Why you should eat your exercise calories

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me that what MFP gave me for my personal training class was not accurate. He said it was too high. To get an accurate court I needed a Heart Rate Monitor. I don't have one and probably won't be getting one anytime soon. So what I do is I add my exercise but I don't add the whole hour I only add 1/2 hour and he said to never ever go below 1200 calories and to Yes - eat back my exercise calories, and to eat the right foods, ex. carbs before class and protein after class. Exercise alone is so important for health reasons not just losing weight, heart health, cholesteral health, diabetes health, etc.

I have gone from doing almost nothing in about 1 1/2 years to doing a personal training class 3 days a week and I know that has got to be better for me overall then doing nothing.

I think each person's body make up is different, especially for women depending on their age. I know I used to be able to drop 10 lbs in a couple weeks by limiting my food and working out, now it takes more like 10 weeks to lose 10 lbs!

I think the OP here is trying to say that if you limit your calorie intake too much even if you are working out, you will most likely stall in your weight loss.

If you are using MFP's to calculate calories burned I would suggest only eating around 75% of them as the site tends to over estimate caloric burn.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My basic reasoning behind the post: Eating too little can do more harm than good. Not saying everyone should do it the same! Goodness xD
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It is different for each person. Someone trying to soapbox how all people should do this one thing is pretentious.

I put in an hour of cardio every day 6 times a week. That's roughly 5-6 miles of running or eliptical a day, or 25-30 miles a week. My goal burn is 6000 calories a week.

If I eat my calories back, I don't lose weight.

If I don't eat my calories back, I lose what I'm supposed to lose.

If I eat some of my calories back, I may or may not lose weight depending on how my body feels at the time relational to saturn's axiom tilt compared with the cross nebula of EB192.

In short: I try not to eat my calories back because it gives me the best results and always has. There are some people who are the reverse of me. That's perfectly ok too.

Note: I do not starve myself. I eat 1700-2000 calories a day.

If you gain by eating them back then either you have a slow metabolism, are under estimating what you eat, or over estimating what you burn. If you are tracking everything with any degree of accuracy and your BMR and activity level on MFP are correct then you must eat 100% of your exercise calories back in order to lose your weekly goal amount of weight.

With the amount of cardio you are doing there is a good change you are burning a lot of lean muscle away which will further lower your metabolism. I eat 1900-2200 cals/day and don't gain and my maintenance is arount 1900, the extra 200-300 accounts for exercise.

For those that don't want to eat your exercise calories back you should be setting your activity level much higher to account for exercise that way. Instead of sedentary put in active, this will give you more cals to fuel your workouts and if you do this you should not eat the exercise calories back. This is the way nutritionist and doctors set your caloric intake and if you set the proper weekly weight loss goal for your stats you will always be higher than 1200 cals unless your are 5 foot nothing and 100 and nothing pounds.

My metabolism is 20% slower than normal and I have to account for that. This was confirmed after several months of study and finding what numbers work for me and involved using an HRM (MFP states I burn over 1000 calories if I run 6 miles but I actually only burn 750; MFP often times is wrong when it comes to calories burned and seems to use a base average)

My non-active BMR is 1900 calories. For a 220 lb guy it should be between 2200 and 2400.

In addition to my cardio I also do about 180-240 minutes of strength training per week.

I am a former wrestler/pro-wrestler so gyms and nutrionists etc are not new concepts for me.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat six times a day as it is..i dont typically get hungry anymore but if i do i listen to my body and have something more. i try to stick to my plan and if i workout a ton ,then well, i work out a ton.. i always eat before and after workouts . i keep stuff im my car at all times in case an emergency hunger strikes and it prevents me from driving through a mcdonalds drive thru.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is only a good idea to not eat the extra caloris if, and only if, you increase your activity level to account for exercise. changing your activity level will give you more calories so you will be eating enough, without the thought of "eating your exercise calories".

Essentially you would be setting your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) then creating a deficit from that to lose weight. This is what most trainer/doctors/nutritionists do. Most professionals will tell you not to eat your exercise calories back because they added it into your TDEE, whereas MFP ignores planned exercise and only accounts for it when you perform and enter it. Either way should get you to the same place.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1750*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn which would be covered in the 1750/day above.

