Olive Oil Warning

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Go to the website I just posted. It is not the health food they hype it up to be, neither are grains........especially wheat.

I wouldn't call it a "health food" but I wouldn't demonize it either. I can find research to demonize ANY food out there if I want to. Of all the fats available, considering cost, availability, versatility, etc...I think you'll be OK with canola oil.

I will gladly spend money on quality oils as I have a wide range............Olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, macadamia nut oil, pumpkin seed oil, avocado oil.

I know these are healthy for me and those will be what I will only eat. We have arranged our budget to include nutrient dense foods only in our household. I would rather spend way more on food, than to spend it on doctor visits.

And yes, there are many foods that need to be demonized because they should really have no place in our eating plans. Whether you want to believe it or not, it will eventually effect your health.
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try using coconut oil instead. It's quite expensive but a tub lasts a long time!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This is like the whole "cheese" v. "cheese food" thing.

Buyer beware.

Marketing people are 99% evil.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Whew, just looked at mine... It's 100% olive oil!!
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check mine...usually get mine from Trader Joe's would be surprised if it's not the real stuff!

Thanks for sharing, good to be aware of!
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Mine doesn't say! D:
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    rapeseed oil? That's the name? lol ..... so .... RAPEish. eck. Someone couldn't name it better?

It's the seed of the rape plant. duh! lol teehee
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just read this article recently. Apparently, even if it claims it is imported from Italy, or doesn't have it marked on the label as being a mix, it may not be the real thing.

"“I was sitting in a dark bar with an undercover cop in Italy, and he was telling me about deals being cut with high-level politicians and millions of dollars in EU subsidies being misappropriated,” Mueller told the New York Post. “He was speaking in this hushed tone, and I had to laugh, because this was not black-market plutonium or drugs, this was olive oil.”

Mueller contends that because true olive oil is so pricey to produce, some companies have taken to doctoring bottles with chemicals and disguising cheaper oils with added flavoring.

Then they slap on fancy labels with buzzwords like "Made in Italy" and "Cold-pressed" and ship them to stores without any rigorous quality control from the FDA, he says."
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-hottest-new-grocery-scam-could-be-lurking-in-your-pantry-right-now.html

I just checked my own bottles, they dont' even have an ingredients list.
  • Walawender33
    Walawender33 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine has one ingredient...organic extra virgin olive oil
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Before a
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    My dietician suggested that to avoid confusion when buying olive oil, it should be in a plastic or crystal bottle and the oil should look yellow-greenish, not yellowish. Also, do not buy it in dark containers. Read the labels carefully. A lot of companies like to mix a bit of olive oil with other oils and sell it at outrageous prices.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    rapeseed oil? That's the name? lol ..... so .... RAPEish. eck. Someone couldn't name it better?

It's the seed of the rape plant. duh! lol teehee
    That is correct. Did you think you were making a joke?
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We do use some olive oil at home, but mostly use sunflower oil, which is made by a local producer. We are locavores -- almost all of our food is from local farmers and unprocessed. It is reassuring to know where our food comes from.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just checked my Great Value pure olive oil. It says ingredience: olive oil.

Hope I can believe that.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound like a broken record but ... The book "The Perfect 10 Diet" totally covers all of this. I swear, I love this book!
  • Grokette
    Options
    We do use some olive oil at home, but mostly use sunflower oil, which is made by a local producer. We are locavores -- almost all of our food is from local farmers and unprocessed. It is reassuring to know where our food comes from.

Awesome!!!

I am a Paleo Locavore. :laugh:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,973 Member
    Options
    The honey man at the farmers' market told me that a lot of honey isn't honey, either. :angry:
  • oodlesnoodles
    oodlesnoodles Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My Whole Foods Olive oil is 100% extra virgin olive oil and its cold pressed. :)
  • Grokette
    Options
    The honey man at the farmers' market told me that a lot of honey isn't honey, either. :angry:

A lot of honey has HFCS added to it so they can make more using less honey. These food corporations are ruining our food supply.

That is why I opt for local foods from my area where you can see where and how it is grown...........no matter if it is meat, eggs, vegetables or fruit.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I am a label reader. My olive oil is 100% unless they're lying on the label. Husband called from the grocery store the other night to ask if he should buy X product, and I said... "read the label, dammit!" The front said "all natural" or some such bs, and I just rolled my eyes and asked him what was his problem with reading labels... so he turned it over and started reading the label and of course there was all sorts of junk in it.

If you truly care not to eat junk yet you don't want to take the time to read a label.... well, you get what you put into it.

Now, if companies are lying about ingredients, that's another battle entirely. I do know they try to cover up MSG with all sorts of other names...