How to start exercising slowly? Anyone exercising with an in

Options
I have a past back injury and went to Physical Therapist. She fixed my injury (my pelvic floor was off) and with daily stretching I get better, although it is VERY SLOW. I have to add, I injured myself doing a Jillian tape doing lunges. I was too out of shape to be doing exercising at that level.

I am at a loss as to where to start. I have a treadmill and an exercise machine downstairs. PT told me to do what I want and if it hurts, stop. I also have flexibility issues in which I am out of shape and lack of muscle tone. I want to gain strength, lose 20lbs, and become more fit. I am soon to be 47.

My question is what is "slow"? 5 minutes on a treadmill or 15mins. My spouse tells me to do 5 mins., which is silly to me. I can easily do more. I think starting off at 15mins daily is perfect.

I am researching strength training. It can get overwhelming.

If anyone has exercised with something like this can you comment.

Replies

• likeaphoenix28
    Options
    I'm just now getting back into exercise after several years of not doing anything. I started really slow and am slowly making my way up to doing more (due to pain when exercising-shin splints in left leg, etc.). I started doing 15 minutes on the treadmill at a slow pace. I've worked up to just about 30 minutes now at a slow pace. I will continue to increase the time I exercise, then work on the speed that I'm going. I think starting for 15 minutes on the treadmill is a great way to start. I just wouldn't push myself too hard if I were you, in case the injury decides to make a come back. You can do it!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think 15 minutes on the treadmill to start is GREAT! As for starting with weights, I'd hesitate to suggest you use weights unsupervised like squats or lunges that could easily aggrivate that healing injury. I'd suggest working your core-sit ups, crunches--if your PT clears you to do them and maybe free weights on your arms, shoulders as well. If you have access to a gym, you can probably use machines that concentrate on one muscle group at a time to reduce the risk of reinjury.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes, my PT has cleared me but she says to do it slowly. My injury is more of an aggravating pain and not severe at this point.

I really think I should get a balance ball and do my core that way. The back pain injury really has thrown me "off balance" if that makes sense. At times you feel like you are 80 when you go down steps.

I have exercised before and have taken aerobics classes so not a stranger to exercising. I am just really out of shape at the moment and now worse since I let this injury get the best of me and that lead to weight gain. Of course this leads to frustration because I think I am not doing enough.

Thanks for you input. I will do the treadmill and hold off on the exercise machine. I think that is very wise. I am going to look into Pilates on a balance ball.
  • twilightsm
    Options
    I also have a bad back... I found that starting my daily exercise routine with Yoga For Aches and Pains really does help! And it will help with your flexiblity. Other great dvds to check out: Pick Your Level Pilates and Sweating to the Oldies. Both are totally designed for beginners :)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Start at 40% and SLOOOWLY work your way back up. Some loss in strength is to be expected.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great points, thanks to all.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am very familiar with the concept of starting slowly. I tried several times to start running again after a 13 year break and I always did too much, too soon and ended up hurting myself (even though I felt great while running). Then I would have to take several weeks off and inevitably gave up.

Then I took the couch-2-5K plan and modified it to suit me. My goal was to be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) for my age. That meant running 2 miles in under 18:18.

I forced myself to stick to the plan, even though I was convinced that I could have done more and felt great. I work out MWF before work so each week only represents 3 workouts.

Week 1: Walk at 2.5 mph on a treadmill for 27 min. (I have long legs so that's a slow pace for me.)
    Week 2: Walk 1 min. @ 2.5 mph, 25 min. @ 3.0 mph and 1 min. @ 2.5 mph.
    Week 3: Walk 1 min. @ 2.5, 1 min. @ 3.0, 23 min. @ 3.5, 1 min. @ 3.0, 1 min. @ 2.5.
    Week 4: Same idea but with 21 min. @ 4.0 in the middle.

Then I began jogging @ 5.5 mph for 5 min. in the middle. I increased the running time by 5 min. per week until I was running for 18 min. It only took 8 weeks total to get to that point. I then increased the running speed .1 mph per week. It took 11 more weeks to reach my goal of running for 18:10 @ 6.6 mph. Here's what my workout looks like now:

(warm up)
    1 min. @ 2.5 mph
    1 min. @ 3.0 mph
    1 min. @ 3.5 mph
    2 min. @ 4.0 mph
    (run)
    18 min. @ 6.6 mph
    (cool down)
    1 min. @ 4.0
    1 min. @ 3.5
    1 min. @ 3.0
    1 min. @ 2.5
    stretch

I just started back doing pushups and situps and I made the exact same mistake. I did too many and was sore for two weeks. Then I remembered the experience with the running.

New Plan:
    Mon. - 1 sit-up and 1 push-up on Monday.
    Wed. - 2 of each.
    Fri. - 3 of each.
    and so on.

I'll hopefully continue that pattern but I'm prepared to only add one rep per week if necessary. I know it sounds like a ridiculously slow way to start but I know my body and that is what works for me.