Why you should eat your exercise calories

Options

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    There is a good chance that your BMR is low because you have been consistently under eating which hurts LBM as noted before. And since your metabolic rate is directly calculated by the amount of LBM, the less you have the slower the metabolism. This is very apparent in long distance runners since they burn so many calories during their runs. If you want to change your metabolism though, then you need to eat more and increase lbm, which actually means eating a surplus. But in the end, it's all about what you care about. Do you care about a metabolism or weight?

My metabolism was at the same level of efficiency when I was overeating as well.

I care more about body fat % which right now translates into weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I posted this a while ago, but I have been seeing more and more new members asking whether or not they should be eating them back.

Short answer: YES!

Here is why: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

MFP has already created a deficit for you. When you don't eat your exercise calories back you are creating an even larger deficit which can cause you to stop losing. I strongly suggest you to read the link I provided for details!

After reading this article, I realized that my biggest problem is my all or nothing approach to fitness and weight loss. Over the last year (2011) I have lost and gained the same 6 or so lbs, hovering between 174 and 180 - all year. I'm female, 5' 7", 47, muscular, physical job (constuction). I restricted on and off my calories, and did intense periods of working out (P90X - 9 weeks, ended up really sick, high fever etc. then took a break for 10 weeks, then Insanity 7 weeks - no weight loss). As you can see I have rollercoastered with my on again, off again approach and it has got me no where! And very stressed out.

I have restarted the New Year doing an Insanity/P90X Hybrid and am concerned that I don't repeat the over-training and clearly undereating I was doing before. I am not working right now so have set my activity to slightly active on MFP. I use a HRM for all my workouts but reduce the total burned by 20% to allow for normal base and errors. Should I focus on my net calories? Make sure they are between 1200 and 1500 a day? Its so hard. About 5 years ago, I ran 3 miles, 3 x a week and ate normally and lost 40 lbs over 4 months. Why is it so much harder now?

I would highly suggest adding your activity level into your TDEE calculation and create a small deficit (.5 lbs per week). I did p90x and ate 1800 and didn't lose anything. As a man that is way too few calories. I then did CLX and ate 2600 calories and lost 5 lbs (of my 10 i wanted), 3% body fat and 6" (hips, waist and abs; 2" in each area). I am now doing p90x2 and eating 2800-3000 calories and even after two weeks I can start to see some more definition as well as losing 4 lbs so far. Fueling the body is important, especially when you want to be fit and have a high metabolism. Doing a P90X and insanity hybrid will make you very active in terms of TDEE.

Thank you. I shall adjust my MFP to moderately active, and should I resume my normal work, to highly active. Also the .5 lbs a week too instead of the 2 lbs I have now. I'm also planning to try spiking one day a week.

Also, keep in mind with this approach you don't eat back your exercise calories. If you do want to validate your number and discuss further, hit me up on private message.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a good chance that your BMR is low because you have been consistently under eating which hurts LBM as noted before. And since your metabolic rate is directly calculated by the amount of LBM, the less you have the slower the metabolism. This is very apparent in long distance runners since they burn so many calories during their runs. If you want to change your metabolism though, then you need to eat more and increase lbm, which actually means eating a surplus. But in the end, it's all about what you care about. Do you care about a metabolism or weight?

My metabolism was at the same level of efficiency when I was overeating as well.

Do you know your weight and body fat now? Also, are you trying to increase LBM and decrease BF%?
  • myoldselfback
    myoldselfback Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me and why would you complain about eating more if you've burned it off.
    I guess it's the fear we all have about gaining.

Have you read any of his books? It looks like he knows what he's talking about.
  • NamiraWilhelm
    Options
    this is all really interesting, and could be my problem. I've been doing an hour exercise a day and only eating 1200 kcals a day on average and seen no progress; i even came off the pill in case that was having an effect.

I'm still not entirely sure how many kcals i should aim for, sorry i'm a bit of a thicko with technical stuff like this. So we're saying eat BACK what you've exercised, on top of what? The recommended amount i should be eating or...? (5 ft1 and 132lbs)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    this is all really interesting, and could be my problem. I've been doing an hour exercise a day and only eating 1200 kcals a day on average and seen no progress; i even came off the pill in case that was having an effect.

