Total let down...

Options
Okay...I was really excited yesterday morning when I had my annual physical and got my "official" weight...I've lost 9 pounds and I was SO excited! I got to work and was chatting with my boss (we've become kinda friends) and another co-worker when they asked me if I'd like a chocolate truffle. I politely declined and followed with the exciting news of my weightloss...and I got crickets. There was no response from either of them. I should have taken the silence as warning because the rest of my day went to complete hell (workwise)...non related to our chit-chat.
I know that I'm losing the weight for myself and that those around me that see me everyday won't always notice the weightloss, but I came right out and "announced" it and got NO response...it hurt.

Replies

• irenerose25
    irenerose25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people don't know what to say in that situation. If they haven't been on a weightloss journey, they might not know the appropriate response. I, however, think you are a rockstar. Keep it up!
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just something they weren't comfortable discussing...like, they didn't want to say anything which might have been misconstrued? Some people just find it easier to say nothing at all rather than risk it coming out wrong and having people get offended :)
    Although, how difficult is it to say, "wow, congratulations, you're doing well!" lol.
    Congratulations, by the way :D
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    They were eating chocolate and you announced that they were bad bad people. That's why you got crickets. There really is a time and place to discuss your weight loss accomplishments. While people are stuffing their faces, is not one of them.

But that's their problem. Not yours.

Congratulations on your loss.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I don't usually discuss my weight at work, but these two people, I'm especially close with, so I never expected the reaction (or lack there of) I got from them.
    Thanks for the support!!!! xoxo
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i work at a few places.. the nursing home folks do not want to hear about dieting. you would think people in health care would be more conscientious about what they eat but they arent. they do not prepare food for themselves for the most part and if they do its not what i would consider healthy. otherwise they order out for pizza , subs, wings, ect.. it was an easy win for me when they had a weight loss contest there last year and i won first place out of five facilities.

the other place i work at is health conscious. the owner is actually looking to put a gym in the builiding. they love hearing about my successes there which is nice. its great support to know people are around you that support you.

keep up the good work!!! you got all of us cheering you on!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think the best of the situation to avoid getting mad at folks (some people have claimed that I just make up my own story and fit whatever it is I want into the scenario without listening to them at all and that that somehow makes me an obnoxious *kitten*...but I prefer to think that I'm right and they didn't say anything).

It can be difficult to respond to weight loss comments. People aren't really sure what to say since it is such a sensitive area for so many people. Particularly if you're close with those folks, they probably just felt that saying nothing was better than potentially saying the wrong thing. Granted 'that's great' or 'good job' is innocent enough...but still.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people don't know what to say in that situation. If they haven't been on a weightloss journey, they might not know the appropriate response. I, however, think you are a rockstar. Keep it up!

I totally Agree with this!^^^^^
  • only4me_lori
    only4me_lori Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well..you came to the right place for support....Yaaaaaaaaaaay for you...Good job on not taking the chocolate...That in itself is a GREAT accomplishment....(I love chocolate)...Keep up the good work....
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Woooooo Hoooooo Congo Rats on your 9 lbs.

Sometimes telling people you're losing weight, just reminds them that they are not losing weight. It's like when you tell the other friends and they start telling you how much they lost before saying anything nice to you.
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, now you know who not to discuss it with. At work there is a lady and usually we really don't talk much but when we both decide to go on a diet (like every January...lol) we discuss every aspect of it. She is a great support. It's like I have diferent friends for different things. She is my diet friend.

I get that same response when I say "no thanks, I don't drink" I should just stop at "no thanks".....everybody just thinks I'm wierd when I say "I don't drink"
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    BTW, you have a lot os diet friends here. Hooray for you......you lost 9 lbs.....awesome.....keep up the great work!!!
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think you're awesome. They are apparently not willing to admit your awesomeness.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    People are afraid to get excited for you. What they are thinking is that "Oh, here we go again!" and mentally rolling their eyes.

I lost weight 10 years ago on a supervised diet, and all I got from co-workers (after I had lost 35 pounds and was a beautiful size 10!) was "Well, let's see if you can keep it off!"

That's their problem.

We celebrate you!
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    First, great job! Second, they probably were a tiny bit jealous and felt bad about themselves if you announced you lost 9lb and they are standing there stuffing chocolates :)
  • surgesilk
    Options
    They are your co-workers, not your support system.Why would you tell them you lost weight while they were eating chocolate? What did you want them to do while they were eating?
    You made at the very least,a faux pas, and you think they have the problem?
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    First, great job! Second, they probably were a tiny bit jealous and felt bad about themselves if you announced you lost 9lb and they are standing there stuffing chocolates :)

Congrats on your loss! That is awesome! I also agree with what she said. Happy Friday! :drinker:
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Congratulations on the 9 pounds lost. You did good. It isn't easy and you deserve a nice congrats from whomever you tell. Glad you stopped by here and told us. We know the importantance positive reinforcement. Again, I'm happy for you.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    a favorite quote from mamma mia lol "screw em if they cant take a joke"
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    you are awesome thats all you need to know!
  • smmanda14
    Options
    First of all I want to say I am sorry for the complete lack of a response. That is really rude and I hope that it was just because they almost feel insecure that they don't have such an impressive accomplishment! And second of all, I am really really impressed and inspired by you! Losing 9 lbs is really amazing and just because two people didn't give the appropriate response doesn't mean you should undervalue your accomplishment! You are doing a tremendous job! Keep up the great work!