What kind of birth control should i choose?

Options
2»

Replies

• blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also use ortho tri cyclen lo - mainly for skin problems, but I've liked it thus far, used that one for almost a year. I haven't noticed any significant weight gain from it.
  • mommyto2cuties
    mommyto2cuties Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I won't use hormone-based birth control anymore. It give me yeast infections and makes me gain weight. I had an IUD in between pregnancies, and I had very heavy periods with it, with lots of cramping. I highly recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." If you're regular, it's pretty easy to figure out when you're fertile (i.e. ovulating), and you really only need to use bc during that short phase of each month, during which time condoms can be just fine. Good luck!

What kind of IUD did you use? I am considering one and heard that the Mirena is good, but at the moment I am just paying attention to my cycle and using condoms. Makes me nervous though because my cycles can be irregular.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I used Depo Provera for 2 years (the shot) and then had switched to Seasonique, where you take pills for 3 months and then take a week off. Both were my choice becasue they keep you from menstruating.

BUT......

Right after I stopped using b/c, I got a serious DVT blood clot that nearly killed me! I also (although this is less significant than near death) gained 40 pounds while on Depo. This affect is rare, but it happens. I'm off b/c for good!

Luckily for me, I didn't get anything like a DVT--BUT I DID gain weight on Depo (and AFTER Depo :grumble: ). I would also be completely wiped out for 2 weeks after each shot! Not really my cup of tea! I do believe that there have been studies that show (at least anecdotally) that women have been known to gain weight due to taking Depo--it could be due to the hormones, etc., that can mess with your metabolism.

I'm now on a monophasic pill (like Lucky) called Apri (the generic form of Desogen). I think it's pretty good. I LOVE the fact that I can skip periods if I want to do so with this one. And, while I wanted the shot because I always forgot to take my pill, I have learned in the last 9 years (my Goodness, has it been that long?) how to do it daily.

All that being said, nobody can make this choice for you BUT you. You really need to have a long heart to heart with your doc and explain what you want in BC. Hopefully, your doctor is really good and can give you good advice to help make up your mind. Keep in mind that some forms of birth control (I'm thinking it's the patch, but I can't be sure) may depend on your weight being low to be effective!!! :noway:

I hope that things work out for you! :flowerforyou:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    We used the rhythm method....we're roman catholic, but we have 8 kids...so i'm not too sure it's working for us :laugh:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    NOT DEPO! My sister and I both had HORRIBLE experiences with it and there are websites with thousands of people with extremely negative side effects. If you are considering it, make sure you do a lot of research.

Here are a few common side effects:
    *70% of women using Depo Provera gain weight. Almost half of the women using Depo Provera gain more than 5 pounds after one year of use. Many women gain more than 10 pounds.
    *Possible sterility with long term use.
    *Headaches, nervousness, mood changes, paranoia, bloating, hot flashes, insomnia, decreased interest in sex (My sister used to tease that it is effective because it makes you hate men and you can't stand them to be anywhere near you!), breast tenderness, acne, hair loss, loss of bone density, and back aches.
    *Even after discontinuing Depo Provera, it can take several months or even years for all the side effects to go away.

I realize that there are some women who get DP shots and love this method, but after what we went through I promised that I would warn any woman who was considering it, so at least she would know the possibility of what she was getting herself into. Each woman is different though, so I hope you find what works for you. :smile:
  • BrandiiNicolee
    Options
    I was on that. worked great. No side effects spotting or anything.

I am on Depo now (NEVER GET DEPO) & will switch back once it runs out.
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    I swear by Yasmin, not Yaz, Yasmin...it is low hormone and has minimal side affects. That's my two cents!

I love Yazmin. I have been on it since Jan and I think it helped in my weight loss. So far I am down 51lbs. I was on Yazmin once before and I lost weight while on it then. I think its because it helps control crazings...maybe?

I think the best thing is to find what works well with your body.

