Does it matter what you eat as long as you are under your ca

Options
2»

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    YES it does matter. Eating the correct foods will help your metabolism cook up high. You need a lot of protein, low sodium, and low fat and carbs. It's too complex to get into specifics, if you want an example, my food diary is public, take a peek.

Too low of fat is actually dangerous. Same with carbs and sodium.

Everything in proper porportion.

Technially you can lose (as mentioned). But it's hard to just eat 1 supersized McDonalds meal vs 3 other meals with better nutritional value
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by eating anything within your calorie allowance, but to be healthy you should eat a balanced diet with everything in moderation :) you will get a load more food for the same calories by choosing fresh healthy foods like fruit and veggies, lean meat, healthy fats, whole grain bread, rice, pasta etc and occasional treats.
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As long as you use your common since, as it seems you are you should be fine. As you log your food you will be able to see what foods are more helpful to you and what foods are not. For me its cheese, its also my favorite food! You will figure yours out as the weeks go on. BEST WISHES!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mommyhas4boyss
    mommyhas4boyss Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. i dont think i eat unhealthy. i used to. i NEVER cooked. i just get take out or buy some pizzas to stick in the oven. but i have changed all that and i cook every night and try to get veggies in there and if i dont i will have a salad during the day. i think im doing quite well for myself now that i have joined mfp. i was just curious about all this though cause alot of people tell me while im dieting i cant have this and this and this and this. and i was just wondering if WEIGHT LOSS and DIETING really is so much punishment. lol. but you all have really helped me understand all this more clearly. Thank you!! :) and good luck to everyone on their journeys!! <3
  • nashtyone
    Options
    YES it does matter. Eating the correct foods will help your metabolism cook up high. You need a lot of protein, low sodium, and low fat and carbs. It's too complex to get into specifics, if you want an example, my food diary is public, take a peek.

Too low of fat is actually dangerous. Same with carbs and sodium.

Everything in proper porportion.

Technially you can lose (as mentioned). But it's hard to just eat 1 supersized McDonalds meal vs 3 other meals with better nutritional value

Agreed, but most people don't realize the insane amount of sodium they put in their body, you should try to stay under 2k a day. I also think that the default carb goal on mfp is high. Again, moderation, I don't condone no carbs or fat.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Assuming your diet has a reasonable amount of macro and micro nutrient balance, no it doesn't.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that weight loss as it pertains to calories isn't always the same as eating healthy. But I've also found that eating healthier allows you to eat more quantity per calorie plus get your micronutrients in at the same time.
  • Yvonne6928
    Options
    There's an old saying "You are what you eat"...I believe that!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, I think moderation is key in weight-loss & a healthy lifestyle. It's bad to restrict yourself from everything, you would probably just end up bingeing (my experience) I just try to make the things I want the healthiest way possible. I avoided eating wheat bread or any bread for so long but recently I decided I needed more fiber etc, I found out natures way or natures own? 100% whole wheat bread is only 50 calories per slice (not bad) I was always using the 100 cal bread which isn't gross but is not near as tasty as a slice of good wheat bread. Anyways... I love baking, so If I bake I use splenda's baking sugar and baking brown sugar, 0 calories! and vegetable butter country crock light. So it cuts calories/fat/sugar in half! You can still have the things you want if you are willing to look into alternative products and get creative with you're cooking. Also I don't count sugar in fruit because I don't care what anyone says, Fruit is healthy! I only take processed/added sugars into consideration. But I think you should try to eat as healthy as you can while still enjoying your food. Luckily I love all veggies & I'm vegetarian & 90% of the time vegan. So besides my sweet tooth I do pretty well with using my calories on healthy food.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. i dont think i eat unhealthy. i used to. i NEVER cooked. i just get take out or buy some pizzas to stick in the oven. but i have changed all that and i cook every night and try to get veggies in there and if i dont i will have a salad during the day. i think im doing quite well for myself now that i have joined mfp. i was just curious about all this though cause alot of people tell me while im dieting i cant have this and this and this and this. and i was just wondering if WEIGHT LOSS and DIETING really is so much punishment. lol. but you all have really helped me understand all this more clearly. Thank you!! :) and good luck to everyone on their journeys!! <3

I don't really think you should think of it as dieting, but more of a lifestyle change. It sounds like you are starting off with some great changes by adding veggies, cooking at home, eating salads. For now, I would say keep doing what you're doing-just stay under your cal intake, watch your portions, and keep trying to make healthy choices. See where that gets you, and in a month or two, re-evaluate. I know I can usually lose a good amount of weight with just calorie counting, but I eat a lot of whole foods. If I want to get down to a lower weight than usual, I often have to tweak my diet a bit more. See what your body responds to, and tweak your plan accordingly. :flowerforyou:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It mostly has to do with with calories in/calories out.

However, eating all your calories in junk can be dangerous. Dieting often leads to nutrient loss, while exercising can lead to a drop in electrolytes. If the food you're eating doesn't replace those nutrients and electrolytes (potassium is a biggie), it can cause problems, some severe enough to require hospitalization.

From what I've seen, you're doing fine, however. Having chocolate now and then is okay. In fact, it's great! Keep it up!
  • Aerodynamicism
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is. I've lost a significant amount of weight without making any changes to what I eat. I'm a junk food addict, so my method for losing weight used to be to just eat less junk. It isn't by any means healthy though, and it won't lead to successful weight loss in the long term, at least not for me. In my experience, the only way to lose weight and keep it off is by making a lifestyle change.
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think in the long run it is very important. For me it's not just about weight loss but about getting healthier. I try to eat a balanced diet that includes the following:
    2 -3 serves of fruit - I try to pick at mostly low gi ones because they stave off those afternoon munches,
    5 serves of veges - i try to eat a lot of low gi vegetables.
    I am currently challenging myself to eat at least ten different sortsf fruit and vege a day
    2 serves of dairy - I choose low fat varietys - skim milk and low fat yogurts, custard.
    Low gi carbs with my breakfast and lunch meals. I often skip complex carbs at my night meal but if I do have them I will limit the amount and try to make them low gi.
    3 serves of protein a day. I have protein with my three main meals always. I eat fish, chicken, beef, lamb, pork but I also have things like baked beans, chick peas etc.
    I have low fat cheese and cottage cheese a few times a week. I am a cheese fan so if I do have full fat cheeses I have to be really careful not to eat too much.
    Healthy fats - I have at least one serve of healthy fats per day - avocado, nuts etc and try to stay away from the not so good ones.
    I have the occasional alcoholic drink - maybe once a week.
    I limit my drinking of diet soft drinks because I was a diet coke addict and know that I could easily go back there.
    I drink at least 2 liters of water a day as this is my persoanl goal. I never used to drink much at all.

So I want to not only lose weight but I want to make sure my hair, skin, nails, teeth, heart, liver, blood and other organs have what they need to function effectively. Ther is no point being thin if I am sick or look like crap.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A well balanced diet will afford the safest weight loss and the longer lasting weight loss. I also found as I got closer to goal that I had to be more careful about refined sugar and sodium. If either of those got too high, it didn't matter what my caloric intake was, I stalled. That isn't true of everyone, but for some it is.

There is no food I "can't" eat. I try to plan the less healthy options into my meal plan, but if I can't, I eat a small portion if I want it at all. And those less healthy options are treats, not usually even weekly.