What kind of birth control should i choose?

Options
I am calling all the women who is using birth control, i can't decide which one to use. I heard that any kind of pills affect your weight, and besides they can cause the stroke. Anyone has any ideas or information?

Does anyone think that IUD is the best method?

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I am calling all the women who is using birth control, i can't decide which one to use. I heard that any kind of pills affect your weight, and besides they can cause the stroke. Anyone has any ideas or information?

abstinence, take all that sexual energy and hit the gym..imagine the workout!! :laugh: :tongue: ..just kidding.
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I swear by Yasmin, not Yaz, Yasmin...it is low hormone and has minimal side affects. That's my two cents!
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options

abstinence, take all that sexual energy and hit the gym..imagine the workout!! :laugh: :tongue: ..just kidding.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I adore mine... Levora (aka Levlen)
    it is a monophasic, meaning it has the same dose of hormone all month long.
    benefits:
    1. less mood swing/PMS symptoms
    2. less acne
    3. ability to decide to skip a period...just start taking a new pill pack on the day the "active" pills run out of the first pack. (heard of pills like seasonale? that's how they work)

tri-phasic (three levels of hormone) can't offer these benefits to the same degree, and cannot be used to skip your period
  • bagaydina
    bagaydina Posts: 46
    Options
    do u think that birth control can cause any side effects such as stroke or aneurysm? I had a friend who had brain aneurysm she was using Nuva ring, i don't know if it's somehow related
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I use Mirena (the IUD). :heart: IT!!! It's good for 5 years and don't have the weight gain or mood swings when I was on Tri-Sprintec. Since I am going to be in Pharmacy School the entire time... It worked for me. Tri-Cyclen Low is a great one to keep you feeling "normal". Oh FYI...generics are not all they are cracked up to be (read not REALLY the same as the name brand....but close enough). When it comes to birth control, just go for the good ones. Better quality less side effecfts! The Ring has a lot of side effects so does the patch...
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I use Mirena (the IUD). :heart: IT!!! It's good for 5 years and don't have the weight gain or mood swings when I was on Tri-Sprintec. Since I am going to be in Pharmacy School the entire time... It worked for me. Tri-Cyclen Low is a great one to keep you feeling "normal". Oh FYI...generics are not all they are cracked up to be (read not REALLY the same as the name brand....but close enough). When it comes to birth control, just go for the good ones. Better quality less side effecfts! The Ring has a lot of side effects so does the patch...

funny you mentioned the patch, one of my clients and good friends was using the patch, she suffered a blood clot that killed her...be wary!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    all hormones regardless of method of delivery (pill, patch, ring) carry a risk of stroke or blood clot. this risk is WAAAY higher if you smoke as well.

I take a baby aspirin every day to "counter" this. not because I have to, but just in case....
  • twinsmama08
    Options
    I have a really hard time with hormonal bc so we use VCF (vaginal contraceptive film). I think it's awesome! You can get it at walmart or probably any pharmacy.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used Depo Provera for 2 years (the shot) and then had switched to Seasonique, where you take pills for 3 months and then take a week off. Both were my choice becasue they keep you from menstruating.

BUT......

Right after I stopped using b/c, I got a serious DVT blood clot that nearly killed me! I also (although this is less significant than near death) gained 40 pounds while on Depo. This affect is rare, but it happens. I'm off b/c for good!
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    How about the kind with a period every 3 months?
    :love:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    How about the kind with a period every 3 months?
    :love:

that's seasonale/seasonique

you can do the same thing with any mono-phasic pill. just ask your doc for a pill with one same level of hormone all month long (one name brand is levlen, aka levora for generic). then when you get to the "inactive" (last week) of pills, toss 'em, and start a new pack. you may have a bit of spotting, but not like a regular period.
  • jdl249
    jdl249 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm on the Depo Provera shot. I haven't gained weight with it, and my periods are lighter and NO CRAMPS!!!! :love:
  • cdh1234
    cdh1234 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have treid 3 kinds myself.

The patch does NOT stay stuck.

The pill made me hormonal and a bit nuts !

I have been on the Depo shot for about 5 years and have not had any troubles with it, and you only have to worry about birth control every 3 months instead of every day.
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm on the IUD and It's starting to work well for me...
    spotting for the first few months, but my skin has cleared up dramatically, fewer mood swings.
    A bit rough at first, but I like it now!
    Keep asking questions and talking to your doctor!
    Good luck!
  • jess42
    jess42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All of these have good feedback, now here's my two cents--

I tried several kinds of hormonal birth control-- tri-phase, monophase, progesterone only, and the ring, and had similar results with all of them--crazy mood swings and depression.

While there's anecdotal evidence all over the place and some research, doctors do not tend to take the complaint of mood effects seriously. I was told several times to "just stick with it and wait it out" after 6 months or a year. My doctors also suggested anti-depressants, claiming that the bc couldn't possibly be causing the problem and that I must have a genetic tendency towards depression that needed to be treated with yet more meds (also a disaster--yeesh). When I'd been off the meds for a year, I went into therapy and my counselor was surprised that I'd ever been diagnosed with depression or medicated.

This doesn't by any means happen to everyone, but for every 3 women I know who do really well on bc, 1 has had the same experience as me. It's more common than suggested by doctors.

SO, talk to your doc, find something that you think will work, give it a fair shot (yes, it does take a while to get used to)... but remember that you know your body and your mind. If you're experiencing crazy weight gain or mood swings, GET OFF IT! You're putting extra hormones in your body and messing with its natural balance. Your body may cope just fine with that... or not.

And condoms work just fine, and if you work with your partner to find the right brand and size and activity to go along with them, the sex is just as good imho=)

Good luck!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I won't use hormone-based birth control anymore. It give me yeast infections and makes me gain weight. I had an IUD in between pregnancies, and I had very heavy periods with it, with lots of cramping. I highly recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." If you're regular, it's pretty easy to figure out when you're fertile (i.e. ovulating), and you really only need to use bc during that short phase of each month, during which time condoms can be just fine. Good luck!
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have mirena and hate it. As soon as i have health insurance again it is gone. It has caused me problems from the beginning. I bleed for almost 7 months straight and had horrible cramping the entire time (which has not stopped). I get yeast infections constantly and I'm pretty sure I have been getting ovarian cysts (happened on the pill). For me though it seems anything with hormones does this to me. I just seem to have bad luck i guess.
    If it doesn't cause you these problems it would be great though. It is supposed to lighten periods and is good for 5 years. But for some people it causes big problems.
  • JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    I use a cervical cap called a femcap. Its really easy to use, none hormonal, and doesn't bug my hubby too much. I don't use the hormones do to having 2 hormone related breast tumors already, one that was huge. I have had surgery on both breasts and am only 27. Anyways when I did use them I was a wee bit like a raving lunatic. LOL

Good Luck on your choice!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I just use ortho tri cyclen lo

I can tell that TOM is a little bit lighter...lol I like to know when it will come instead of SURPRISE!