No exercise, Just sticking to cals?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chellethulu
    Options
    I believe it's possible, yes. I went to visit my fiance and stayed for three weeks. I ate pretty healthy and lost five pounds.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its easier to stay on track if you just focus on the calories. Exercising just allows you to eat more so makes it easier in that way, if I don't exercise I can only eat 1200 calories a day. But I do find it easier not to exercise and just to concentrate on eating right if I am busy.
    Its a lot , to exercise and diet and run a family like you do. It can really wear you out. weight loss is 80% nutrition anyway so its definitely more important to concentrate on diet.
    personally I put exercise ahead of house cleaning etc so if i'm exercising my house may be a mess but I am much happier. But you will find something has to give if you try to do it all! (i work full time as well!)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    For me... It doesn't come off the same with exercise. 20 mins Zumba is a fab one! 45 if you get chance. Killer calorie burn and fun. You can get it on dvd or games consoles. Really changes the body shape too x
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea. Just a few things here and there can really add up, especially for toning your muscles.

You can find ways to make every movement you make a little bit harder than it has to be to make it into a strength exercise instead. For example, as you lie back in bed at the end of the day, keep your back straight and try to lie back as slowly as possible, using your stomach muscles to resist gravity.

Do squats when you have to pick something up from the floor and walking lunges when you need to move from room to room (or skip, or hop or dance!!!!) Randomly grab your kids and dance with them! If they're little, they can act as weights!

It's harder to add cardiovascular (calorie burning) exercises into a tight schedule, but the muscle toning will help your overall health. I hope you can add in the midday run you were hoping for. Good luck!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For me... It doesn't come off the same with exercise. 20 mins Zumba is a fab one! 45 if you get chance. Killer calorie burn and fun. You can get it on dvd or games consoles. Really changes the body shape too x

I second Zumba. Everyone has 20 mins to spare (I've got two kids too and one is home with me full-time, partner gone 14 hours a day) and every evening I close the door to the living room and it's 'my time'.

Plus, 20 mins of Zumba on the Wii gives me 180 extra calories to eat every day :)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea. Just a few things here and there can really add up, especially for toning your muscles.

You can find ways to make every movement you make a little bit harder than it has to be to make it into a strength exercise instead. For example, as you lie back in bed at the end of the day, keep your back straight and try to lie back as slowly as possible, using your stomach muscles to resist gravity.

Do squats when you have to pick something up from the floor and walking lunges when you need to move from room to room (or skip, or hop or dance!!!!) Randomly grab your kids and dance with them! If they're little, they can act as weights!

It's harder to add cardiovascular (calorie burning) exercises into a tight schedule, but the muscle toning will help your overall health. I hope you can add in the midday run you were hoping for. Good luck!

Yep, I call it "Dancing around the house like an idiot while cleaning"! I also do "The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout" on the Xbox 360 w/Kinect. Yesterday I burned 131.3 calories yesterday in 22 minutes!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You should lose as long as you are creating some sort of deficit. In that sense, exercise would allow you to eat more but if you can create one without it you will still lose weight. It is entirely possible to lose a lot of weight without exercising. Exercise gives you a lean, fit body, eating well drops the pounds.