Parents who have younger kids! HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everybody for your responses! It really helps a lot! You have no idea! Sounds like ignoring him is the common factor here! I've tried the corner but then he sits down and turns around not facing the wall! I just need to be stern and strict letting him know that I'm the boss! :)
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    for my 3 year old. He's great most of the time when the older boys aren't around but when he gets into those moods, he gets a warning then he gets time out and if he still does it he gets a spanking (which is very rarely). YES I SPANK MY CHILDREN! A little pop on the rear-end never hurt me so i'm sure its not going to hurt him. but that usually seems to do the trick.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 1/2 yr old and an almost 4 yr old. When they are in the midst pitching a fit, I make sure they cannot hurt themselves and I CALMLY explain that I will talk to them again when they pull themselves together, and I ignore them. I go do something else with the ohter child or alone in the next room and soon they amble in. They have to apologize for pitching the fit, and they have to explain as best they can why they got upset. At this point I can usually nip in the bud before they get too upset and in time you'll be able to do that, too.
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    When my 4 year old acts up and starts crying, I tell her to go to her room and do it there because I don't want to see it. She stops. It's all about getting attention and when they see that they are not getting it they will stop. At least that's what I experienced with my kids. I have a 12 (b), 8 (g), 7(b) and 4 (g).

I do this with my three year old daughter. Sometimes she will cry in her room for a little bit but usually all it takes is two minutes in her room to realize no one is paying attention. Also since implementing this she now chooses on occasions to go to her when she's overwhelmed (she doesn't do well with large groups, etc).
  • ccinatl
    ccinatl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We have two boys - 4 1/2 and a 2. about 6 months ago before our oldest son started pre-k - he really acted out a lot. we began consistently following through on punishments (timeouts & taking things away) even when it wasn't convenient for us - instead of just threats. It has made a huge difference in his behavior. it took a week or 2 to get things going the other direction. Good luck.
  • Ralstonk2
    Options
    We have two boys - 4 1/2 and a 2. about 6 months ago before our oldest son started pre-k - he really acted out a lot. we began consistently following through on punishments (timeouts & taking things away) even when it wasn't convenient for us - instead of just threats. It has made a huge difference in his behavior. it took a week or 2 to get things going the other direction. Good luck.

Did you ever ignore them when they were throwing a fit? How did you discipline them? Just a time out or taking a toy away? That's my problem is consistency. I never follow through on what I say I'm going to do. So then he never takes me seriously.
  • Ralstonk2
    Options
    I ignore tantrums OR I put them in time-out......

I currently have 4 three year olds screaming and running around my living room. I'll trade ya.

Does your ignoring work for your 4 kids? How long do they usually throw the tantrum for before they realize nobody's paying attention to them? It is all about attention isn't it?
  • Ralstonk2
    Options
    My kids are 7 and 2. I have always ignored tantrums. If you give them attention it makes the tantrums more regular and last longer as it's attention they are craving. Reward good behaviour. Give attention and praise for 'ordinary' good behaviour (like eating dinner, playing well with sibling etc..).

I also used time out with my 7 year old when he was younger, and will be using it again with the 2 year old when he's old enough to get it.

One warning for bad behaviour and then time out (bottom step of the stairs in this house but I don't like to call it the naughty step).

They DO grow out of it, I promise xx

Can you promise me how soon they'll grow out of it? LOL Cause I want it to be NOW! Well really months ago! But if I can get him a lot better in the next month I'll be the happiest mommy alive! Promise!
  • missmegs1908
    missmegs1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every kid is different so you have to find what works for you. The main things are consistancy and following through on what you say you are going to do. When he laughs and starts counting with you, what do you do? When you tell him to face the wall and he doesn't, what do you do? It's so easy to just let it go because the constant battle can be so exhausting. However, having no consequences for not listening to you, results in him leaning that he doens't have to do what you say.

At this point, I would say you need a different form of punishment (maybe his room or a new timeout spot) to sort of "reset" him. Then, when when he acts up, give him a warning (I would stay away from counting as he already thinks that's a joke). Be careful not to turn one warning into 5 (I'm very guiltly of this), and then if he keeps acting out, put him into his timeout area. If he moves, put him back. Keep doing this without any emotion. This may take a while as he has likely "learned" that if he whines, fights, etc enough, you will give in. Show him this is no longer the case.
    What it comes down to in the end, is showing him that you will follow though and are the boss!
    Good luck :)
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    I have 3 children under 5 years old. When one of them starts acting like this ive noticed they are over stimulated or under stimulated and acting out because of it. Most times if I get them involved in something to keep them busy or ask them to help me out or exercise with me it helps resolve the tantrum. Sometimes mine act out from sheer boredom. Usually a craft or alone time with mommy helps. If all else fails maybe alone time in their room to nap or play alone. They dont like it at first but i either find them playing quiet or sleeping. Good luck. Being a mom is the toughest job ive ever had and i understand your frustration!