Chris Powell Choose to Lose

Options
I just bought this book. I really like Chris Powell and want to know if anyone has read this book. If so, what do you think?

Replies

• Terriberry
    Options
    bump
  • mellowyellowof4
    Options
    I am interested in starting this diet plan...I haven't gotten the book yet...I've been searching the internet to get a better idea of the actual meals. are they something you can incorporate with your families meals or are you shopping separately for yourself and them? If the meals seem doable I would like to start and I would love a "choose to lose " board....though it might just be us ...lol...I did a search on MFP and found your post...I did see another one too...I will reply to her a well
  • nlc6899
    Options
    I just started on the Choose to Lose program. I've been doing no-carb or low carb off and on lately and thought that I would give this carb cycling thing a try since it's a little more disciplined than what I have been doing lately. I would love to have other people trying it with me. His book is exceptionally light on meal ideas. I've been pulling out my other low carb books just to come up with meal plans, and I would love to hear other people's ideas.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Reading this right now...started the general carb cycling process last week :) We shall see...
  • mellowyellowof4
    Options
    I ended up getting the book....looks interesting...but not many meal choices.I have to play around with some ideas...right now just tracking and watching calories...
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I got the book and I am trying to incorporate some of his ideas into my diet, carb cycling and one cheat day each week. tomorrow is my weigh in day, so I will see what week two has brought loss-wise. The first week it was 4 pounds. Oh and I do exercise every day, not his program, but I try to get over 400 burn every day.:smile:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I just finished 5 days on an altered version of it because I hadn't finished the book. I was down almost 3 lbs for weigh in on Saturday. I love the idea of it.

I can do anything for 1 day, LOW to no carb.

And I like the idea that I can have a free eat day up to a certain calorie amount on Sunday's, That's today. YAY.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I finished the book. I think I am going to try it. Not having much luck on my own. We shall see.
  • ckmama
    Options
    C- i'm on Week 2 and so far seems to be going well. I've noticed a drop in my water intake this week, so I need to up that and its TOM this week so we'll see if it goes down at weigh in.

I know that the foods I crave during the week I write down so I can have them on Sunday, of course up to my alottment.

Today is Low Carb for me, YUCK, but I can do 1 day.
  • Mummsy
    Options
    Kat: Can you give me a whole day example of what you eat on a high day and then on a low day? Are you following his exercise plan? Lemme know. Glad you are doing well with it. You are inspiring me. :)
  • mrpritchett
    mrpritchett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I have been doing Chris Powell's 7 Day Carb Solution (what you have been talking about) since January 1. When I started, I weighed 347.7 pounds and stood 6' tall. I had been on MFP for a while before that and tried calorie counting, exercise and a few other things with no success. My wife and I (she weighed 165) decided to really get motivated and do this. She has lost almost 10 pounds (at last weigh in) and I have lost 22.3 pounds as of today. I could have lost more but we went overboard on some of our cheat days. My goal is to have lost 50 pounds by March 1 and 75 by April 1. I would love to answer any questions you may have about the plan as I really believe in it and have been doing tons of research into it and how/why it works!
  • ckmama
    Options
    That was totally my issue my last cheat day. I need to remember that day has a calorie limit too and Free day doesn't mean all you can eat day.

Thanks for sharing your success i'm on week 3 right now and will weigh in Saturday.

Did you do the slingshot week high carb days like he suggest every 4th week?
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skhoy0006
    Options
    Gonna bump this.... very interested. I think I will go buy the book. I have lost 40 lbs (20 on Weight Watchers) and 20 on MFP. I've been stuck for a while... .maybe I need to try something new.
  • Mummsy
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I have been doing Chris Powell's 7 Day Carb Solution (what you have been talking about) since January 1. When I started, I weighed 347.7 pounds and stood 6' tall. I had been on MFP for a while before that and tried calorie counting, exercise and a few other things with no success. My wife and I (she weighed 165) decided to really get motivated and do this. She has lost almost 10 pounds (at last weigh in) and I have lost 22.3 pounds as of today. I could have lost more but we went overboard on some of our cheat days. My goal is to have lost 50 pounds by March 1 and 75 by April 1. I would love to answer any questions you may have about the plan as I really believe in it and have been doing tons of research into it and how/why it works!

Great job. I am on my first full week of cycling. I am sick and exercise is not gonna happen this week as it should unfortunately. I hope you keep posting. Interested in how it continues to go for you all.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    I have gone though 1 full week of this as of today! When I weighted in on saturday I was down 1 pound ... that might not be a lot to anyone else... but I have been stuck for months and months... I can't wait to see what another week brings....
    I am not following his workout plan, as it would be very hard for me to do (I am in a conditioning class at school where we do a new workout M & W... I also do glove boxing on monday nights, train 2 clients on wed. nights (I workout with them) and take 7 mile walks on t/r/f mornings.... The weekends I do the elliptical during family movie night, and sundays I TRY to rest...LOL!
    I just don't think I could or even want to add anything else...
    I am loving the days though, I don't mind eating low carb on M/W/F, it is just hard to plan my families supper so I can still eat with them!
    Friend me if you would like... I would love more support with this whole carb cycling!
  • ckmama
    Options
    I've been stuck for a long time before starting CTL

I'm on week 4 all high carbs week, it's kind of scary b/c I think "how is this going to work" so we will see. I'm down overall from 253 lbs at start 3 weeks ago to 246.6 on Saturday.

I have my calories higher than he suggest for women and I haven't been watching my calories on free days, which I need to do.

My calories for high days is 1800 and low carb 1500. That is what is reasonable to me.
  • ckmama
    Options
    I have gone though 1 full week of this as of today! When I weighted in on saturday I was down 1 pound ... that might not be a lot to anyone else... but I have been stuck for months and months... I can't wait to see what another week brings....
    I am not following his workout plan, as it would be very hard for me to do (I am in a conditioning class at school where we do a new workout M & W... I also do glove boxing on monday nights, train 2 clients on wed. nights (I workout with them) and take 7 mile walks on t/r/f mornings.... The weekends I do the elliptical during family movie night, and sundays I TRY to rest...LOL!
    I just don't think I could or even want to add anything else...
    I am loving the days though, I don't mind eating low carb on M/W/F, it is just hard to plan my families supper so I can still eat with them!
    Friend me if you would like... I would love more support with this whole carb cycling!

I had big issues with meal planning then I just started eating the protien and veg part of the meal and wouldn't eat the carb part. I feel "meated" out by the end of my low carb day...:laugh:

I think you should be okay with your current workouts. I've been doing his and I thought I was really working out well, but I sweat like a nasty Pig doing his cardio, don't know why, guess i'm sweaty.
  • Mummsy
    Options
    Starting my official week 2. Not weighing until Saturday. Got my shredders and shaper in today. :noway:
  • Mummsy
    Options
    Weighed today. UP .2 which is no big deal but I don't get why at my weight, pounds aren't just falling off no matter what I do. Sheesh. I guess I am just old. Getting a lil frusrated.:yawn: