Best Breakfast Cereals

Options

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm feelin' cold cereal: Fiber One Raisin Bran Clusters with skim milk

On days when I'm feelin' hot cereal: Nature's Path Organic Hot Oatmeal (usually Flax Plus flavour, with warmed blueberries thrown in)

And I'd be lyin' if I said I never ate either of these for a quick dinner on a busy night... :embarassed:
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I stay away from cold cereal simply because they're all pretty high in calories and I haven't found one that I'm willing to devote that many calories to it. I'd rather eat oatmeal because its less calories and more filling.

Most cereal servings are 3/4 of a cup and some are only 1/2!! No way would that fill me up!
  • stephelan
    Options
    I figure if you're going to eat cereal for breakfast, you might as well get one that you personally enjoy. It's usually not recommended at ALL! Mostly just carbs and sugar. However, I think the General Mills ones or the ones in the organic section (Barbara's brands and stuff) TEND to be better for you (whole grains and stuff) but that's not really saying much. Breakfast cereal is my biggest vice when it comes to this whole weightloss thing and I won't give it up! I have anything from Banana Nut Cheerios to Reese's Puffs to Kashi Go Lean and I've managed to still lose 60 pounds. If you actually pay attention to the serving size, you should be okay regardless of what you get. I mean, I'm sure there are some "healthy" sugarless cereals out there but with very similar nutritional value as their less low-fat, low-everything gimmacky cousins.
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with tsp of brown sugar, nuts and berries is a very filling cereal. I stay away from cold cereals any more since they don't do anything for my hunger.
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean (NOT Go Leean Crunch which is not as healthful) high protein & fiber & tasty! Don't worry about the "fiber twigs" listed on the box! Eat with skim soy/dairy milk and fruit.

Winner!
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    In winter ...porridge made with skim milk , sultanas , and cinnomin ...

Summer ..kellogs just right with fresh bannana ....
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have multi grain cheerios almost every morning. It fills me up until my 9:30/10am snack. Sometimes I'll throw some fruit in too. I also like cracklin oatbran but it is a higher calorie cereal
  • kellyc3
    kellyc3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Bump
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean (NOT Go Leean Crunch which is not as healthful) high protein & fiber & tasty! Don't worry about the "fiber twigs" listed on the box! Eat with skim soy/dairy milk and fruit.

Winner!

That's pretty good too.. though sometimes I feel like I am eating cardboard....
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nature's Path Optimum Power is my favourite, but any of their organic cereals are a great choice, and don't taste like cardboard.
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have micro porridge oats with 150ml of skimmed milk. I sprinkle a bit a cinnamon to it to give a bit of extra flavour. It keeps you full until lunch and is about 160kcal so not bad :)
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have Kashi Go Lean about 1x a week...otherwise I stick to whole grain cereal vs. processed. But the crunch is nice sometimes. The fiber/protein makes it filling. Having some right now with Greek yogurt and berries and flax oil.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Multi Grain Cheerios, Plain Cheerios or Special K Protein Plus with Almomd Breeze Unsweetened and a banana or Regular Oatmeal with Protein Powder, Flaxseed mixed with nuts or fruit
  • anihop
    anihop Posts: 18
    Options
    I love the kashi cereals. The 'Go Lean' cereals are my favorite. I use Silk soy milk with it.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    I love Kix, Rice Chex, Rice Krispies, and if I am going for a little higher carb and calorie content I love Grape Nuts
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    - Oatmeal with skim milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon (hint from MFP)
    - Vogels Soy & Linseed Ultra Bran - Australian, not sure if you get it any where else - tastes good, real crunch, high fibre, tastes sweet but 13g sugar per 100g
    - Poached egg on toast no butter lots of pepper
    - my home made muesli - delicious but it has sugar / oil / sesame seeds / sultanas etc in it so not low calorie - I could probably "fiddle" with it a bit ... mmm

I find it difficult to eat breakfast in the mornings so have coffee (now black NO sugar how good am I :laugh: ) and then take my cereal to work and eat that at morning tea instead of those creamy sugary biscuits lurking in the staff room. Been doing this for ages but I was taking Kellogs Sultana Bran, which I discovred hre on MFP actually is 22.7g sugar so no more!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 egg whites (cooked in), and a little bit of almond butter mixed in after cooking.

I make it so it is 240 calories all together and so tasty and filling!

1/2 cup oatmeal = 140/150 cals depending on the brand
    1/2 cup almond milk = 20 cals
    2 egg whites = 34 cals
    1/2 tbsp almond butter = 45 cals

As far as the cereals go, I also think it is a bunch of empty calories and chemicals. The problem also is that you'll be hungry so quickly after because the simple carbs are burned quickly leaving your tummy empty!
  • Lisa19690_1
    Options
    I like Muesli with yogurt and it fills me till lunch
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!

Pretty much all of the boxed cereals are loaded with sodium!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i just stick to plain oatmeal with cinnamon and no milk in it for now