Does it matter what you eat as long as you are under your ca

Options
so i exercise and i stay below my cal defecit. i dont ever eat cookies or cake or anything really sugary like ever. MAYBE once a montha and thats just a maybe. but everything else like anything else as long as im under my goals and exercise id lose weight? or be doing good at least. im just curious as to if i should change stuff i eat. like say people say "oh your supposed to stay away from bread while your dieting" things of that nature or does it not matter as long as im not above my calorie goal?

lol i hope this makes since. :P

Replies

• biologic
    Options
    you can lose weight just eating twinkies, but it isn't healthy (despite the weight loss) because you are depriving yourself of important vitamins and nutrients that you get through a balanced diet.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    A good question - I'd think that it's all calories in vs. calories out, as far as weight loss. However, I'd imagine that you'd not be too healthy if you ate your calorie allotment in solely cotton candy, so nutrition is important.... but I'm not a nutritionist.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is "that depends". As a general rule, your body will respond better the more nutrients you give it. That means healthy fats, green/leafy veggies, lean protein, etc. For me personally, I have to restrict carbs, but might not be the case for you. Best to avoid sugar.... it is hiding in so called healthy places like fruit juice and cereals.

If you are brave enough to share your food diary, and have friends that will give you honest feedback about what you eat, you will have a better chance.

Exercise is part of it too -- although losing weight is probably 80-90% about what you put in your mouth.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i find i'd rather eat healthier foods because they are less in cals and fat i can have more of it, but if i have one fatty meal or a big peice of cake it only pleases my taste buds and i end up eating more, i think its ok to treat yourself though as long as your going to put in the work to burn it off
  • mommyhas4boyss
    mommyhas4boyss Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yea that is what i was wondering. i dont ever eat sweets the sweetest thing that im addicted to is chocolate milk and i havent had that in prolly 2 months. so thanks guys thats what i was lookin for. i was always curious as if it really is WHAT you eat or HOW MUCH you eat. :) as in weight loss i know nutrition is important but i was wondering for weight loss. i think im pretty good on the nutrition part :)
  • mommyhas4boyss
    mommyhas4boyss Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is "that depends". As a general rule, your body will respond better the more nutrients you give it. That means healthy fats, green/leafy veggies, lean protein, etc. For me personally, I have to restrict carbs, but might not be the case for you. Best to avoid sugar.... it is hiding in so called healthy places like fruit juice and cereals.

If you are brave enough to share your food diary, and have friends that will give you honest feedback about what you eat, you will have a better chance.

Exercise is part of it too -- although losing weight is probably 80-90% about what you put in your mouth.

yea i have it where my friends can see my food diary but no one ever comments. on it.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on you. I know some people that feel wheat is a big problem, it causes the excess stomach weight (the tire tube if you will) that they don't want. I have never personally found it a problem. You'll get to eat more if you choose better foods, for me that is a big thing since, in my head, I believe quantity fills you not calories.

I think calories are calories and you will lose weight with the deficit, but you will probably feel better (wanting to exercise more) with a healthy diet. Also, you may target problem areas and lose inches instead of just weight (which could just be water loss).
  • o0sunshine0o
    Options
    I think it matters a lot! You can just limit your calories but it won't do much to your form. You might lose all your weight but still feel unhappy. It's important, esp. if you are working out, to maintain a diet that is full of protein and veggies. Your body will change a lot faster if you eat correctly.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think if you fill your days with healthy nutrious food you'll have an easier time sticking with it rather than eating stuff that's just going to suck your calories and not fill you up.
  • hispraiseinme
    hispraiseinme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on whole foods. It truly is calories in, calories out. Your body will function and release weight better with the whole foods. Such as protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies, good healthy fats. I tend to hold onto weight if I'm eating sugar or processed foods. Now my focus is on whole foods. Foods are healing.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Question: what is your goal? To lose weight or to get healthy?

Also "healthy" foods are generally lower in calories and higher in protein and fiber. These usually keep you full longer and allow you to eat more for your calorie goal.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    If all you ate was twinkies which is 150 cals(I think). So you ate 8 twinkes a day and thats it Do you think thats enough to lose weight?
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you only concerned with weight loss? Or do you want a healthy eating lifestyle. That's the difference I think.

I like to eat completely healthy and the pounds are just a huge bonus! :)

And my body is very picky. It holds on to weight if I eat too much sugar. Even fruit.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If all you ate was twinkies which is 150 cals(I think). So you ate 8 twinkes a day and thats it Do you think thats enough to lose weight?
    It is, assuming you don't get hungry from eating only that and binge because of it and that it's under your TDEE.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    However, I'd imagine that you'd not be too healthy if you ate your calorie allotment in solely cotton candy,

*runs away sobbing*
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think if you fill your days with healthy nutrious food you'll have an easier time sticking with it rather than eating stuff that's just going to suck your calories and not fill you up.
    This is more so what it comes down to. You should eat things higher in protein as a way to keep yourself sated and not in danger of binge eating.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    well you should take out all carbs cause if you ever go back to them you will gain wait plus since you were deprived for so long. just limit them. i feel better when i eat healthy than if i eat junk. but i do allow myself that one piece of junk a day. today was a cinn roll (i called it lunch) but usally it's something smaller for a snack like a glass of ch. milk or a smidgen (83 cals each). that way i do not feel total deprived. and i don't feel like i have to binge at a latter date. if i want something like birthday cake/icecream or to eat out or what ever i try to plan a few days in advance so i can work my calories out for that day maybe throw in an extra gym workout.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Technically..... yes, buuuuuuuut......

There are a million different answers we could all give you. For instance, if you are a runner, you should probably keep lots of carbs in your diet. Or, if you're lifting alot of weights you should eat your body weight in grams of protein everyday.

Like others above said, it's a numbers game. You'll lose weight eating garbage OR the good stuff (as long as you are burning more calories than you take in), but you'll be lacking in nutrients your body needs to fuel you through workouts. So it's best to eat lots of lean protein (helps you stay fuller for longer), veggies and fruits, and whole grains.
  • nashtyone
    Options
    YES it does matter. Eating the correct foods will help your metabolism cook up high. You need a lot of protein, low sodium, and low fat and carbs. It's too complex to get into specifics, if you want an example, my food diary is public, take a peek.
  • rea21
    rea21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this is all great information as i just eat my calorie intake,its great to read eveyones views::laugh: thanks eveyone