I'm still not entirely sure how many kcals i should aim for, sorry i'm a bit of a thicko with technical stuff like this. So we're saying eat BACK what you've exercised, on top of what? The recommended amount i should be eating or...? (5 ft1 and 132lbs)

eat all of the calories that MFP tells you to (at least 1200 plus the cals you burn from exercise)
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    some days I eat my workout calories and others I do not. It really depends on my hunger, at the end of the day if I have extra calories and I am not hungry I do not eat. But then there are other days I come really close to going over. I am losing so this is working for me. Everyone is different but if I do a workout that burns 700-900 calories I doubt I can eat all of them. I will eat some but not all, I do make sure I at least eat the 1200 a day!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Do you know your weight and body fat now? Also, are you trying to increase LBM and decrease BF%?

Yup of course ;) I am 220 lbs, and have 24.43% body fat as of January 1st. I'm trying to decrease BF%. My goal is to get under 20% BF.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i usally have a 100 or so deficite. but i figure i eat that with little things. a m&m here an openers fee (1 bite) for the kids snack :)
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat back, as I want a reward for exercising, but other times I will save them for when I go over. Today being a great example, a bacon cheeseburger and strawberry daiquiri for lunch isn't the healthiest diet plan in the world!
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    I say eat it but make sure it counts. Eating junk and sugar is just going to slow progress.... fuel yourself with good food and eat up those calories!!
  • mgerbitz85
    Options
    Thank you! I've been looking for this kind of information! Will put to good use...
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat my exercise calories back until I stopped losing weight and got stuck at 119, Then I started eating mine back after talking to a few people on here, I starting losing again and now am down to 116. I say eat them!
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Since I've been of MFP and following the "fill up your workout calories" routine, I've found I'm really not that hungry, and I'm currently on a 1230 calorie a day plan. Yesterday I ate well over that, but I went to the gym and had a great workout burning most of the excess, so it all evened out.

And the cortisol thing makes sense - your body stresses when you don't eat enough, creates/stores cortisol/fat, so you either retain what you're trying to burn or gain more (I could be slightly off but that's how I interpreted it). Very interesting.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bearbratz
    Options
    I have a daily calorie goal of 2360 but with all the workouts I do I never even really get close, so therefore In the last week I haven't really lost weight. My question is what foods should I be eating as I have no idea what foods I "should" be eating?
  • rocuf
    rocuf Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eating back you kcals is great for the under 50lbs to go crowd, but if you are like me needing to loose 175lbs every calorie burned up is a step closer and faster. That said, i eat at slightly under my daily goal and only eat exercise if i am really hungry and normally only half of my exercise kcals.
  • chaineyart
    Options
    bump bump bump for later!
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    maybe im slow but i dont understand the article

Eating too few calories can actually slow down the rate at which you lose weight. This can be confusing as all too often you are told that the way to lose weight is to eat less calories and exercise. While technically this is true, it is important to understand that your body needs a certain amount of calories in order to function. If you are eating too few calories, your body feels like it is starving. At this point, your body will actually begin to store fat and your metabolism will begin to slow down. When your metabolism slows down, it burns calories at a slow speed and basically puts your body into neutral mode. Basically, your weight loss efforts are going nowhere and you stop losing weight. The amount of calories you should intake to remain healthy depends on your body weight and activity level. Before you can determine how many calories are too few calories, you must find the amount of calories that your body needs to survive. There are many online calculators that are able to calculate this for you. These calculators generally do not include exercise. Therefore, if you do any activity at all, including walking to the car, you must add calories to this number. This is an important number and you must take it seriously. Eating too few calories below this number will cause serious damage to your body. Never take in less than 1200 calories per day. Once you determine what you need to survive, you will need to determine what calories you need to maintain your existing weight. There are also online calculators to help you with this task. After you determine what calories are needed to maintain the weight, you will be able to determine how many calories you need to lose weight. It is important to understand that you must lose weight at a reasonable rate, or your body will go into starvation mode. This is usually about one to two pounds per week. All you need to do this is to reduce or burn about 500 extra calories each day. It is important to include exercise into this equation. Try cutting back on 300 calories per day as well as burn 200 calories by exercising. Eating too few calories can slow down your weight loss efforts by slowing down your metabolism and causing serious health problems.

Hope this helps....

Thanks for all of that information. I think that I am in a platearu right now, so I will probably try eating a few calories back and also change up my workout routine as well.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    bookmarking for future reference as this topic is oft-repeated.