Ang
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am calling all the women who is using birth control, i can't decide which one to use. I heard that any kind of pills affect your weight, and besides they can cause the stroke. Anyone has any ideas or information?

Does anyone think that IUD is the best method?

if you ever plan on having kids, i would not use the iud. i have been blessed with very good doctors who acctually reject methods that i have wanted to try. i was on depo provera for like 3 and a 1/2 years and they cut me off when it was found that it can lead to osteoporosis. i got a second opinion, and that person rejected me too! to this day, i still hear people say 'i'm on depo!'...and while i am jealous, i am thankful that at least my docs said no.

she said no to the iud as well, and said she would only recommend it to those who are choosing not to have kids anymore.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    NOT DEPO! My sister and I both had HORRIBLE experiences with it and there are websites with thousands of people with extremely negative side effects. If you are considering it, make sure you do a lot of research.

Here are a few common side effects:
    *70% of women using Depo Provera gain weight. Almost half of the women using Depo Provera gain more than 5 pounds after one year of use. Many women gain more than 10 pounds.
    *Possible sterility with long term use.
    *Headaches, nervousness, mood changes, paranoia, bloating, hot flashes, insomnia, decreased interest in sex (My sister used to tease that it is effective because it makes you hate men and you can't stand them to be anywhere near you!), breast tenderness, acne, hair loss, loss of bone density, and back aches.
    *Even after discontinuing Depo Provera, it can take several months or even years for all the side effects to go away.

I realize that there are some women who get DP shots and love this method, but after what we went through I promised that I would warn any woman who was considering it, so at least she would know the possibility of what she was getting herself into. Each woman is different though, so I hope you find what works for you. :smile:

i totally gained weight from depo too! and i have issues with my bones, but i am not sure if that is a result of depo or not. a shot every three months though..they were on to something good lol!
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I have an IUD(paragard) and I love it! A friend of mine had one of the first IUDs available and had it removed to get pregnant again and conceived the next month. I think we're done for now but don't want to do anything drastic until we're sure. So the IUD was a perfect option for me. I hated the depo and pills make me crazy(er)!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo Provera Shot for almost 3 years and My OB/GYN advised me to come off of it for awhile. It had advantages and disadavantes for me like the weight gain and my friend going awol for the time I was on it. I am now taking Yaz and it is taking some time to get use to have been on it for about 4 months now I am always nauseous I feel dizzy and I just have an overall feeling of being pregnant the breast tenderness and all. I just think it's a matter of opinion and what works for you.
  • TaeKonDomama
    Options
    It really depends on the person as to what side effects there are. I have been on several of the pills. I like the knowing exactly when my peiod will be. I also love the lighter ones and very little cramping. But I had been on the Yasmin at one time for 6 months. Six months of deppression so bad I had thoughts of suicide almost daily. I told my doctor and he immediately switched me to one that worked much better. My hubb swore there was no way the pills were what made me "down" But within 3 days of switching brands I was myself again. Others try the same kind I had problems with and they love it. The side effests are really up to each persons own body chemestry. Some of them I have had to switch from due to breast tenderness so bad that I could not hug my kids without hollering.
  • jcarter0525
    jcarter0525 Posts: 84
    Options
    I've been on Yaz since right after I had my son on October 31. I get period symptoms but it's nothing compared to what I got when I was on Yasmin. I also either get absolutely NO period or a VERY slight one. I've been losing about 1 lb per week so I think I can safely say that there's no weight gain issues with this one.
  • kfromalaska
    Options
    I had a horror story with mirena. I had it in for 4 and a half years. I went to the doctor multiple times over the years with excruciating pain while using the bathroom and was told to 'eat more fiber' and 'lose 5% of your body weight'. Went to have it removed in November and they couldnt find it. They wanted to start me on the pill and assumed that I had passed the mirena and just didnt notice it. I demanded an x-ray and guess what?!?!? turns out it had perforated my uterus and was attatched to my colon. ouch. oh, and losing weight was impossible with mirena, and it gives most women acne.
    this is just my experience with it.