I can't do it!

Options
jo_marnes
jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
I just can not eat my daily calories without going over on carbs and waaaay under on protein.

I am trying to eat according to P90X diet plan - with high protein and low carbs. I think the only way I can up my protein is with supplements I can't afford!

I get fed up because fruit and veg puts me over on carbs! Ok, my sweet tooth doesn't help either, but I'm craving sugar lately.... not sure if that's just random/ habit/ due to change in diet and exercise. I am only 12 days in to the programme but it involves weight training which I was not doing before (used to work out same durations, just all cardio really).

I need some ideas as to how to change this around. Please look through my diary and give me some pointers. I need to swap carbs for proteins, but it needs to be sweet! Chicken breast just ain't going to cut it when my body wants chocolate!! lol

Replies

• vilardip1
    Options
    Honestly, an easy way to up the protein while not adding any carbs would be IsoPure protein powder...it is no/low carb and will boost you an extra 40 or so grams of protein...it is sweetened with Splenda (sucralose)...also, just some more lean meats would do it...even if its some cold cuts (chicken, turkey, roast beef), you could cut out a little bit of carbs in your afternoon snacks by going with half a serving of crackers, and swapping Doritos for a two ounce portion of deli meat or cheese...also, if you are hurting in the calorie region, add a little healthy fat to bump those up...fat has 9 calories per gram, rather than only 4 cal/gram for carbs and protein, so adding some butter or oil (or if you want to stay whole and healthy, avocado or olives) is more efficient to close that calorie gap
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Usually I wouldn't eat doritos - we were out at a friends for drinks yesterday (and no, I didn't drink!) and there were nibbles. I'd usually be having apple and cottage cheese or something like that in the afternoon.

I struggle with the meat from our local supermarket as most of it isn't gluten free and I'm coeliac. But yes, I could prepare my own. I guess the problem is just that I don't like meat very much. I could easily be veggie. So eating it will never 'satisfy' me as it's not what I want, if you see what I mean.

Maybe I will take another look at protein powders....