Wine bumps my weight up

Options
Rae9911
Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
I was wondering if anyone knew the answer as I don't lol.

Over the Christmas and New Year I had two glasses of red wine on those days and I put on 4lb in weight. Its now taken me 2 weeks to lose the weight but I was wondering why if I have a glass of wine or two and I mean no more than 2 as it goes straight to my head, I automatically put on 2lb even if I am under my calories intake for the day?:grumble:

Replies

• tagben
    tagben Posts: 72
    Options
    Thats very weird! You are sure its just the wine?! how was your sodium intake?! your sugar intake?! The only explanation I find, is the combination of alcohol/sugar/sodium helps dehydrate you and your body retains water! So im guessing its just water weight!

It's maybe taking you so long to lose because you haven't been flushing it properly ( lowering ur sodium and drinking tons of water)!

I suggest you start by doing that, drink more water, get more potassium and watch your sodium it should do the trick!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have exactly 4 ounces of red wine most nights and am eating within my calorie goals, and I'm losing weight.

I do find that eating a pickle will make me gain weight for about 1 to 2 days. I think it's all water weight.

Are you somehow allergic to wine?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew the answer as I don't lol.

Over the Christmas and New Year I had two glasses of red wine on those days and I put on 4lb in weight. Its now taken me 2 weeks to lose the weight but I was wondering why if I have a glass of wine or two and I mean no more than 2 as it goes straight to my head, I automatically put on 2lb even if I am under my calories intake for the day?:grumble:
    Wine does not do that if taken in moderation. In fact, it's healthy - rich in antioxidants that reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.
    And digesting booze triggers your body to torch calories.

Anyway, what might be some other causes?
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great! I have a bottle of red I need to finish! :o)
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thats very weird! You are sure its just the wine?! how was your sodium intake?! your sugar intake?! The only explanation I find, is the combination of alcohol/sugar/sodium helps dehydrate you and your body retains water! So im guessing its just water weight!

It's maybe taking you so long to lose because you haven't been flushing it properly ( lowering ur sodium and drinking tons of water)!

I suggest you start by doing that, drink more water, get more potassium and watch your sodium it should do the trick!

I drink about 2-2.5 ltrs of water a day and watch my sodium I could not possibly drink any more water as I find it hard drinking what I am.

I think it may be best to just stay away from alcohol, because if I don't drink I lose weight if I have wine I gain, perhaps I am just not meant to drink lol.
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    I have the same problem. I cannot drink alcohol and lose weight. In fact, if I didn't drink at all I'd be thin right now!

Last summer, I started exercising aggressively (6 days a week, 60 moins cardio and 20 mins lifting). I lost 2 pounds in 5 weeks. I stopped drinking (which I had been doing about 3 days a week) and I dropped 3 pounds a week.

Alcohol slows my metabolism. After analyzing the intake and activities, I know it wasn't just the calories for me. After the initial alcohol burn, it seems my metabolism takes a nap.

Unfortunately, I do love my wine. Now I'm having only 1 glass a week. :(
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! UGH!
  • lischultz
    lischultz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I am serious about weight loss I need to cut out the alcohol. It isn't necessarily the extra calories from the beer and wine that do me in. It is the lack of awareness about what I am eating. After a drink I don't realize that I am eating the nachos my friends just ordered or I don't notice the potato chips I am mindlessly eating. Being sober keeps me alert about the food traps that surround me. Since Xmas and New Years are full of munchies, maybe that was as much an issue as the wine.