Is eating a lot of protein a bad thing?

Options
When reviewing my daily food journal, I've noticed that my protein intake is usually above what the MFP system has stated. Is eating a lot of protein a bad thing?

Replies

• juliecatherine1
    Options
    It can be. If you go way over, you could gain weight (from extra calories), dehydration, and digestive problems. But that probably won't happen in the short term, and only if you go WAY over the recommended. It's also possible that you could get heart or kidney disease in the long term, but that hasn't been proven, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the protein is coming from mostly healthy sources, and that you're getting enough water and exercise.

Also, most sites I've checked have different opinions on how much protein you should really eat per day. Most say between .4 and .6 times your body weight is how many grams to shoot for, but it probably varies from person to person.

Hope I helped!

Julie
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm on the all protein diet!!! Haven't crapped for weeks!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    When reviewing my daily food journal, I've noticed that my protein intake is usually above what the MFP system has stated. Is eating a lot of protein a bad thing?

Hi
    I was just asking the same thing - I usually have lean chicken or small can of flavoured tuna for lunch (plus sald etc) and for dinner have beans / meat / cheese etc - so protein twice a day, very little milk as I am now drinking my coffe black no sugar, but seem to consistenly go over my protein as well.

Guess I could drop the tuna at lunch but then I might get hungry??

How do you think your protein goes over - what do you eat?
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    No it's not bad for you, only if you eat alot of red meat.

MFP's protein goal is really low.

Just make sure to drink water, and have some fiber so it digests better.

Protein will help you build muscle mass.

Crewsicka- if your being serious....That's really not good. Lay off the red meat...I mean look how Elvis and John Wayne died.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    It can be. If you go way over, you could gain weight (from extra calories), dehydration, and digestive problems. But that probably won't happen in the short term, and only if you go WAY over the recommended. It's also possible that you could get heart or kidney disease in the long term, but that hasn't been proven, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the protein is coming from mostly healthy sources, and that you're getting enough water and exercise.

Also, most sites I've checked have different opinions on how much protein you should really eat per day. Most say between .4 and .6 times your body weight is how many grams to shoot for, but it probably varies from person to person.

Hope I helped!

Julie

It is good to have 0.5-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. It helps to keep you full and keep muscle mass rather than losing it. As long as you're not declining your fresh fruit and veg you should be fine. Extra calories is the only thing which could made you gain, protein by itself slips straight through the digestive system.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    MFP sets "calories from protein" really low. I upped mine to 30% (carbs 40%, fat 30%) and it's been a lot more on par with what feels healthy. It's not that too much protein is bad (unless it's coming from foods that also have a lot of sodium or saturated fat); if you're working out regularly it's actually a good idea to have a higher protein intake. Don't be afraid to adjust the MFP settings if they simply don't suit you, as long as they're still healthy goals.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Adjust your goal settings to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat and see if you are still over on protein?
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that protein keeps you feeling full for longer. Carbs are slow burners and therefore provide energy for longer, but protein takes longer to digest and psychologically makes you think you don't need food. Like all things though, balance is the key. Protein in the form of lean meats and fish won't hurt you. Go easy on the high fat containing protein products though like some red meats, cheese and eggs unless you are following a specific diet which specifically encourages these things and limits others (i.e. low carb diets - I personally don't like these but that's my opinion and I know others rave about them).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Some of MFP targets are limits to come in below (calories, sodium carbs etc.) and others are best viewed as targets (protein, vitamins, fibre, water etc.)

MFP's default protein limit is very low, and many MFPers find it helpful to change the settings to 40/30/30% carbs/fat/protein. A bit more protein will help prevent muscle loss and stave off hunger.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

Yes it can be, as with anything in life you can have too much of a good thing.

Too much protein can be hard on your kidneys. My brother was born with only one kidney and he was told to be careful. Normal foods are fine, he just has to avoid protein shakes or the Atkins diet. Too much protein can also cause gout.

You should google it, there's many websites that explain why too much protein is dangerous.
    http://natural-health-and-fitness.com/dangers-of-too-much-protein/
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/the-dangers-of-a-high-protein-diet/the-problems-with-protein.html

remember you only have one body, it's far easier and cheaper to take care of it the first time then to take risks and suffer for that risky behavior later
  • wachmonster
    wachmonster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Protein is the best category to go over on. With even moderate exertion on your muscles during a work out each day your cells start to crave extra protein to repair. I wouldn't worry much unless it is a chronic long term abundance coupled with inactivity. Otherwise protein up, it is also filling and generally leaner than other calories. I use high protein meals and shakes to suppress my appetite quite often.
  • sunflower01
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your great input and feedback, it's been very helpful and reasurring. My daily protein intake usually comes from Greek yogurt, chicken, or fish. The chicken and fish are not from pre-packeaged foods, but from meals I prepare myself, so the sodium intake is quite low. I've been trying to have fresh salads for as a side with my dinner at least every other day.

I'll do what a few of you have suggested and modify my protein setting on my profile.

Again, hugs everyone, thank you for the responses! :happy: