Do you consider your job (i.e. desk job) as "exercise"?

Options
So I've been wondering about this for awhile, how many of you put your job as "exercise" on here? I have a desk job with probably 30 minutes total daily of actual exercise (walking around, up and downstairs). But obviously when I'm working at my desk I must be burning some calories.

I guess my ultimate question is, will putting the approximate calorie burn (from caloriesperhour.com) hurt me or help me? Am I actually not eating enough because I haven't been eating my "work" calories, or will I do damage by eating those calories?

Replies

• genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    no, I don't consider it excercise.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nope, me either.
  • heygirl1954
    heygirl1954 Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't add my job as exercise, I consider this as a everyday thing. I only add exercise that I take the time to do, as exercise (running, walking, weights etc) and yes I eat those calories, they are fuel for the body.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    nope....

only count when your heart rate is raised from high activity...

:o)
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the same thing say 5days a week for work...it should be factored into your lifestyle that you chose. :flowerforyou:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Nope, because your job is already being counted... it's part of your "light activity". You can only count things that are above and beyond what you do in a normal day. If you take an extra walk at lunch, that counts, but your normal walking around and taking the stairs doesn't.
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My desk job has caused my butt to get larger...it is anything but a benefit to my weight loss
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hahaha yea ... this is my second desk job, the first one I had very set break times and lunch hour, and where I worked was on a very large piece of property that was mostly undeveloped, so I spent both breaks and half of my lunch hour walking. now, I'm cramming all the stuff I need to do personally into my lunch hour, cutting into exercise time.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it as exercise. It is incorporated in when you choose your "lifestyle" as sedentary, active, etc.
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't count that as calories burned. Those are just usual calories burned throughout the day. Otherwise it would be impossible to track calories in/out since technically you burn calories by just breathing. Thats why you should just calculate your BMR and go from there.
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i believe that under your profile when you fill out how active of a job you have you are in essence figuring out your "exercise from sitting there" calorie burn: how much do you need to keep your body functioning when you are at work sitting there all day. thus, you dont want to put them on your exercise page b/c then you are doubling them.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    nope, when you signed up it gave you an option of what you daily work activities are (light, moderate, etc) so it would have already adjusted for any small amount of calories burned.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The only calories burned that I log are from exercise calories burned. I walk on my breaks sometimes with co-workers but I do not even count that in so I definitely do not count sitting at my desk at work all day as burning calories. But...thats just me.