As an example your day to day requirements are like a tank of gas. if you use a tank of gas/week going to and from work, if you go on any extra trips or errands you will need to add more gas in order to have enough gas to get to work. So if you need 1450 for day to day stuff (you will lose weight with 1450 cals and no exercise), then when you do extra (workout) you need to put more calories in your body.
    Options
    That is why I use a BodyMedia Fit and HRM to attempt to get close to what I should be eating - although these are still estimates so I leave about 100-200 calories usually for that. I would probably leave a little more on cardio days if I didn't have these. Mfp can sure give some crazy high readings for somethings!

I have seen so many posts of "Im not losing!!!" Then see that they are eating 1200 calories and burning 800+ each day. The thought of exercise calories is foreign besides this site, so I think many people do not understand.

Exercise = great! Eating too little = bad.
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    great post ! common sense should always prevail
  • Candida1983
    Options
    I have a friend who eats all of her exercise calories, and she has lost 33 pounds in the last 5 months!! I have been inspired by her, but what if you can't eat all of the calories back because you're way too full to think about it? I really tried last night but wasn't able to and ended up with 300+ calories that I didn't eat.
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    great post ! common sense should always prevail
    GREAT discussion and information!!! Ya'll rock!

Its been touched on here but I think it is crucial to the issue. Especially when you are eating back ALL your calories. I think eating back all of your exercise calories can be difficult advice especially for newbies. Not because the science and mathematics of it doesn't make sense. I think it makes sense and I believe in a starvation mode. I think it is difficult advice because it is HARD to ACCURATELY calculate your calories in vs. calories out.

1. Track calories in carefully. Are you really eating *just* a tablespoon of peanut butter - better yet I see people recording they had a PB sandwich with 1 TEASPOON of PB. Really??? 1 tsp how in the world did you spread it on??? Was that apple really a small 80 calorie apple? Those giant fuji apples can be >120 calories a pop - that's 50% more. Now I'm not saying you are going to get fat eating apples but it applies to other areas as well. There is wonderful blog www.freewebs.com/goingskiing/plateaubusters of a lady (who has done a lot of research on many things including portion sizes) She even went to McD's and ordered a small fry took it home and weighed it. The website says small order weigh 90g = 150 calories. Her small order actually weight 30% more and thus 30% more calories (256cal).

In one study she cites, a bunch of registered dietitians were asked to keep a food diary. Even registered dietitians UNDERreported their calories by 10%. What about studies on the average dieter - the average was to under report by 29%.

2. Track Calories burned carefully. This one is hard. HRM's aren't 100% but neither are MFP's exercise calculators, and those calorie calculators on the cardio machines - fuhgetaboutit! In almost all cases, these tools OVERestimate your calorie burn. Yesterday I saw where someone said they burned 400 calories doing 10 minutes of exercise (I'm hoping that was a mistake because I'm not buying it). Ideas to help, set your HRM for a lower weight than you actually are. Round down your numbers.

Or like me... I eat back roughly half of my exercise calories to make up for my errors. I'm not perfect. I leave that slightly larger deficit as "insurance" to cover mistakes - is my ACTUAL deficit really that large - probably not. I might have forgotten to record that my teaspoon of EVOO actually overflowed a little, I didn't actually weigh my grapefruit to make sure it was the textbook size (a lot of these calorie guides were made years ago and produce was smaller - produce has gotten bigger with advances in agricultural practices), I wore my HRM but it might have not been 100%, was that soft serve ice cream cone that was supposed to be a 150 calorie treat really the standard 150 calorie size - it sure looked HUGE

If all else fails, let weight loss be your guide! Try it both ways and see what happens.
    Options
    I have a friend who eats all of her exercise calories, and she has lost 33 pounds in the last 5 months!! I have been inspired by her, but what if you can't eat all of the calories back because you're way too full to think about it? I really tried last night but wasn't able to and ended up with 300+ calories that I didn't eat.

If you didn't have a huge calorie deficit then I don't worry too much about it. I add olive oil to my foods to get the cals in :]
    Or protein ice cream or dark chocolate ^-^ hehe
  • Jenniferlynn212
    Jenniferlynn212 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can you save them for a cheat day once per week?
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Short answer: YES!

