Dietingis easier than working out...

Options
I'm not sure if this has been because I am lazy or if it is just because I have convinced myself of this....but I feel like dieting is way easier than working out. If I want to lose more weight cut more calories. I have never been a big fan of working out, and not a fan of the "burn." I wish I was though...but I have bad hips, knees, and feet therefore, it makes it a little difficult....but I was wondering if there was other people like this?

Replies

• DreamStriveBe
    DreamStriveBe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think that dieting is definitely easier than working out. You don't need as much motivation and I think it takes less effort. Also, it can be really hard to work out if you never get time alone or you have injuries. You will still lose weight just by dieting, but you won't get as toned as you would if you worked out. Just be sure to get over 1200 calories a day, and if you have to burn any taking a walk is a good idea.
    Hope this helps! :)
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I feel just the opposite! Trying not to think of it as dieting, my sometimes the healthy eating part of my new lifestyle is a struggle. I like the healthy stuff, but I'm drawn to all the rest, too!

I like working out because I feel so good afterward. Sometimes I have to talk myself into starting an exercise or going to the gym, but I'm fine once I've started! It also helps me sleep so much better, and that's a problem for me sometimes.

So, I'm not much help, but here's hoping I get more comfortable with my eating plan and you get more "into" working out! Maybe you just haven't found the right "thing" for you yet!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I have bad ankles, and sometimes painful knees. I also have a rotator cuff injury that flares up now and then for weeks at a time. I had to push myself to get the gym for the first little while (well, actually, I love Curves, so that was a fun transition... but I'm talking the "real" gym--elliptical, arc trainer, strength training with weights, etc). I had to push myself to get there. That's why I prepaid my year of membership--I am more likely to stay motivated that way. If not for me, then for my money! lol

As time progressed, I started to really enjoy working out. Then I started really hating NOT working out. If I don't get my workout in, it's a horrible day. Seriously. I have purchased a stationary bike, my dumbbell set, and a mini trampoline made its way to my house just a few days ago. I have plans to buy an elliptical soon too... I'm just waiting for our garage to be converted to my toy room first! Now I can't imagine NOT having an active lifestyle. I had to move myself into it, and now I don't want to leave!

Push yourself... you'll soon see that it's really not so tough... and it's actually a happy pill without the pill!

Oh-and for the injuries... I recommend trying a Cybex Arc Trainer (or some other arc if there is one). They're amazingly low impact.

*edited to add: as a food addict, the diet is the hardest part for me. I'm having to retrain my brain not to connect depression, anger, guilt, etc. with needing more food... that's H-A-R-D. Much harder than training my body to have some stamina for exercise.
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I actually love working out, when I have time for it. I know I use general life as an excuse, but with my schedule it is really difficult to fit in gym time without completely resenting the experience and instead of feeling successful or emotionally relieved like I used to, I leave angrier or more upset than I was when I got to the gym. I know towards the end of my journey it will be necessary to spend time in the gym regularly, but that will be either at the end of or after grad school and I hope to have more time to actually reap the benefits of a good hard burn.
  • jujuevins
    Options
    I agree with you about dieting making more of a difference. I do workout three times a week (30 minute workouts) BUT I think watching the calories is the real way to make a difference--faster. To give this example, I have always been somewhat athletic but you have to work out a lot if you are eating more than you should. For years, I've exercised but did not watch my food intake and I was inching up in size. Only when I joined MFP and started eating less calories every day did I lose weight....and the exercise stayed basically the same.

So, I honestly think you can keep doing this--losing weight--without the exercise. Just watch those calories!
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    its a total life style change to commit for the rest of your life. My sister lost so much weight just eating healthier without working out one single day. she's 5'2" and weighs 124 lbs. It took good 1yr-2yrs but she has kept it off.
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    Are you getting enough nutrition and sleep? Those two together plays a big role in how your mind is set for the workout...start your workout small and gradually build on it. I have bad knees and feet too. As a matter of fact I have no right knee cap and I have a fusion in my right foot that does not allow that foot to rock outward or inward. I will be running my first 2 marathons this year...find friends who will lift you up and inspire you. Once you get going you wont look back! :)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have had a lot of pain. I do find that now that I exercise more I have less pain because my muscles are stronger so they can support the joints better. The movement also increases the fluid in the joints which helps too. I would really recommend starting out slow and gentle, just walking, and work your way up to stronger muscle and less pain. In my mind the goal isn't to be thin but rather to be able to do the things I want to do without pain, sleep better and feel good!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite as well.

After years and years of switching out bad foods for good ones, etc. there are no easy choices left. I don't drink soda or juice, I eat a darned healthy diet. And eat pretty much the same amount of calories at each meal and when I cut back, I so hungry I can't think straight.

I am striving simply not to overeat at all because no matter what form it takes -- carbs, protein, etc. the leftovers all get stored as fat.

I love working out, walking outside and strength training is my new "thing."

