.

Look out for things like that, try to beat times, anything to keep your mind off it ;)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym while I was still 500+ pounds.:noway: I don't give a damn what others think of me!:angry: I'm there to fix me & have no time to concern myself with what others may think. Good luck in your gym workouts!:drinker:

^
    this. me being almost 500 lbs. I'll admit I had a little anxiety at first. funny story, I normally wear contacts and one day when I was first starting out, I was in a rush and didn't wash my hands very well so when I arrived at the gym my eyes burned. I was blind pretty much for the entire workout. I couldn't make out people very well and that helped me get over my anxiety real fast.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel is right for you. Don't worry about what others think - as some have said, most people in the gym are off in their own little world and kudos to you for making the effort to go.

I was 375lbs the first time I went to a gym, referred by my doctor's obesity programme. It's still not my favourite place as I hate being set to a specific time or target, but I'm now at 291lbs. As long as you're toning and burning off calories, and you have been instructed how to use the equipment safely it doesn't matter what size you are or how long you use each piece - you're there for the same reason as everyone else.

I also swim regularly - I've learnt to ignore the glares and unkind comments, and I learnt to glare back!!! I'm never going to have an hourglass figure, but I will be a healthier and fitter person.

Good luck, you go and enjoy your gym workouts.
  • Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    We have a personal trainer at our gym that lets his male clients gym without a shirt to face their fears and motivate them to push harder. I have to say some of them look real buff now hehe
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I hate when i hear this kind of thought, we all had to start somewhere, everyones welcome in my gym. But my gym also has a seperate womens gym and a ladies night in the pool. As a poster above said, im more focused on my next set. Im not really paying attention to anyone else in the gym