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

After reading this article, I realized that my biggest problem is my all or nothing approach to fitness and weight loss. Over the last year (2011) I have lost and gained the same 6 or so lbs, hovering between 174 and 180 - all year. I'm female, 5' 7", 47, muscular, physical job (constuction). I restricted on and off my calories, and did intense periods of working out (P90X - 9 weeks, ended up really sick, high fever etc. then took a break for 10 weeks, then Insanity 7 weeks - no weight loss). As you can see I have rollercoastered with my on again, off again approach and it has got me no where! And very stressed out.

I have restarted the New Year doing an Insanity/P90X Hybrid and am concerned that I don't repeat the over-training and clearly undereating I was doing before. I am not working right now so have set my activity to slightly active on MFP. I use a HRM for all my workouts but reduce the total burned by 20% to allow for normal base and errors. Should I focus on my net calories? Make sure they are between 1200 and 1500 a day? Its so hard. About 5 years ago, I ran 3 miles, 3 x a week and ate normally and lost 40 lbs over 4 months. Why is it so much harder now?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!
    Good article sunshine! One of the biggest obstacles I have with clients is eating back calories that were exercised. Unless I explain it to them in simple terms, then it doesn't make sense. Here's how I do it:

Think of a dam. When rainfall is consistent, the dam's valves are left open so that water can freely let water out. If you eat at maintenance, this is the scenario. If there is too much rainfall and the dam valves aren't opened up more, then the dam will overflow. This is when you overeat, and not compensate with exercise thereby gaining weight. If there's a drought, then the dam's valves are closed down more for conservation of water. If you don't eat enough, your body WILL slow it's metabolism and start to reserve energy.
    Unlike a dam though, WE control the amount of "rainfall" that goes into that dam. So make sure to do it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kelseyessex
    Options
    @Sunshine

I think I get this post - I have just read the first 2 pages of comments and had a quick look at the article.

So when I joined MFP they gave me a reading of 1200 calories per day - which was a deficit of 500 calories from my normal daily intake to maintain my current weight - therefore the 1200 calories per day is to lose 1-2lb per week, right?

If I do a workout and burn 300 calories in the gym - which is not necessarily accurate (even when using HRMs) - I should eat them back?

I only put down 50% of my calories burned in MFP so if I burn 300 I would only put down 150 and eat back that amount because I don't think the burnt estimate is correct. Would you agree with me?

Also, if you are losing weight really fast, your body will think "woooo slow down you need fat to protect yourself, but muscle can go that's okay"...This is why aneroxics/bulimics get heart failure but still have (sometimes) normal body fat percentages because their body is starving and it needs calories to it starts to burn the muscles, the heart is a muscle!

Obviously, bigger people will be able to lose at a faster rate than smaller people because they have more weight to lose and when they do exercise they will burn more cals etc.

I think I've got this now and thanks for the post it was very interesting :)
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    MFP calculated 1200 calories per day for me. I HAVE to eat my exercise calories back.....otherwise I'm hungry. And when I'm hungry, I get angry......and when I'm angry.....no one in my house is happy. :o) So I definitely eat my exercise calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

After reading this article, I realized that my biggest problem is my all or nothing approach to fitness and weight loss. Over the last year (2011) I have lost and gained the same 6 or so lbs, hovering between 174 and 180 - all year. I'm female, 5' 7", 47, muscular, physical job (constuction). I restricted on and off my calories, and did intense periods of working out (P90X - 9 weeks, ended up really sick, high fever etc. then took a break for 10 weeks, then Insanity 7 weeks - no weight loss). As you can see I have rollercoastered with my on again, off again approach and it has got me no where! And very stressed out.

I have restarted the New Year doing an Insanity/P90X Hybrid and am concerned that I don't repeat the over-training and clearly undereating I was doing before. I am not working right now so have set my activity to slightly active on MFP. I use a HRM for all my workouts but reduce the total burned by 20% to allow for normal base and errors. Should I focus on my net calories? Make sure they are between 1200 and 1500 a day? Its so hard. About 5 years ago, I ran 3 miles, 3 x a week and ate normally and lost 40 lbs over 4 months. Why is it so much harder now?

I would highly suggest adding your activity level into your TDEE calculation and create a small deficit (.5 lbs per week). I did p90x and ate 1800 and didn't lose anything. As a man that is way too few calories. I then did CLX and ate 2600 calories and lost 5 lbs (of my 10 i wanted), 3% body fat and 6" (hips, waist and abs; 2" in each area). I am now doing p90x2 and eating 2800-3000 calories and even after two weeks I can start to see some more definition as well as losing 4 lbs so far. Fueling the body is important, especially when you want to be fit and have a high metabolism. Doing a P90X and insanity hybrid will make you very active in terms of TDEE.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is different for each person. Someone trying to soapbox how all people should do this one thing is pretentious.

