Too overweight for the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• coxy2008
    coxy2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If i see anyone new at the gym i just think good on them for making the effort.
  • AelaTheHuntress
    Options
    It is hard enough for me to get motivated to work out, so no gym for me. I would rather walk outside in any weather than go to a place with so many mirrors and florescent lights! Along with that I also have severe social anxiety, which is obvioulsy compounded by the weight issue. Yeah, I wouldn't say anyone is too overweight for the gym, but it is not for everyone. Going to the gym is not mandatory, so if you aren't comfortable for whatever reason don't let that stop you.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    i don't get intimidated at the macho guys but I feel uncomfortable around ladies in my gym. One area that I hated so much is the ladies locker room where all ladies are there. Probably because I prefer working out like a guy than doing girly things like zumba classes or yoga & also I hate girly stuff. Also many of them are so talkative that it annoys me. But other than that, I don't care if I get weird looks from guys whenever I'm in the free weights area lifting big weights.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to the gym because half the people are there to put on a show. I am happy to be home and do my beachbody dvd's by myself without worrying about some guy trying to show off how he can bench 1,000 lbs or watch some gal be on the elliptical for 3 hours. I think I spent 250 or so on all of the dvd's I bought and will have them forever.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I have never felt too overweight/self conscious doing the cardio machines and weights at the gym, but classes are a different story. I took a class once and couldnt ignore that I was the biggest person in the room. The instructor was very encouraging but at the same time it *felt* like she singled me out, even though it was all positive, I did not like and was not used to having the attention on me, or at least FEELING like all the attention was on me.

Also, PRETEND AND ACT LIKE YOU ARE A PRO WITH WEIGHTS! You won't be getting weird looks anymore. Of course if you actually don't know how to use weight machines or what to do with free weights, do a session with a trainer to learn first so you don't injure yourself

My other advice is, don't psyche yourself out, and stay strong in your reason for being there: To get healthy and work on your body. I am currently doing at-home workouts now but would really like to try classes again in the future, but I don't think I could handle not being able to keep up with all the hardbodies.
  • danikat11
    Options
    ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!! That is why I love my gym. In a senior park, no one really there to tell me how to use it. What I do hate is the feeling I get having a "senior citizen" come in and start going harder. Faster speed, bigger inclines. ugh i feel so low and outta shape. Though I am out of shape. I begin to think of the show " Are you fitter than a senior citizen?"

I guess you just learn and grow as you go. Although I do hate when people watch me work out. In order to even do my Dvd's i need to be alone.
  • FidalgoGirl
    FidalgoGirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, the gym I'm a member at is in a small community and everyone is very supportive of one another. There is a larger gym that owns my gym that I belong to that is 15 minutes away, they have a women's gym section that is completely seperate from the men. That is very comfortable to work in! I would call around if you have options and tell the management teams of your concerns.

Good luck, FidalgoGirl
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to the gym until I got under 100kgs... Even then I would be on a machine working away and get a glimpse of myself in the mirror and the old gut would be hanging out over my shorts, or the shorts had crept places you don't want shorts. Now I wish I had gone sooner. When I see others having their first day, I am happy they are there, at least they are off their bum and having a crack. If we were all perfect with no flaws, the gym would be empty. Gyms are full of people wanting to improve their physique. Just go.