The trainer at my gym says that losing weight is 60 percent diet and 40 percent exercise. I think she's right.
  • PersnicketyFits
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have a bad ankle from a botched surgery which has led to knee pain, neck problems from a karate injury, AND exercise-induced asthma! lol Also, I find it SO BORING! I used to be very involved in my karate class... Competitions, weapons training, and I was even involved in the "Demonstration Team" which was almost like "honors karate class". lol! So it was VERY hard when the doctor told me (after having my neck injured) that I had to quit... NO contact sports at all. So, you can imagine how bored I was when I tried to start in at a gym (even paying a membership wasn't motivation enough, I went twice). Even with TV or music, it's boring as hell...

I JUST started the Women's Health Transform workout (it's not on their website yet) and it seems to be starting out very slowly, which is good because my first work-out only took 15 minutes. I put on my Pandora OH!3OH! station (it actually has a very good rhythm for working out. Almost every song had a beat I could left my little hand weights to). I still haven't talked my butt into getting onto the elliptical (can't really do the treadmill with the ankle/knee thing), but I'm taking baby steps. The plan doesn't have me adding cardio until month 2 so I guess I have time to work myself up to it. :-)

I also find that printing off a work-out sheet is very helpful. I thumb-tacked it to my wall and it made it very easy to transition from each move.

Hope this helps.
  • Bomber989
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the challenges but we all have to work with what we've been dealt. Dieting is certainly beneficial to maintining a healthy weight, or loosing should that be necessary, but most on MFP post about the benefits of watching your intake coupled with some type of exercise. For those who can, they are fortunate. For those who may not be albe to, then watching your diet seems the best thing you can do.

Remember, healthy foods, not processed, will do the body best.

Good luck with your weight loss/maintenance endeavors.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Complete opposite. I LOVE working out and feel miserable if something gets in the way of a planned workout. Eating perfectly though takes alot effort and that is harder for me.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    "They" say that loosing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise, so It seems "they" agree with you. :smile: That said though, I have learned to love working out :happy:
  • cheryllicata
    Options
    Dieting without exercising reduces the fat burning enzymes which causes the depletion of muscle and fat is stored. The metabolic rate comes down and there is a drastic change in the chemical composition. When you don’t exercise sufficiently, endorphins aren’t released in sufficient amounts. This causes a feeling of tiredness and lethargy. You will feel stressed out. A good round of exercising causes the individual to feel good not only about his external appearance but he also becomes calmer. If you losing weight only by dieting, this could even affect the central nervous system adversely.
    Lack of physical activities also affects the sleep pattern. A person could suffer from insomnia or sleepiness. The quality of their output suffers both at work and home. Their irritable and mood swings become regular. This is because dieting alone without regular exercising makes the person weak.
    A lot of people who only diet without exercising look paler and visibly different than those who diet and also exercise. This is because the body doesn’t look toned and hence the person looks sick.
    Exercise and your skin, hair, posture and muscle tone all will improve. You'll be stronger and you'll have more energy. Activity also helps you avoid depression, stress and boredom. You'll be more alert mentally.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love food so much, i could literally eat all day and all night. Sometimes i find it really hard to work out but then i think of the yummy food i get to eat at the end and thats motivation enough.

But its true that its a mix of both that will get you where you want to be faster. If you just diet it will take longer to lose the weight as working out builds muscle which burns calories more efficently.

My boyfriend of 9 years tells me I am in the best shape ever and it comes from eating well and excercising well. (Jillian Michaels 30 day shred literally saved my life, its amazing) If i eat some cake i dont beat myself up about it i just enojy it and get back to healthy the next day, same if i miss a workout. Im not one of these people whos going to get all stressed as i missed a run. Everything in moderation! :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Dieting is easier, cause you have to do less.

That being said, I've lost 30-40lbs through just a change in diet (no exercise for 5-6 months) and through diet + exercise for about the same amount of time.

Through a few simple body-weight exercises, I could tell I lost a LOT more muscle when i strictly ate less vs eating normal and keeping up with cardio/strength training. Things like pushups, pullups were the telltale signs.

After you start realizing stuff like that....'weight loss' isn't necessarily exactly what everyone's after. Fat loss and the preservation of muscle will keep you looking fitter, healthier and stronger.

But for some, simply being smaller is the goal. Either way it's a step in the right direction.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like exercising. But I do think it's easier to diet in the short term just because dieting takes no extra time and for me, time is a precious commodity. I find it hard to eat little enough to maintain a weight loss without exercise though. Plus, exercise has so many health benefits that it's just not smart not to exercise regularly.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i lost a great deal of weight during one part of my diet without working out. hated exercise at the time and decided i'd rather just do it with calories.

the downside is that some of that weight loss was muscle.

did it the right way the second time. also, some level of exercise will most likely have to be a part of your maintenance phase. get an exercise bike for the winter, and walk during the summer. that's the way i do it.

i don't mind exercise now; you just get use to it after a while.
  • Debbieatonetwenty
    Options
    Yes...I hear you...I despise working out, I try but I just dont enjoy it, I feel a little sick to my stomach when I work out. I tried yoga thinking low impact, not much jumping around but I get dizzy, and yes I am breathing!! I think walking helps me either at a small pace or rapid, snow shoeing is also great because you can go at your own pace...although i dont do much of either. I am active running around with my kids, and doing daily activities but other than that i really do hate working out!! I wish it were different!