I put in an hour of cardio every day 6 times a week. That's roughly 5-6 miles of running or eliptical a day, or 25-30 miles a week. My goal burn is 6000 calories a week.

If I eat my calories back, I don't lose weight.

If I don't eat my calories back, I lose what I'm supposed to lose.

If I eat some of my calories back, I may or may not lose weight depending on how my body feels at the time relational to saturn's axiom tilt compared with the cross nebula of EB192.

In short: I try not to eat my calories back because it gives me the best results and always has. There are some people who are the reverse of me. That's perfectly ok too.

Note: I do not starve myself. I eat 1700-2000 calories a day.

If you gain by eating them back then either you have a slow metabolism, are under estimating what you eat, or over estimating what you burn. If you are tracking everything with any degree of accuracy and your BMR and activity level on MFP are correct then you must eat 100% of your exercise calories back in order to lose your weekly goal amount of weight.

With the amount of cardio you are doing there is a good change you are burning a lot of lean muscle away which will further lower your metabolism. I eat 1900-2200 cals/day and don't gain and my maintenance is arount 1900, the extra 200-300 accounts for exercise.

For those that don't want to eat your exercise calories back you should be setting your activity level much higher to account for exercise that way. Instead of sedentary put in active, this will give you more cals to fuel your workouts and if you do this you should not eat the exercise calories back. This is the way nutritionist and doctors set your caloric intake and if you set the proper weekly weight loss goal for your stats you will always be higher than 1200 cals unless your are 5 foot nothing and 100 and nothing pounds.

My metabolism is 20% slower than normal and I have to account for that. This was confirmed after several months of study and finding what numbers work for me and involved using an HRM (MFP states I burn over 1000 calories if I run 6 miles but I actually only burn 750; MFP often times is wrong when it comes to calories burned and seems to use a base average)

My non-active BMR is 1900 calories. For a 220 lb guy it should be between 2200 and 2400.

In addition to my cardio I also do about 180-240 minutes of strength training per week.

I am a former wrestler/pro-wrestler so gyms and nutrionists etc are not new concepts for me.

There is a good chance that your BMR is low because you have been consistently under eating which hurts LBM as noted before. And since your metabolic rate is directly calculated by the amount of LBM, the less you have the slower the metabolism. This is very apparent in long distance runners since they burn so many calories during their runs. If you want to change your metabolism though, then you need to eat more and increase lbm, which actually means eating a surplus. But in the end, it's all about what you care about. Do you care about a metabolism or weight?
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I would highly suggest adding your activity level into your TDEE calculation and create a small deficit (.5 lbs per week). I did p90x and ate 1800 and didn't lose anything. As a man that is way too few calories. I then did CLX and ate 2600 calories and lost 5 lbs (of my 10 i wanted), 3% body fat and 6" (hips, waist and abs; 2" in each area). I am now doing p90x2 and eating 2800-3000 calories and even after two weeks I can start to see some more definition as well as losing 4 lbs so far. Fueling the body is important, especially when you want to be fit and have a high metabolism. Doing a P90X and insanity hybrid will make you very active in terms of TDEE.

Thank you. I shall adjust my MFP to moderately active, and should I resume my normal work, to highly active. Also the .5 lbs a week too instead of the 2 lbs I have now. I'm also planning to try spiking one day a week.
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    I'm so glad I logged on and read a bit. I've been going at this 2 weeks and only have lost 1 lb but I've done exactly what youu described. Cut my calories way back and started doing 30-45 minutes of cardio 5days/week. And I've been so proud that I haven't eaten not only my exercise points but I wasn't eating my daily allowance either!

Ok - I'll eat more. Sounds crazy on a diet - but I'll eat more.
  • berry_nice579
    berry_nice579 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yay!! I hope this helps me! I have been stuck at the SAME WEIGHT for a WHOLE YEAR!!!! I think this is my problem! =] I had lost 15 pound and then nothing! It's been EXTREMELY disappointing! I hadn't been eating back my calories so let's hope this works!!! =]